42RLE and 45RFE Transmission Filter and Gasket Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Due to leaks, I gave up on goop and stamped steel pans.
Machined aluminum, (cools quickly) solved all leaks, and with drain plug and can mount temp sensor in it as well.
https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11044.php
60350[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 0Ip62Pq.jpg
    0Ip62Pq.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 10

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use right stuff for all my gasket sealing but the pan on there now looks a bit crusty ...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years back I replaced my OE ****** pan on the 02 with a Dorman. OE pan was crusty and PO must have overtorqued the bolts as it was a bit warped and didn't seal well. No drain plug in the replacement but the thickness and coating looked to be just as good as the original. Worked great until I got rid of it.

LibOhToo

Reaction score
Recently dropped my trans pan for service @ 87k on my '02 with a 45RFE transmission. It appeared to have been the first time the pan has been removed. The pan was in good shape overall and has the ridges between the holes. It was sealed with black sealant only, no gasket. The sump and spin-on filters were both Mopar stamped.

Inside the pan was clean and the magnet had a small amount of fine pieces of metal adhered to it, looking like a small fuzzy doughnut.

I ordered a Wix filter kit as a replacement. One filter made in China and the other in Mexico. The gasket was a black rubber type.

I installed the new gasket ring for the pan filter- was a bugger to get the old off. Installed filters. Installed gasket mated to transmission, and Black RTV on pan. Torqued into place as per RTV directions for curing time.

All turned out well thus far with a re-torque follow up soon.

I considered a new steel stamped pan with a drain in it and also the drill-in plug kit. Ultimately decided against b/c I didn't feel comfortable with a flimsy bottom mounted drain plug in thin sheetmetal.

Reason I did this service: Other than not knowing the service history, the color of the ATF+4 fluid was a dark color. It did not sit well with me.

Since the service, the transmission does feel somewhat smoother.

Rockefeller

Reaction score
My appologies, i did make another phone call to a guy that i know who works on transmissions for a living. According to him some of the earlier uses of the 45RFE in Dodge/Chrysler vehicles did use RTV sealant for the pan.

justjeeps

Reaction score
Here is the two gaskets i verified would work on the 42RLE, i compared them physically one over the top of the other.

ATP TG111
Fel-Pro TOS18743

Myself i would go with the Fel-Pro, its the rubber/cork blended gasket. I have used their valve cover, transmission pan, oil pan, gaskets for other projects with no leaks and no problems.

The ATP is the cheaper cork only type gasket like the picture in my first post.

Both gaskets and all the filters are available from RockAuto.com and a few others, though Rock seems to be about the cheapest when it comes to shipping as well.
extreme caution..- they can be stretch beyond usability very easy or at least mine did... I used black rtv on the 03 and did use a gasket with silicone on the 02.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an aftermarket recommendation for the transmission filter that is laid out like OEM and has worked fine? If so what parts store?

First thing I thought of was check with NAPA to see if Wix makes one. IDK.

Mopar is on backorder right now.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I've only heard of the gasket splitting, not the Mopar transmission filter having issues.
From Rock Auto they list a lot of aftermarket ones available....

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me either and the person that said this to me may not have said it how he meant to. They are a Mopar shop and would put a Mopar filter in if they did the service. And it wasn't meant to discourage me from using a Mopar filter, nor would it. This is a place with about an acre full of Jeeps and Dodges sitting waiting to be worked on. You know the volume level is to the point if a thing has ever happened, they have seen it.

He could have been meaning the same thing the other guy was trying to tell me about the oring getting messed up. The point was they had seen my issue before and sucking air was the culprit.

I found an ATP brand filter I can walk in and buy? I saw that brand here referenced for gaskets?

I am thinking about just going that route, and if I am not impressed with it, going ahead and ordering the mopar filter and redoing it when it comes. Not ideal but the upside would be the fluid would end up 75%-ish new instead of 50%-ish.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, those of you that have been doing your own service, can you please take a look at this ATP filter and let me know what you think of it in comparison to the OEM Mopar filter??? I've always had the dealer do it. So I don't even know what the mopar filter looks like. I had to go into Napa today to pick up some hose to repair my cooler line and walked right out with it. Been ******** around with the dealer 2 weeks trying to get Mopar. Looking at pictures it looks like an exact replica. But I hate to rely on pictures and then find out different once I drop the pan. This is the ATP 1-7077.

Attachments

• filter4.jpeg
    filter4.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2
  • filter3.jpeg
    filter3.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2
  • filter0.jpeg
    filter0.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2
  • filter2.jpeg
    filter2.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 2

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I check the fluid level is, I went online and found a generic made in China ($5 shipped from China) stiff cable with mm marks on the tip, more than long enough to fit in to the bottom of the pan and tell me the level in mm? or is it cc?

But in adding fluid the directions say hot, and then how many mm. Or is it cc?

The webpage for the generic check stick (cable) specified for Chrysler etc.
dc

Reaction score
The short answer is "you can't"!

But, do you just mean the dipstick's missing - or there's no provision for one?
The manufacturer never put a dipstick in. This was common practice for Jeep/Chrysler. The tube going to the transmission is there but it has a cap on it.

Reaction score
Wonder if you could just get a dipstick from an early jeep in a scrapyard and use that?
That should work provided I can find the same transmission. The reason I asked is because my transmission will slip going from 1st to 2nd, but only when the transmission is cold. Once it warms up, it shifts great.

Latest posts

Members online