2WD Renegade for $17k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it a waste? That's not a terrible price for an 06 with 15,000 miles....and not everybody needs 4wd, like me for example...Alabama doesn't get snow/ice that often so the need for 4wd here is not as high. Same goes for Texas (where the Rene is located) for the most part. If you live up north where weather is more of a factor, then yeah it might be a waste...but down south, 4wd is more for fun than necessity.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 2wd Renne.......A Renne with the off road Renne options..I see it but I don't believe it. Must be a mis-print.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2wd Jeep is just plan stupid,kinda goes the total oppisite of what a Jeep stands for and is ment to do---explore the great unknown,can't do that with only 2wd:mad: !!!!!!!

Just like a 2wd pickup to me is not a pickup,it's a car with a really big trunk.

Like others have said before----WHAT A WASTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2wd Jeep is just plan stupid,kinda goes the total oppisite of what a Jeep stands for and is ment to do---explore the great unknown,can't do that with only 2wd:mad: !!!!!!!

Just like a 2wd pickup to me is not a pickup,it's a car with a really big trunk.

Like others have said before----WHAT A WASTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always wondered why Jeep made 2wd when they are known for off-roading

i think its pointless you dont get much better (if any) with 2wd than 4wd so why not have 4wd?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of all the vehicles Jeep makes, there's not ONE that is excusively 4wd. Every vehicle they make comes in 2wd OR 4wd....It's an option like anything else, if you don't need/want power windows and locks then don't buy it...if you don't need/want an auto trans. then don't buy it.......same with the 4wd, if you don't need/want it then why pay for something you're never gonna use?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeps does that to make $$. Some people think that a 2wd does 800% better on gas. Gotta do what youve got to do to make $$.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of all the vehicles Jeep makes, there's not ONE that is excusively 4wd. Every vehicle they make comes in 2wd OR 4wd....It's an option like anything else, if you don't need/want power windows and locks then don't buy it...if you don't need/want an auto trans. then don't buy it.......same with the 4wd, if you don't need/want it then why pay for something you're never gonna use?

You are on the right track but 4wd is the standard and 2wd is the option. All of the Jeeps (Compass and Patriot are exceptions) on the lots here are 4wd, if you want otherwise, you will have to order.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didn't care about 4wd and were not going to go off road, then why consider a jeep?

You could get a car and get twice the gas mileage, better performance and road handling, etc. My car gets quite a bit better gas mileage, and corners way better than the KJ or any other Jeep and it's not even a sports car. They are not even comparable in on road performance and gas mileage.

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats why they have the compass, its 2wd, dont need their entire line up to have the 2wd option. Not to mention its missing its back tire.boooo

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are on the right track but 4wd is the standard and 2wd is the option. All of the Jeeps (Compass and Patriot are exceptions) on the lots here are 4wd, if you want otherwise, you will have to order.

That's exactly my point. You live in Wisconsin right? Much different than Alabama....it's the complete opposite, I think I've seen maybe 2-3 4wd KJ's on the lot down here. Buying a 2wd KJ is not near as bad as getting a 2wd JK Unlimited like alot of people do...at least with the KJ you don't have annoying little things to put up with like leaky tops, wind noise, worse mileage, etc. Those things are easily overlooked to me BECAUSE it's 4wd and it's a JEEP (just part of the experience)....it's all in what you want and what you need it to do I guess.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, buying 2wd JK is much worse, but It is still a waste to pay that much money for a vehicle that won't give you good performance off-road or in snow. Sure it can drive OK but there are others out there that can drive much better than a KJ, cheaper, and possibly AWD. Ok, I get it some people really want 2WD and put locker on it and get it a bit more stable, but really, why renegade then!?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd..... hmmmmmmm ...... I think you still get the same towing capacity and torque that a 4wd Lib has. You won't tow nearly as much with a car.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will probably never be any need to use the tow hooks on the front though. That is a waste. And it looks like the boulder bars (and rear hitch) are the only armor it has so it's definitely not going off-road, making the bars wasted, too.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I can see the point of a 2wd Jeep....but I agree with the fact that a 2wd TRUCK is stupid.

With that said, I got a 4x4 because i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Do I go wheelin? Rarely. Have I used the 4wd before? On more than one occasion in the snow when I had to be at work. Need it once or twice and it's worth the extra money. Plus on something like the KJ, the difference in MPG isn't going to be great b/w a 2wd and a 4wd anyways.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
but really, why renegade then!?

I think that is the point. So you have a Renegade (the more off-road version of the KJ) - with off road lights - with rock rails - hooks - track lock? - etc and no front diff? That does not make any sence to me anyway.

Dave

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of all the vehicles Jeep makes, there's not ONE that is excusively 4wd.

I believe you're mistaken. The Wrangler is only available in 4wd (or, the last time I bought one they were). And sorry, but if you don't need/want 4wd, why consider a Jeep? Just my $.02.

As far as a 2wd Rene, all I can say is, what's the point?

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you're mistaken. The Wrangler is only available in 4wd (or, the last time I bought one they were). And sorry, but if you don't need/want 4wd, why consider a Jeep? Just my $.02.

As far as a 2wd Rene, all I can say is, what's the point?

You can get an Unlimted (4-door) JK in 2wd....and because it drives good, gets decent mileage, it's rear wheel drive and not front wheel drive like some of these other small SUV's that are actually based off of a car platform (ie the Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Chevy Equinox, etc., etc.)

waggles2004

Reaction score
Four reasons I bought a 2wd KJ (instead of a car or 4WD):

1) Towing ability - to haul the Waverunners
2) REAR wheel drive - I''m not a fan of the FWD vehicles which drive, steer and stop a car - too much going on there for me.
3) 4 Doors & Cargo room - to haul family/friends & the waverunners
4) At the time I bought mine, 4WD was an additional $3500 on the price tag, and for me was an unnecessary option