4.7 in a liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now im not actually going to do this, i think... im just curious to see who thinks like me and is wondering why chrysler didnt make a 4.7 option like the older cherokees had the 318. and would it actually be possible to do? room wise? just throwing it out there for some discussion. let me know what you think. they would definately be a lil quicker, lol.:D

this is reposted because i put it in the wrong forum.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cherokee had a bigger engine bay since it had a I-6(long). The libby couldnt pass crash test ratings with one.. I would like to see a v-8 in the libby.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when did the cherokee have a 318? I'm not doubting at all, just curious cuz I haven't been very knowledgeable of Jeeps until recently.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
maybe they meant GRAND cherokee?

I'm pretty sure the OP Did mean GRAND Cherokee because no Cherokee ever left the factory (for consumer use) with a V8 from 1984 - 2001.

The only KJ with a 4.7L is probably at Jeep-Truck Engineering and has possibly been destroyed by now. It did not pass crash testing... the engine busted through the firewall and ended up in the passenger compartment. That wouldn't be very fun now would it? :)

I never knew it to - I always thought it was a 2.5L I-4 or the 4.0L I-6.

..... and the 2.8L GM V6.... and a 2.1L Turbo Diesel...... and a 2.5L Turbo Diesel.....

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now im not actually going to do this, i think... im just curious to see who thinks like me and is wondering why chrysler didnt make a 4.7 option like the older cherokees had the 318. and would it actually be possible to do? room wise? just throwing it out there for some discussion. let me know what you think. they would definately be a lil quicker, lol.:D

this is reposted because i put it in the wrong forum.
It will fit,I've measured and plan on doing this mod(sometime after the SFA).You need a certian year vehicle for a donor(the whole vehicle is best for the little things you need+ the PCM and wiring harness),depending on the year of your KJ a '99-'04 Grand is the best donor vehicle.You could also use a Durango,dakota,ao ram pickup.Again it depends on the year of your KJ in which you will need as far as PCM comunication wise.Also if you have the 42RLE ****** you might want to upgrade to the 45RFE like I have(the 45RFE came in the '02-early '03 KJ).

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon, never knew about the 2.8L....good robust little engine, although gutless for the most part.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the NV3550 M/T 5-spd would handle the V-8?

Anyone ever consider a 4.0 Cummins Diesel from a delivery truck instead of the v-8?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think the NV3550 M/T 5-spd would handle the V-8?

Anyone ever consider a 4.0 Cummins Diesel from a delivery truck instead of the v-8?
Man those 500-lbs OME CRD springs wouldn't even hold that diesel up,the NV3550 would hold up for awhile as long as it was fresh and a very good clutch installed.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heh. my buddy that helps with most of my custom stuff keeps talking about it. Every time I mention one day putting in a v-8, he said, "Just put in a Cummins diesel"

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we talking the 1984+ Unibody Cherokee, or the Wagoneer type of the 70's?

The 70's came with 8's....the 1984+ never did from what I know.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i was thinking of the grand cherokees, which had the 4.0L 5.2L and a select few had the 5.9L like the dakota R/T's. im just thinking the older body style grands thats why i was thinking cherokee. i didnt even know they actually attempted the 4.7 in them. im sure its possible. ive put a v8 in a s10 blazer, which is kinda the same thing.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooooooooooh I've been waiting for this thread for a LONG TIME!!!nana.gif nana.gif

Seriously, let's get that 4.7L in front of a NV3550! I'll be watching!

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya know i dont think they ever made a stick v8 grand cherokee did they? or even a stick grand at all for that matter?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
ya know i dont think they ever made a stick v8 grand cherokee did they? or even a stick grand at all for that matter?

They did. Definitely for '93, I'm NOT sure about '94 or '95, but I know NOTHING '96+ was offered with a stick. 4.0L + 5 Speed only. The Grand Cherokee was developed by AMC to be a replacement for the Cherokee, but it stuck around because people were still buying it. That's why early models were a bit "downmarket".

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, i worked at a jeep dealer for 2 years and never saw a stick grand cherokee. ive seen regular cherokees stick.

Latest posts

Members online