255/70R16 on 04 Liberty with Rusty's 2.5" lift kit(shock/spring kit)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdamocles

Reaction score
Will 255/70R16 grabber AT2s fit on a Rusty's lifted(2.5") Jeep Liberty? Will I get major rubbing on plastic or the sway bar? Would the 245/70 be a better option?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will 255/70R16 grabber AT2s fit on a Rusty's lifted(2.5") Jeep Liberty? Will I get major rubbing on plastic or the sway bar? Would the 245/70 be a better option?

I can almost guarantee with stock rims you'll get rub on the swy bar with the AT2's in a 255. You'll probably get it very lightly with the 245's -I do.

If I could recommend a width, I'd say 245 - it's the most you can go on stock wheels with very little rub. I barely get anything on the sway bar.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

it will depend on how old the lift is
if it is over 1 year then yes they will rub all over
if it is new or you do not own it yet then buy OME springs and those tires will fit

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will depend on how old the lift is
if it is over 1 year then yes they will rub all over
if it is new or you do not own it yet then buy OME springs and those tires will fit

I disagree - I don't see 255's in an AT2 fitting if he's on stock rims no matter the lift. I'm not talking about hitting the fog lamp door or pinch weld, he'll end up rubbing on the sway bar.

I'd go 245/70 or 245/75 and be happy with it. 75's will require modification of the pinch weld.

tdamocles

Reaction score
I disagree - I don't see 255's in an AT2 fitting if he's on stock rims no matter the lift. I'm not talking about hitting the fog lamp door or pinch weld, he'll end up rubbing on the sway bar.

I'd go 245/70 or 245/75 and be happy with it. 75's will require modification of the pinch weld.

I was wondering why no one ever recommended 255s........

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Firestone Destination 255/70/16's on stock rims with a 2.5" Daystar and the only rubbing I had was on the fog light doors. I have to admit I haven't fully stuffed them yet but so far there's no problems. Been running them since May.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
255/70R16
section width = 10.2"
OD =30.1"

same tire
245/75R16
Section width = 9.8
OD = 30.7

I do not see this size being a problem
I run a 245/75 with OME suspension on OE wheels
the problem with what he wants to do is run it with a Rustys spring lift and chances are REALLY good that it has sagged and the OD will be an issue

he will gain some width but give the same od so it should not be an issue

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just took a set of 255-70s off after 25000 plus miles, running them on 8 inch Moabs with 5 inch backspacing so there is the difference betwen stock wheels and mine, but no problems at all with rubbing
With stock wheels I would expect some rubbing on the sway bar if fully locked over one way or the other
Stock wheels I would go 245 75, lost of people run them with no problems

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 255/70/16 tires with the OME springs, but the front springs were medium duty. I had light to moderate rubbing on the fog light doors and the pinch weld but I never trimmed. I also had rims with 5in BS so they probably wouldnt rub much with the stock rims.

They will rub the sway bar, which isnt a big issue. Heck, my stock 235/65/17 tires rubbed the sway bar with the lift and the stock rims. My 245/70/16 tires do not since they are on the moab rims(5in BS).

tdamocles

Reaction score
255/70R16
section width = 10.2"
OD =30.1"

same tire
245/75R16
Section width = 9.8
OD = 30.7

I do not see this size being a problem
I run a 245/75 with OME suspension on OE wheels
the problem with what he wants to do is run it with a Rustys spring lift and chances are REALLY good that it has sagged and the OD will be an issue

he will gain some width but give the same od so it should not be an issue

So than, are you saying that the 255s are probably fine but the 245/75 are a no go?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So than, are you saying that the 255s are probably fine but the 245/75 are a no go?

no
I am saying that either will work or neither will work
it will depend on the condition of the lift
Rustys springs tend to sag and you loose lift ,in the 1 case I have seen first hand, 1"+, and it is lower than ours with just OME med. springs
he can not run 30 x 9.5 on a 15 " rim with out major rubbing
we are running a tire that is a full inch bigger in both high and wide and have less rub ,now we are on stock wheels and we do get a very slight rub at very full stuff in the rear or backing and turning to full lock

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are throwing around the number every model tire is the exact same width in a 255. It's not.

I'm not saying grabbers are superior or inferior to another tire here, but I think with the knobs on them and their general design, they may come off a little wider than some other tires.

I lifted the front of mine about 1.75" (so, small lift) and I have 245/70 AT2's - They rub on the way bar at full lock. I've jacked the front up a little more to see if they'd still hit the sway, and they still will. Maybe I have the freak '07 that can't run 255's, but I don't see myself ever running 255's with any lift (other than a SFA).

tdamocles

Reaction score
I found this. I know that these are retreads and are 245/75r16 but they are listed at 30.3"(short end of the 75 series). Has anyone used these and will they work with a minor massage of the pinch weld and/ or plastic?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put on 235/75R15's of those Treadwright AT's and have PLENTY of room still. I could have gone 245 easily, maybe 255's. I have 4" BS rims and a 2.5" Daystar lift.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
75's will require modification of the pinch weld.

Modification? you mean cutting..or bending right? You are refering to the spot behind the front tires where the plastic sticks out. The seam behind that for the body?

I'm about to Tire up, and was wondering about that bump in the wheel well.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modification? you mean cutting..or bending right? You are refering to the spot behind the front tires where the plastic sticks out. The seam behind that for the body?

That bump behind the front tire is covering the PINCH WELD. Here is the HOW TO thread on this. Happy Lifting http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34295

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, and you may or may not need to heat up the fog light door and push it in a little bit to clear.

tdamocles

Reaction score
I went ahead and installed some 245/75r16 on my 04 Liberty and I needed to reform the fog light door just to get a little more clearance. It rubs when in full lock in reverse. Why must one bend over the pinch weld again? The tires I put on didn't even come close to the pinch weld...When will it be a problem?

tdamocles

Reaction score
Rustys springs tend to sag and you loose lift ,in the 1 case I have seen first hand, 1"+, and it is lower than ours with just OME med. springs
he can not run 30 x 9.5 on a 15 " rim with out major rubbing

Does it rub when going forward and reverse?