30K Mile. How much did you pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted to ask how much you paid for your 30K mile maintenance service just to compare. I got a quote for a 30K mile service for $580.00.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what they will do, even though they call it 30k service....
got a list? If it includes front and rear differentials, T-Case and transmission, including oil change, and fuel injection service.. then it sounds like an OK deal.

I hope nobody will reply with "dude you can do all those yourself for less then half of that"... (because when you bring up service and $$ that is the answer you get, generally)

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a 30K service you should:

Oil/filter change
Transfer case change
Transmission fluid/filter change
Front/rear diff gear oil (if you didn't at 24K; every 12K)
Spark plugs
Air filter change (every 15K) - very easy to do

That "fuel injector service" is a rip-off, just pour in a bottle of seafoam with a full tank of gas. $6 bottle vs $50 service does the same thing.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant do it myself. I dont have a garage or the tools let alone the knowledge. This is the cross i have to carry. :D.

2005 kj Maintenance schedule

B
* change engilne oil aand engine oil filter.
* rotate tires
* replace spark plugs
* check manual transmission fluid level, if equiped
* check the engine coolant/antifreeze level, hoses, and clamps
* inspect engine air filter element, replace if necessary
* inspect transfer case fluid
* inspect exhuast system
* inspect brake hoses
* inspect thorogly underside of vehicle after off-road operations. Examine
threaded fasteners for looseness.

A
* change engilne oil aand engine oil filter.
* rotate tires
* check manual transmission fluid level, if equiped
* replace spark plugs
* inspect and replace pcv valve if necessary
* inspect engine air filter element, replace if necessary
* inspect transfer case fluid/ add if necessary
* inspect exhuast system
* inspect brake hoses
* inspect thorogly underside of vehicle after off-road operations. Examine
threaded fasteners for looseness.

How come when i asked the dealership they said transfer case should be checked on the 60K?

Bronx Jeep quoted me $850+
Manhattan Jeep Quoted me $900+

I guess i just have to go to Bayside Jeep and get a list of services inclued on what ever they have quoted me for.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stealership will rob you of all your money. Go to a trusted mechanic, like Puddy (from seinfeld) he lives in NY..LOL. Manual does actually call for 60K for the t-case, but I think thats crazy. Should be every 30K, even less if you wheel a lot. Definately go with schedule B.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually do mine myself. But my dealer usually sends a flyer out detailing that stuff and the cost and I have not received it yet. I will post it when I get it, for your comparison , as you asked.

Dave

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant do it myself. I dont have a garage or the tools let alone the knowledge. This is the cross i have to carry. :D.

It's not really that hard, don't hurt to learn. Everyone here learned at one point. There are how-to's for almost all the maintenance services. If you plan to take it off-road you should get a small tool set. The best part about working on a Liberty, if you get a lift you don't even need a jack to do most of the services. A step ladder is helpful though. Ultimately it comes down to your comfort level though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
raz,
when you look at what the dealer will do, anything that says CHECK or INSPECT , you just skip that part. Nothing will be done, trust me.

So $500+ for those, just not right.
Call them and ask them how much they will charge you for what jeepkj02 above mentioned on his list. THat is what you need at this point since you have no idea if any one of those were done or not. My guess is NOT done because the dude spent money on the jeep, and when the time came instead of paying for those he just sold his jeep and moved on. I am betting you the delaer will want about $1000+ for doing everything jeepkj02 listed above.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
raz,
when you look at what the dealer will do, anything that says CHECK or INSPECT , you just skip that part. Nothing will be done, trust me.

So $500+ for those, just not right.
Call them and ask them how much they will charge you for what jeepkj02 above mentioned on his list. THat is what you need at this point since you have no idea if any one of those were done or not. My guess is NOT done because the dude spent money on the jeep, and when the time came instead of paying for those he just sold his jeep and moved on. I am betting you the delaer will want about $1000+ for doing everything jeepkj02 listed above.

I kinda get that. Even gandma can Check or Inspect :) I went to one of the mechanics here in my area
he quoted me

$250 transmission, front & rear diff, flush and refill
$50 Transfer case flush & refill
$250 Tune up

What do you think?

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda get that. Even gandma can Check or Inspect :) I went to one of the mechanics here in my area
he quoted me

$250 Tune up

What do you think?

What's involved in that tune-up? You really only need spark plugs and an air filter change. Spark plugs cost $25 and air filter cost $15. Labor should only take 30 minutes for the plugs. $250 sound like a rip-off. Otherwise sounds good.

Make sure he uses the correct fluids. ATF+4 for t-case and ******.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, make sure he uses correct fluids, you can buy a few gallon from walmart and take it to him, and deduct from his bill if you can make a deal :)

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he quoted me

$250 Tune up

What do you think?

Find out what he wants for $250. If it's just plugs than no. If its plugs, and all 4 o2 sensors than $250 isn't that bad. Also my spark plugs were $7 each, Bosch Platinum +4.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dearler charges $129 for T-Case!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayside? Oh, Jon hates that place big time.
Anyway, on that list they don't have t-case or diff service.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't remember the specifics, but you may want to drop a line to him. Also search on this side for "Bayside", i think he had problems during recall.
-=Jon=-

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. thanks for the warning shots.
I think the dealership option is out of the question.

Do i get all the fluids from the Dealership or other makers?
I read some info that you need some special additive if you have a lock-up torque converter?

I'll follow your advise and negotiate about the price if i provide the fluids.

So my list will be:
-Sparkplugs
-Air Filter-K&N(maybe):D
-PCV valve? <~do i need this?
-Transmission fluid
-Diff Fluid
-Transfer case fluid
Did i miss anything?