2009 KK off-road capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asuwins

Reaction score
Yesterday we competed in a Jeep Jamboree with about 200 Wranglers (most modified), 3 liberties and a few Cherokee's. This was a desert trail with many challenging climbs and thought I would report about the off-road performance of a stock 2009 with skid plates and OE Goodyear Wrangler P225/75R/16 tires. First the Liberty climbed with the wranglers with the only challenge being the limited ground clearance. I think a lift kit would be very beneficial however was told that even a 2.5 lift will damage the CV Boot? I would love thoughts on this. We spent several miles in a deep sanded wash. While in the sand the Transmission Temp Oil light came on. This is the second off-road trip in which this has happened. Dealer’s solution is to buy a bigger Trans cooler. My thoughts are this is trail rated and should not do this. We also had major difficulty getting into 4WD Low a few times. The service 4 wheel drive light came on. Since this was a jeep dealership sponsored event, we had a few of their drivers try to get it into 4 low and they were unsuccessful as well. Other than these two what I would consider major challenges, the vehicle performed like a champ in both the sand, and rock climbs. The limited ground clearance resulted in a few dings to the skid plates and one to the muffler coming down some rather steep and routed hills. Most of the Wrangler drivers were very impressed with the Liberty's off-road ability and could not believe we were even driving the course. I have attached a link to see photos from the Jamboree so you can see what type of vehicles and trails we were driving. http://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/af176/bleuknight5/Jeep Jamboree/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is great
quick question as I am taking some what of a poll every time I hear about
a trans temp light
when it cam on were you in 4 low or 4 high?
were you in D or 1 (lowest selectable gear may not be 1)

asuwins

Reaction score
that is great
quick question as I am taking some what of a poll every time I hear about
a trans temp light
when it cam on were you in 4 low or 4 high?
were you in D or 1 (lowest selectable gear may not be 1)

Both times it has come on I have been in 4 High or 2WD. The first time I was just climbing and didn't need 4wd. I thought that might have been the problem, working too hard, but after I let it cool off, it still did it in 4wd high as well

asuwins

Reaction score
Yeah, if you were in 4hi, it would overwork the transmission. 4Lo is the only way to roll...yo...

4lo is not necessary going up the four peaks trail outside of Phoenix. Although it is somewhat steep in places, two-wheel drive passenger cars can make the trip. If this thing is trail rated like they say, and has a towing package, I can only image pulling a boat on some of our paved roads. I'm anxious to hear if anyone else experiences similar problems.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
as for the lift, I an running a 4 inch kit have haven't had any problems with my CV's and I drive my KK like a bat out of He77.......

A larger trans cooler might help, but good luck finding a place to mount it as their isn't a lot of space...

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but were you running your AC both times? If so, that may be the root cause of your over heating. Both the trans cooler and AC condenser have been combined in to one unit. If the AC was running, the trans would act like a heat sink when going slow.

One suggestion I would give is think about adding some hood vents if you plan on doing a lot of wheeling in the desert......

The problem with your tcase could be related to the transmission oil temp. If the oil was to hot in the trans, the KK would not allow the Tcase to shift in to low so as to protect the transmission from higher temps that are generated while driving in 4Lo

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
4lo is not necessary going up the four peaks trail outside of Phoenix. Although it is somewhat steep in places, two-wheel drive passenger cars can make the trip. If this thing is trail rated like they say, and has a towing package, I can only image pulling a boat on some of our paved roads. I'm anxious to hear if anyone else experiences similar problems.

ThunderbirdJunkie has been there back when his KJ was stock, and it indeed required low range to keep the transmission from overheating.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seem to recall one of the local members having a problem similar to this, hard (or impossible) shifting into 4LO. IIRC it turned out to be the linkage on the t-case which was discovered while the t-case was being replaced (under warranty). Might check that first and go from there.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Any 4x4 will overheat the transmission when driven in rough situations with 4hi, if it's automatic.

manual trans will fry clutch in said situations.

Goes for anything from ThunderbirdJunkie's old '86 Civic WagoVan 4x4 to the mightiest of Rubicons to H1s

asuwins

Reaction score
as for the lift, I an running a 4 inch kit have haven't had any problems with my CV's and I drive my KK like a bat out of He77.......

A larger trans cooler might help, but good luck finding a place to mount it as their isn't a lot of space...

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but were you running your AC both times? If so, that may be the root cause of your over heating. Both the trans cooler and AC condenser have been combined in to one unit. If the AC was running, the trans would act like a heat sink when going slow.

One suggestion I would give is think about adding some hood vents if you plan on doing a lot of wheeling in the desert......

The problem with your tcase could be related to the transmission oil temp. If the oil was to hot in the trans, the KK would not allow the Tcase to shift in to low so as to protect the transmission from higher temps that are generated while driving in 4Lo

I will have to look into the lift, I really need one. The explanation you provided for the Trans temp makes great sense since I was at low speed and had the AC on. However, the 4WD Low issue I don't think is Trans Temp related since it did it for the mechanic after the car had sat for several hours, but I will continue to monitor it. Thanks for the help and appreciate the insight

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you are in 4Lo put your A/T in first gear. You are going slow anyway and it will keep the ****** from shifting around and getting hot. I was driving a JK Sahara over the weekend on the rocks and such in 4LO first gear and no issues. It has the same 42RLE as the KJ and my KJ doesn't get the ****** overheated in 4Lo first gear either. I have been on both of them pretty good that way with no issues. Try that next time and see what happens.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seem to recall one of the local members having a problem similar to this, hard (or impossible) shifting into 4LO. IIRC it turned out to be the linkage on the t-case which was discovered while the t-case was being replaced (under warranty). Might check that first and go from there.
KK's do not have any shift linkage,just a toggle switch and a electrical motor for t-case shifting(lame I know).

Keeping it in low range when offroading and in 1st gear will prevent the trans from overheating and kill the A/C,no need for it anyway.That 2.72 reduction low range gives you makes your trans happy when offroading stress is applied.When I hit the trail head my KJ automatically goes to 4low and stay's there till off the trail,no trans heating problems ever.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would say it is
transmissions make heat shifting gears or slipping
if you are in your lowest gear and the trans temp light came on
then the trans was slipping ,making heat which was bad
in 4 low your trans and engine will 271% LESS work
I have wheeled on very very steep sandy hills with the AC on in 95*+ heat and never had a trans issue

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
I would say it is
transmissions make heat shifting gears or slipping
if you are in your lowest gear and the trans temp light came on
then the trans was slipping ,making heat which was bad
in 4 low your trans and engine will 271% LESS work
I have wheeled on very very steep sandy hills with the AC on in 95*+ heat and never had a trans issue

you don't have an electronically controlled t case.....

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
I will have to look into the lift, I really need one. The explanation you provided for the Trans temp makes great sense since I was at low speed and had the AC on. However, the 4WD Low issue I don't think is Trans Temp related since it did it for the mechanic after the car had sat for several hours, but I will continue to monitor it. Thanks for the help and appreciate the insight

Well, the only thing that would keep ity from shifting would be the encoder motor....

Check this out,

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46822

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KK's do not have any shift linkage,just a toggle switch and a electrical motor for t-case shifting(lame I know).
Ah I had forgotten that, even after looking at console pics last night (link from a thread on LOST) and thinking how weird it was to not see a t-case shift lever...