4 wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robslibby

Reaction score
This may sound dumb but I used my 4-lo today for the first time and it was really hard to shift out of, I was stopped and not moving and the shifter felt like it was locked and even as I pushed it down it would not budge I have a manual and the shifter was in neutral.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which brings up a good point... What is the max speed you can go in 4 low?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ScottZ0 said:
which brings up a good point... What is the max speed you can go in 4 low?

25mph. I dont believe Ive ever been close to that. Maybe when the tires are spinning.. But thats it. O:)

robslibby

Reaction score
Do you think I might of caused damage to my transfer case trying to get it back to 2 wheel, it did go back after a couble of times.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably not, but you need to make sure next time you follow the directions in the manual.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, probably not... It's a tough critter. Next time just creep along slowly when shifting the transfer case.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
tulsa said:
Mine goes into 4w-lo easiest when stopped and in neutral, usually grinds just a little when coasting at 2-3mph

Mine too.

I think the manual says you are supposed to be moving 2-3mph because there is no syncromesh in 4lo. Mine slips right in when stopped and in the rare instance that it doesn't, I take my foot off the brake and let the Jeep inch forward and it goes right in. No grinding gears.

When shifting into 4lo it is not a straight pull back but a very "little" to the right - away from you - after you go through neutral in the t-case - (with the ****** in neutral also) and then straight back. If you are pulling the lever straight back you will get more resistance. I think it is this way so you don't shift into 4lo by accident.

It could be a little stiff because it's new and needs a little breaking in.

Good excuse to get on some dirt and try it - ha ha........

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I did 20mph with 4LO, just trying it out, it GRRRRR's pretty hard, though..

Members online

No members online now.