2005 Renegade 2" Rack Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Renegade with those 2" rack rails that fit nothing (well, Thule will sell you the feet that connect their bars for $300!!!!). I had just picked up some Thule ski racks mounted on their rectangle bars at a yard sale for $20. Went to Home Depot to get some ideas and found a plastic conduit clamp in the electrical area. It's for plastic pipe so the diameter is a bit too large but a couple wraps of duct tape made it fit. There are metal clamps that fit tight, but here in the snow salt NE it's more important to make it rust proof. These plastic clamps are 99 cents apiece and the all stainless #12 screws locks, flats and nuts were less than $16 from boltdepot.com - I intend to use the duct tape this Winter and find some rubber hose or inner tube to replace it next year.

Attachments

• rack clamp.jpg
    rack clamp.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 30
  • racks.jpg
    racks.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 63

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Renegade with those 2" rack rails that fit nothing (well, Thule will sell you the feet that connect their bars for $300!!!!). I had just picked up some Thule ski racks mounted on their rectangle bars at a yard sale for $20. Went to Home Depot to get some ideas and found a plastic conduit clamp in the electrical area. It's for plastic pipe so the diameter is a bit too large but a couple wraps of duct tape made it fit. There are metal clamps that fit tight, but here in the snow salt NE it's more important to make it rust proof. These plastic clamps are 99 cents apiece and the all stainless #12 screws locks, flats and nuts were less than $16 from boltdepot.com - I intend to use the duct tape this Winter and find some rubber hose or inner tube to replace it next year.

Nice pick from HD...really excellent fix. The nylon is really strong so no worries about the rack peeling off the roof.

BTW, next time you're in HD or Lowe's look at the guys staring at stuff on the aisle wall, they're looking for the right part idea for something they have to gerryrig...we've all been there wandering from aisle to aisle staring up and down with that vacant look on our face. :shrug: Best way to not look like an amateur is to always keep a well used Fat Max in the console then wear it into the store, you'll look like you know what yer lookin' for and nobody will bug you. A pencil in the ear and parts list paper is even better. :icon_cool:

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! HA! So true Paul M. I have been there with that look and I learned quick to carry a "list" so I could look without being hounded by helpers until I asked for it

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a sciatic problem that makes me drag a foot a bit when I walk. Keeps the over-helpful at bay. Especially around Halloween... Lol!
Mark

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One could also turn the same clamp sideways to attach a basket between the racks.
Mark

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good, Mark!

...next time you're in HD or Lowe's look at the guys staring at stuff on the aisle wall, they're looking for the right part idea for something they have to gerryrig...we've all been there wandering from aisle to aisle staring up and down with that vacant look on our face...
That was me about five times this summer (I did that in BOTH places) until I settled on the parts to complete my homemade crossbars. it was worth it in the end, though. :D

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, Mark!

That was me about five times this summer (I did that in BOTH places) until I settled on the parts to complete my homemade crossbars. it was worth it in the end, though. :D

Been there, done that...a lot. HD doesn't have it? Then trundle over to Lowe's! Just have to remind myself whenever in browsing mode to not talk to myself in the store and to keep my mouth shut (observe how many guys are looking up with a gaping mouth - hehe).

So right tho, in the end it is worth cruising the aisles to find that right part for the fix...amazing what you can dig up, even in the sprinkler section. Mark's idea is super clean looking while being fully functional...kudos.

Last edited:

Flak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only problem is locking ski carrier, phillips head security on rack! :D Probably should put some security torx in those clamps or something equally as obnoxious to deter theft.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only problem is locking ski carrier, phillips head security on rack! :D Probably should put some security torx in those clamps or something equally as obnoxious to deter theft.

Actually I checked and you can position the ski racks over the top of the inside screw for security. Though, to tell you the truth I never worry about it. I have never locked a ski carrier in my life and never had a problem. It's not like we ski on new high performance equipment every year. More likely we buy last years rentals every 4 years - lol! No brain, no headache!
Mark