2007 identify BCM part number - Speedo ABS prob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toyracer

Reaction score
Hi All,

My '07 Liberty out here in Doha (Qatar, Middle East), build mid 2006, is a bit of a patchwork. It's originally a US market 2x4 Jeep that someone has converted to 4x4 using used parts. It's had some persistent issues I'm working through, and I could use some advice if you guys have a moment.

Preface - reasonably priced uncrashed/abused 4x4s are difficult to come by in this country, and I bought this knowing the following for a good price. 4x4 system works just fine, dune driving without any problems.

State of the car:
- Originally a US market RWD Liberty (from VIN), imported to the Mid East (No idea when)
- 2x4 to 4x4 conversion done by an unknown owner using used parts. I suspect done here in Qatar as it's not been finished (i.e. the highlighted problems here were not sorted). 4x4 hardware works fine.
- Donor running gear on the front, using non-ABS parts (Front hub carrier had "Non-ABS model" sticker on it, in fact). Original rear axle (no drive off the axle for speedo, ABS sensors on each side correct as per 07 year).
- Speedo/Odo do not work.
- ABS/Traction not working. No ABS/traction warning lights on dash (Dash test shows warning lights operate correctly). Fuses present and correct.
- Red Brake warning light on when running. FYI brakes operate fine and in good condition, but no ABS.

So, the non-ABS hubs were a clear issue to start with.
- Changed front hubs to ABS hubs yesterday, connected everything up. Still no speedo/odo, but brake warning light now out when starting a journey, it becomes illuminated after driving 50 yards or so.
- No ABS/Traction control as before. Still no ABS warning lights when driving (apart from Brake Warning light).
- Note: I have not checked the wiring to the rear ABS sensors yet as highlighted in some posts (but I would expect at least warning lights at least with a problem, so a deeper issue perhaps?).

I had hoped the speedo would come alive at least, and I'm now wondering if the BCM was changed from the donor 4x4 vehicle, perhaps to quiet all the warning lights (it would be a non ABS BCM, and also expecting a different speedo signal if pre '06?). The BCM/Fuse board unit has definitely been out before (3 of 4 fuse board to bodywork mounting screws not replaced - BCM to fuse board screws all present, trim not replaced with all screws, one broken wire repaired on one loom). Ties in with Qatar mechanics.

IF the BCM has been swapped, how can I tell? The sticker that shows the date of manufacture on the BCM (that I can see in some ebay ads) has no text (it has worn off, sticker is there). The part/serial number sticker is present, but how do you date this, if possible at all?.

I'm prepared to find a used ebay BCM from an 06 or 07 model if needed (my Jeep is a poverty spec classic, so no worries on optional extras needed to work). I'd like to identify what is on there first to see if that is a likely cause.

Lastly, the local Jeep dealer is tough going - no service to speak of here in the Gulf, I've ordered parts from the UK and shipped for some stuff in the past.

Any hints on IDing the BCM that's on it, or any other area to look at I might have missed?

BCM currently on vehicle part number: P56010545AN

Similar looking number on driver door manufacture sticker (no idea if this is related - does it prove anything?) 063016468AA

Many Thanks!

Ian
'07 Mongrel.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get a scan tool you can see if the vin in the ECU is the same as what's on the vehicle. the '07+ are the only years with drive by wire (aka electronic throttle) so I'm not sure an older ECU would work.

does the part time light come on when you put it in 4x4?

I'm no expert but someone else will chime in surely.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2006 KJ parts catalogue I have shows the BCM for the 3.7 L 6 cyl to be:05179637AD
It does not show any variance between 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.

I do not have the part numbers for the 2007 model and I do not know if that part number I have shown is worth anything to you.:shrug:

toyracer

Reaction score
Sounds like the scan tool should be my next step before speculating on used ECUs.

From your comment on the throttle, the donor engine has been put in by my best estimate. There is a throttle cable on the car, but the hole through the bulkhead has been butchered and uncleanly cut through. That would explain it (I wondered about this before).

I note from the workshop manuals that the speedo signal goes to the PCM, and then to the BCM. If these ECUs are from the donor car, I wonder if it will ever work given the mix of parts in the car as the signal sources for speed are completely different between the years.

At least my GPS works fine for speedo readings, and no ABS or traction is perfect for my sand duning.