2006 Gadget/Gimmick Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
I posted these questions in the Into thread, but I wanted to make sure all eyes possible saw these. Sounds like a lot of competitive marketing gimmicks and lingo. Help me out here.

2006 Liberty Sport 3.7L, Auto, Command Trac 4wd.

New to Liberty world. I understand Jeep added lots of subtle features by 2006. So I have some questions:

1. What exactly is Electronic Stability Program? And it's mystery button on the steering column. Is it appreciated, or is it just a sales tart?

2. Anti-Lock Brakes. OK, the Cherokee had 'em too. And we all disconnected them because they suck. Are they better on the Liberty?

3. What is All-Speed Traction Control (TCS)? Is it hardware? Software? Worth it? Does is resolve real issues, or just take the driver out of the driving experience?

4. And how about four-wheel Brake Traction Control System (BTCS). On most vehicles proper driver skills operating the brake pedal seems to do this just fine. What is wrong with the Liberty that it needs this?

5. Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM). Hmmm. Does the Liberty have a hard time keeping it's shiny side up? ERM sounds more like a substitution for basic driver awareness and skill. What does ERM do and how well does it do it?

6. Brake Assist? Is this just marketing gibberish for "power brakes"? Or is it some new gimmick?

OK, so I'm a bit old skool and maybe I should take off the "Trail Rated" badge and put a "Mall Rated" badge on the Liberty.

Take my humor and give me some feedback! Just here trying to learn a thing or two.

Thanks

Burro II

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just going back to the Welcome section to let you know to post here
but responded in that section as well

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me thinks you put too much confidence in 8-% of all drivers on the road... they're idiots and do not know how to drive.

These things are not gimmicks, per se.. and a fault in the vehicle does not necessitate Jeep/Chrysler from adding in these technologies to compensate.

They are not going to spend millions in R&D and manufacturing to make a gimmicky feature to slap on a vehicle.

How much they help or hurt depends on the driver in some cases as well. Such as ABS... we should all know that you cannot brake in a panic stop in the same manner with a vehicle equipped with ABS as you would have in a vehicle without.

Also, consider the insurance industry's involvement and influence in pushing toward the inclusion of all of the technologies and "features" you listed...

But also yes, sometimes they put a fancy name on something mundane that all vehicles have, to make it sound appealing and confidence inspiring to those same idiots I mentioned earlier.

Burro II

Reaction score
Me thinks you put too much confidence in 8-% of all drivers on the road... they're idiots and do not know how to drive.

These things are not gimmicks, per se.. and a fault in the vehicle does not necessitate Jeep/Chrysler from adding in these technologies to compensate.

They are not going to spend millions in R&D and manufacturing to make a gimmicky feature to slap on a vehicle.

How much they help or hurt depends on the driver in some cases as well. Such as ABS... we should all know that you cannot brake in a panic stop in the same manner with a vehicle equipped with ABS as you would have in a vehicle without.

Also, consider the insurance industry's involvement and influence in pushing toward the inclusion of all of the technologies and "features" you listed...

But also yes, sometimes they put a fancy name on something mundane that all vehicles have, to make it sound appealing and confidence inspiring to those same idiots I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like these new fangled features are actually appreciated by most owners.

Specific problem I have had with ABS is backing down my step long driveway when it is icy. With Cherokee ABS if one wheel locks and begins to slide all four brakes release and start pulsing. It is better to drag one locked than to have them all releasing!

Hopefully these systems were improved by 2006.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW on my 06, I dont really have much issue with the "features". I do disable them from time to time though (which is why having an "off" switch is convenient even if it doesnt fully turn them off in the case of stability control vs traction control).

I will point out that I live in a different climate than most so I dont see much ice/snow (or any really). Even wet roads are few and far between and I am lucky if I can play in the mud more than twice a year.

I notice the power losses/cutout most when trying to climb loose sandy hills, even in 4 lo. It doesn't help that I have larger tires and stock gearing as well.

I have learned to disable traction control when I want to "have fun" and get loose on the dirt. Donuts are a little scary with how top heavy the jeep feels, but I have yet to have a close call with flipping her.