235/65R17 Best Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire717

Reaction score
I have an 03' Liberty Limited with the optional 17" rims. Any ideas on a good on/off road tire for this size? Would it be better to move down to a 16" wheel and tire? A lift kit and bigger 17's?? I am currently running Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. They are okay, but I need something with a bit more grip for those snowy or tricky situations. Now that this is my daily driver and not the wife's I don't care as much about ride quality and quietness. I mean really there is no reason I can't go somewhere a Dodge Durango can? On a side note, and its probably because of these tires, is it just me or does it seem that even in the smallest amount of wet surface these Libertys spin out. Also just to get up the driveway, which is not that steep, I have to often use 4wd. when there is a little snow or ice. These tires are only a year old. Does the Jeep just have too much power for such a small vehicle? Thanks for any of your ideas or advice!

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestone Destination A/T!

I have these on my KJ and they are an amazing tire. They are very very good in the snow.

Rated #1 on Tirerack in the A/T category.

If you do a search for that tire on here, you'll find many posts and threads with lots of info.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^Yeah, people say they are good but I couldn't find them in the 235/65/17's when I was looking a couple of years ago. Right now I am running the Hercules Terra Trac which looks like a REVO and they are way better than the pos goodyears. The 17" rims are not good for good tire selection.

I almost went to soft 8's in 16" for better tire size selection. At the time I didn't because I thought I was going to have a problem installing the TPM's in the soft 8 rims.

The 235/65/17 is not a good/easy size to get good A/T tires in. At least when I was looking. 16's are way better.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my Destination A/Ts in 235/65R17...

They are a good tire. I couldn't find them that size in 05 when I was looking for them in that size.

Dave

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tirerack.com shows the Firestone Destination ATs in a 235/65/17. I'd try going to a narrower tire for better snow traction. Might even thinking about getting some stock 16" steel wheels and mount some narrow winter tires on them.

Last edited:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo, the Firestone Destination AT, and the Michelin LTX A/T2 in a 235/65R17. Any of these would be a nice upgrade compared to the stock tires. You can probably get some 245/65R17's under it also. There are a lot more options in the 245's. I ran some 17X7.5" 05 rims with that size Destination AT's for a couple winters. They really did a great job for the money. The're also rather quiet and smooth riding for an AT, and wore like iron. You can also get the Wrangler Silent Armors in the 245. I've get them in 245/75R16's right now. I love the setup right now. It drives across snow and ice that I can't even walk on. My drive is fairly steep and it goes up and down it when it's a solid sheet of ice.

You must be registered for see images

Mahkis

Reaction score
I'm running 245/65-17 Hankook Dynapro ATM's on my Limited. So far I've had them in dry&wet weather, sloppy 2 tracks(nothing deep) and more than 8" of snow here and no complaints. Look great, are fairly quiet and can't beat it for $500 out the door. It came down to these and the Kumho AT's and went with the Hankooks cause they had them in stock. I've had very good experiences in the past with the Kumhos though.

fire717

Reaction score
So are those 245's on a stock set-up? ie:no lift, springs, etc. etc....No rubbing??

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
245/65/17=245/70/16, which means little to no rubbing stock.

I'm also kinda looking for AT's in this size, stock size....I do want the tire to be American...

Mahkis

Reaction score
So are those 245's on a stock set-up? ie:no lift, springs, etc. etc....No rubbing??

Totally stock with no rubbing at all. Even at full lock I haven't felt any rubbing or seen any visual rubbing.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm also kinda looking for AT's in this size, stock size....I do want the tire to be American...
I was gonna say the Firestone Destination A/Ts, but they are made in Canada:p

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I have an 03' Liberty Limited with the optional 17" rims. Any ideas on a good on/off road tire for this size? Would it be better to move down to a 16" wheel and tire? A lift kit and bigger 17's?? I am currently running Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. They are okay, but I need something with a bit more grip for those snowy or tricky situations. Now that this is my daily driver and not the wife's I don't care as much about ride quality and quietness. I mean really there is no reason I can't go somewhere a Dodge Durango can? On a side note, and its probably because of these tires, is it just me or does it seem that even in the smallest amount of wet surface these Libertys spin out. Also just to get up the driveway, which is not that steep, I have to often use 4wd. when there is a little snow or ice. These tires are only a year old. Does the Jeep just have too much power for such a small vehicle? Thanks for any of your ideas or advice!

kuhmo has gotten the road venture a/t kl78 in 235/65/17. Thats is what i got ordered right now and will be in tuesday

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

Cooper and Goodyear are your only choices.
Firestone=Japanese brand (owned by Bridgestone)
BF Goodrich=French (owned by Michelin)

Members online