30K Mile. How much did you pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you should change the pcv valve. Very simple to change. It twists on the oil filler neck. Just remove the hose attached to it and twist to remove the pcv valve and replace. Reconnect the hose.

Fluid you need:
ATF+4 (4-5 qts for ******, need a lot more if your going to flush it; 2 quarts to t-case) - Valvoline makes this.
75W90 (4 quarts for both axles)
5W30 (5 quarts for engine)
Oil filter (Fram filter suck, get a Napa filter, Purolator, or Mobil filters)
Spark plugs Gap at 0.035" I like the autolite platinums

Edit: Another thing you should look at is rotating your tires, make sure you have good pressure in them. I run 35 psi in my 235/70r16 tires. Check you brake fluid is it dark, you get it bleed.

Last edited:

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you should change the pcv valve. Very simple to change. It twists on the oil filler neck. Just remove the hose attached to it and twist to remove the pcv valve and replace. Reconnect the hose.

Fluid you need:
ATF+4 (4-5 qts for ******, need a lot more if your going to flush it; 2 quarts to t-case) - Valvoline makes this.
75W90 (4 quarts for both axles)
5W30 (5 quarts for engine)
Oil filter (Fram filter suck, get a Napa filter, Purolator, or Mobil filters)
Spark plugs Gap at 0.035" I like the autolite platinums

Edit: Another thing you should look at is rotating your tires, make sure you have good pressure in them. I run 35 psi in my 235/70r16 tires. Check you brake fluid is it dark, you get it bleed.

Thanks. Does having a lockup torque converter matter when changing fluids?? i mean in terms of additives

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't sound like a good dealer..lol...

#1 reason I don't take my Jeep to any mechanics. They can't be trusted.
It's so sad that some idiots ruin all of our reps as mechanics.I never rip anyone off,never deal down either,my time is valuable as is my training,skill,and tools not cheap and it must be done right or find some other chump to do it because I don't like to half-a$$ something as important as brakes and such.

Gap at 0.035"
The 3.7 plugs need to be gapped at 0.040"

Back on topic.........

I spent over $800 to do my 30K service and the same for my 60K service and I did all the work myself except the ****** flush/filter change(don't have $4000+ for the flush machine),every fluid and every filter changed,except my air filter as it is washable,and used high end full synthetic fliuds and flushed every thing also.I had the flush/filter change at a Jeep dealership,paid $180,high? Yes but they use the correct fluid and it comes with a 12,000mile/12 month parts/labor warrenty if done at the dealer(I'm way out of warrrenty).

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, your the only mechanic I trust. :) Every dealer I've been to has tried to rip me off by offering me ******** services or making me replace parts that don't need replacing. I just prefer to do the work myself, because I like to use quality parts and know its done right.

I alway forget if the gap was .035 or .040!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, your the only mechanic I trust. :) Every dealer I've been to has tried to rip me off by offering me ******** services or making me replace parts that don't need replacing. I just prefer to do the work myself, because I like to use quality parts and know its done right.

I alway forget if the gap was .035 or .040!!
It is sad isn't it? There are many "wanna be" mechanics but it's mostly the pushy service reps that are the main problem a dealers.Plus about 90% of all mechanics that work at dealers hate warrenty work from the fact they are most likely on flat rate and warrenty work doesn't pay nothing,I dispise warrenty work unless it's something that I personally worked on before(everyone makes mistakes,it happens get over it,but I will make it right if I f#$ked it up).

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its true tho. If you want to get something right. Do it yourself.
But how can you do it yourself if you dont know what is right and what is true? Im so confused now:confused::confused::confused:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its true tho. If you want to get something right. Do it yourself.
But how can you do it yourself if you dont know what is right and what is true? Im so confused now:confused::confused::confused:

That's not entirely true. I've seen people who just had to "Do it right" end up broken down because they forgot to put a gasket on the oil pan. Ultimately just limit yourself to doing what you feel comfortable with. Start with changing the engine oil, and if that goes well change the transfer case fluid, and so on. You might check your local library for books such as this one.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I spoke to my neighbor who is a mechanic. He got a shop near my place.
He will charge me

$75 ******
$45 Diff
$45 T-case

and this is the price if i provide all the fluids

$55 ******
$35 Diff
$35 T-case

I asked them how much for a tune up. I told them I have 30K+ miles they said its too low we do it on 60K and ask them how bout we just replace the spark plugs i hear it helps to get good MPG. He will charge me $75 for a V6 3.7 engine.

what do you think Shall i get the fluids myself from the dealer or let them use their own fluids?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
All fluids are available at many different stores including Walmart. Since you know him, I would ask him for the fluids and he can just get them. Those prices are oddly low.. Let's say he is an honest mechanic with a huge friend discount. :D Ask him if he would charge the same if I brought my jeep. :)

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All fluids are available at many different stores including Walmart. Since you know him, I would ask him for the fluids and he can just get them. Those prices are oddly low.. Let's say he is an honest mechanic with a huge friend discount. :D Ask him if he would charge the same if I brought my jeep. :)

Sure thing I'll see first how is the job done and I will let you know. Let me be the sacrificial lamb.[-o<

Nobody answered back regarding the Lock-up torque converter if I need some special fluid with that?

