255/70R16 on 04 Liberty with Rusty's 2.5" lift kit(shock/spring kit)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running the BFG all terrains? Going for tires on wed. and looking at the 245 70r 16 or the 255 70r 16. I know the 245's will fit without the lift. I am getting the 2.5 daystar lift on fri. With rancho's all around. Other than rubbing at full lock, what other problems will i have with the 255's? My pinch weld has been pounded already. I'm also running the stock steel rims. Thanks in advance.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just tried some 255/70s yeasterday and they didnt rub stock, its on a perlowered. i jacked it up around where 2in would be and they hade alot of room. you might hit the pinch or inner fender when you stuff it or something but it doesnt look like much. also it was almost an inch away from the sway bar. and that was on the stock 6 spoke rims. and they were uniroyal liberator so they had a decent sidewall tread. just some info to ponder. and personally i dont like the 245s they to me look to narrow. but my chevy truck has 315s, lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
little different just sitting in the drive way and out on the roads/ curbs / bumps etc plus you're pre lowered:rolleyes:
I have 265-70s now and tons of room, of course have almost 4 inches of lift an ARB and Moabs so most anything will work up to 32 inch easy

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not go for 255x65-16's, they are very close to my OME 235x70-16's? Didn't someone confirm here on another thread that there is no rubbing.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Why not go for 255x65-16's, they are very close to my OME 235x70-16's? Didn't someone confirm here on another thread that there is no rubbing.

Not too many real "Off Road" tire choices in that size.
Let alone "All Terrain" tires worth their salt!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=85&y=14

All most all of them from tire rack and the local company 1010 tires
are over glorified street tires.
With the exception of the General Grabber AT2,
Toyo Open Country A/T Tires, and Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.
Even those for the true "Die Hard" off road enthusiast are considered junk and not good on road or off road for that matter.

Here is the difference between a 245-75-16 and a 255-65-16 generic tire.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

Keep in mind that you can have several tires of the same size
(ie. 175-50-13) and they all vary in size slightly!
So, you may or may not get rub!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone running the BFG all terrains? Going for tires on wed. and looking at the 245 70r 16 or the 255 70r 16. I know the 245's will fit without the lift. I am getting the 2.5 daystar lift on fri. With rancho's all around. Other than rubbing at full lock, what other problems will i have with the 255's? My pinch weld has been pounded already. I'm also running the stock steel rims. Thanks in advance.

A lot depends on if you can or not, if you were replacing the springs and upgrading the suspension it would be yes you can run them
But
since you are going with a daystar lift you may not get 2.5 inches out of it. If your springs are over 30,000 miles they have settled some already so in the end you may get 1 to 1.5 over stock when new and then they may rub.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
has anyone tried Toyo Opencountry HT,s in 235/65 /17 for moastly on road and winter driving

Any HT is more suited for on road driving and light snow, than heavy snow and off road. :)

Carlo

Reaction score
that's what I'm thinking, the KJ is my wifes dayly driver and some mild weekend trail runs for fishing and bush camping. Just want to know if anyone has run them and how they handle, road noise, that kind of stuff

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
that's what I'm thinking, the KJ is my wifes dayly driver and some mild weekend trail runs for fishing and bush camping. Just want to know if anyone has run them and how they handle, road noise, that kind of stuff

For those needs, a FireStone Destination AT sounds good. It's more of an all season than other AT's, but would probably suit you better. Plus, I've read it's a great snow/ice tire.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 255/65r16 is the same height as stock due to the smaller sidewall. My gf has them on her jeep. They are a summer tire and have no rubbing. If you want a good ht tire i would go with the Firestone Destination LE they also make it in a 255/65. personally id get the Destination ATs my dad had them on a 2wd and they were awesome, they worked great in the snow and didnt have much noise at all.