265-70-16?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just seen a good deal on tires and wanted to see what the thoughts are on stock suspension. I know I need to go out and do some measurements but would these fit? They are only 1" taller but they are an 1" wider also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So just seen a good deal on tires and wanted to see what the thoughts are on stock suspension. I know I need to go out and do some measurements but would these fit? They are only 1" taller but they are an 1" wider also.

Stock suspension , no way, 245-70-16s barely fit after 50-60,000 miles
2.5 inch ( full spring lift minimum) for them
Mine with 2.5 JBA Total Control lift
and 265-70-16s on Moabs
You must be registered for see images attach

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running 4" of lift all around and I still rub my 265/70/16s. Albeit on a zip tie that I have holding the bumper together a bit tighter but still. Not a bad rub either.

PS - Tom I REALLY love that color green on the KJ. Looks awesome. I think you made a smart purchase.

smcbride11

Reaction score
I'm running 245/70R16s Revos on an unlifted Renegade, though with Rancho shocks, not the stock set. I get very minimal rubbing in the front wheel well - it's minimal enough that I never bothered to work with the heat gun; maybe a patch the size of a quarter.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running 245/70R16s Revos on an unlifted Renegade, though with Rancho shocks, not the stock set. I get very minimal rubbing in the front wheel well - it's minimal enough that I never bothered to work with the heat gun; maybe a patch the size of a quarter.

When my 04 was brand new I tossed the stock tires and went to 245-70-16s, yes just a small amount of rub when fully turning
BUT with any sag, rub would be worse and like I have said many times, I have seen 235-70-16s rubbing due to sagging
Shocks have noting to do with what fits/ sagging suspension etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Running 4" of lift all around and I still rub my 265/70/16s. Albeit on a zip tie that I have holding the bumper together a bit tighter but still. Not a bad rub either.

PS - Tom I REALLY love that color green on the KJ. Looks awesome. I think you made a smart purchase.

The color is growing on me :happy175:
different enough, have only seen 2 others that same color

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I am not used to hearing about suspension sag so much. Is this a common complaint on these or all jeeps? I'm used to just upping spring rates and throwing on better shocks to fix issues like that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I am not used to hearing about suspension sag so much. Is this a common complaint on these or all jeeps? I'm used to just upping spring rates and throwing on better shocks to fix issues like that.

The Libertys suffered from poor spring rates from the get go.
I mean only a 310 lb front spring is ridiculous on some thing as heavy as the KJ/KK . BUT they wanted the nice cushy soft floating around Mars feel that the Soccer Moms were and are accustomed to .
If they would of even been at the 350 lb. or so they would of actually rode better / handled better and lasted longer. I mean come on when you have a guy come by your place with a ( at the time 3 year old KJ with less than 78,000 miles on it) and it has stock size tires rubbing, thats crazy.
Suspension on mine was so bad at less than 20,000 miles I had to upgrade. Wife thought I was nuts , but after riding in it she agreed it was so much better than it was with 100 miles .

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a cheap daystar lift, I'm running 265/70/17s. I'm rubbing at the pinch wield which I'll fix and I'm touch barley at the plastic inner fender. I still got 5 inches from top of tire to fender flare. I may go with 255/65/17s just enough difference to make a difference

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running a cheap daystar lift, I'm running 265/70/17s. I'm rubbing at the pinch wield which I'll fix and I'm touch barley at the plastic inner fender. I still got 5 inches from top of tire to fender flare. I may go with 255/65/17s just enough difference to make a difference

Over top of the tire means nothing at all really
Its when you turn that problems show up .
What do you measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare again?

Then like I have mentioned many times I have had KJs roll into my place sitting at 17.25-17.5
even with a spacer lift thats only getting most back up to stock height.
Most are sagged even with low miles, the 03 one owner I picked up last fall with 79,000 was sitting at 1.5 inches below new stock height

Last edited:

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21.5 I believe all the way around

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Medic520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is after the lift with 235/65/17s on it

Senistr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom's Libby is the same color as mine o.o

I think the dark green is interesting because you don't see many of them around.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can't understand how a 4" lifted Libby rubs with 265/70/16s and 2.5" lifted does not.

This is the reason I went with 245s but not sure I made the right choice since I got plenty of space around them.
Is the sag that bad on the 4" lift dude1116? is the rubbing on the front plastic well or on the springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll know next go around to get what you want and worry about needing to make small adjustments later
That's what I do all the time with my KJ- get what people tell you not to :happy175:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 235/70/16's on mine with stock suspension.. no rubbing now, but they used to rub on the fender in reverse basically every time so I'd avoid turning the wheel sharp just because of people faces when they heard it lol
Stock tires are 215/75/16, and had 225/75/16's when I bought it..
But I could never imagine trying to stick 265 anything into my wheelwells. Especially being that my 235s rubbed at one point.. for about a year lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't understand how a 4" lifted Libby rubs with 265/70/16s and 2.5" lifted does not.

This is the reason I went with 245s but not sure I made the right choice since I got plenty of space around them.
Is the sag that bad on the 4" lift dude1116? is the rubbing on the front plastic well or on the springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do some on the wheelwells of course I cut all of the rubbing parts off when I trimmed my bumper, and beat the pinch welds over

Last edited:

Latest posts