255/70/17 too much for OME mediums?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the title pretty much sums it up, could i get away with putting that size tires on a OME medium lifted KJ. thats my plan, i figure the rear will fit but wonder about the front.
i do have a set of isolators in my garage somewhere collecting dust, and i dont mind to add with clevis lift, if need be, so, need be ? or woul lift be sufficient u think ?

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm told you can run 245/70R16's on just about stock ride height, and those are about 29.50x9.50x16.

the 255's on 17" rims equate to about 31x10x17...so i would think with a lift you would be close to being OK....not sure about the backspacing on a 17" rim.

maybe someone will chime in that does??? :)

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're stock wheels you'll rub on the sway bar. I have OME HD + 1 ring clevis and I barely clear 245/75/16's. Clevis lift is a must.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with a probably not
the OD combined with the width will cause rubbing
I ran 255/70's on the 16" OE wheels and they had a very slight rub
this was with OME med coils at all 4 corners
it would rub at full lock up front and in the rear at very full stuff
more lift will not help with the rubbing in the front
in fact more lift will make it worse due to the geometry of the IFS
the rear can be fixed with 1" of bump stop

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soooo, maybe 245/70/17 and medium duty's may be what i want as i will be using my OEM wheels.
for the 1 percent of the time im off road i dont care about giving up off roadiness to have the biggest tire stuffed in to the smallest wheel well.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soooo, maybe 245/70/17 and medium duty's may be what i want as i will be using my OEM wheels.
for the 1 percent of the time im off road i dont care about giving up off roadiness to have the biggest tire stuffed in to the smallest wheel well.

i am running a 245/70/17 AT which measures about 30.8 inches. I also am currently running the daystar 2.5" spacer lift with stock suspension components. The tires rub the wheel wells and a tiny part of the sway bar at full lock. My guess is if you go with OME's and rancho's up front you will be fine....possibly slight rub. The 255's are too wide of a tire and will rub the sway bar and fender wells more than you could probably handle

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online