What else can I ask them to do when I get there since its below budget?
Any lubrication needed from the the suspension, joints, or whatever? What do you call that service?

Thanks guys.
(In life what matters is not how much you earn, it's how much you saved!)

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing I'll see first how is the job done and I will let you know. Let me be the sacrificial lamb.[-o<

Nobody answered back regarding the Lock-up torque converter if I need some special fluid with that?

What else can I ask them to do when I get there since its below budget?
Any lubrication needed from the the suspension, joints, or whatever? What do you call that service?

Thanks guys.
(In life what matters is not how much you earn, it's how much you saved!)

Spark plugs need to be changed at 30K. Change the air filter also. Bleed the brakes, if it hasn't been done recently. ATF+4 for both transmission and t-case. 75W90 for both diffs. No grease points on the KJ. Put some seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line (big hose) to clean the engine. If possible use a synthetic oil for engine and diffs.

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it's changed since I was in high school all torque converters lock up. Just use the ATF+4 and you'll be fine.

Lubing your suspension is typically done at oil change. At most JiffyLube type outfits have a lube, oil, filter (LOF) as the normal service.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saturday will be operation day. It will go under the knife, i mean Wrench.
Scheduled for ******, diff, T-case & New Spark Plugs. I just hope everything goes well. Total will be under $200 :D I'll just give them a hefty tip so they will give that TLC the second time around.

jordan3757

Reaction score
I read some info that you need some special additive if you have a lock-up torque converter?

The special additive is required for the Trac-Lok limited slip rear differential (LSD). Four ounces of friction modifier is what is necessary here. Mopar part # 04318060. There should be a green tag on your rear differential near the brakes that says "OPEN" or "Trac-Lok" to let you know what you have. Worst case scenario, you can go to a dealer and get a build sheet for your vehicle and see if it's in it or not.

Hope that helps.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The special additive is required for the Trac-Lok limited slip rear differential (LSD). Four ounces of friction modifier is what is necessary here. Mopar part # 04318060. There should be a green tag on your rear differential near the brakes that says "OPEN" or "Trac-Lok" to let you know what you have. Worst case scenario, you can go to a dealer and get a build sheet for your vehicle and see if it's in it or not.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. What is the difference between Trac-Lok and Lock-up Torque Converter?

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yey. ******, T-case & Diff plus Spark plugs done. total cost $240. Shifts a lot smoother and I feel lighter. Whats next?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to collect stuff. I am going to do the diff's and t-case and the plugs. I am not sure if I am going to do the ****** at 30,000 miles yet. I probably will but it is messy dropping the pan so I will do it seperately on another day. Just did a oil change/new pcv/and air filter a couple of weeks ago.

So far I have 4 qts Mopar ATF+4 (got extra just to have since the ****** and power steering uses it too). $4.39 a quart. Also picked up 4 qts of Valvoline 75-140 Synthetic diff oil for the diff's at $9.89 a quart for the diff's. Roughly I will need 3 1/2 qts for both diff's combined. I am going to use that in both since I tow. I am open so I don't need the friction modifier.

The t-case takes 1.70 or so qts so 2 qts ATF+4 = $8.78 + tax
4 qts Valvoline 75-140 Syn = $39.56 + tax. I don't have the receipts in front of me at the moment, they are in the garage.

NAPA has a rear diff gasket for the rear 8.25 for $4.10 and I got it but not sure if I will use it yet. If I decide to use it I will have it.

So that is roughly around $62 for fluids. And I already had a tube of red rtv in the garage. I think it was about $3.89 or so. So about $66 so far.

I have questions about the plugs and not sure what I am going to use yet but that will be a different thread when I get to it.

Dave

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Know I know why they say do it yourself. When I was watching them, I know I can do it myself. Only thing is that I dont have a garage space , tools and the time. And by the rate of what i got for the service. I wont feel bad if i do it every 6 months. Big difference in Shifting and very happy.