2005 Jeep Liberty Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maynard

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum here and not real familiar with Jeeps... My father can no longer drive and has a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited with 78k miles on it. I am thinking about purchasing it from him for my daughter. Trying to figure out a fair price... The vehicle is pretty rusted around the rocker panels and a few of the doors but the subframe is solid. I've replaced the battery on it, a window regulator, rear breaks (calipers, pads and rotors), flushed all fluids and then took it for inspection. Mechanic stated "power steering lines seeping and timing cover leaking small amount of coolant..."

I'm assuming timing cover leaking coolant is the water pump gasket... But need to confirm on Monday with the shop... Not sure on the seeping on the power steering lines either..

I've already put about 1k into it for him... Since even if I don't buy it I said I would get it into a working condition for him to sell...

Was thinking 2500-3k is fair...

Would love your thoughts...

Last edited:

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, a lot depends on Dad’s maintenance habits. Regular oil changes etc.

I’d bid low due to having to deal with the rockers. I hate body work.

On the coolant leak, likely the water pump. If you are tearing it down, replace the thermostat too. Mopar stat. Installed in the correct orientation. Proper coolant. No universal stuff.

My ps lines leak in winter on the 04. The ps reservoir actually has foamy fluid when ‘winter cold’ until she warms up.

How much can you do yourself vs. having a shop handle?

maynard

Reaction score
For me, a lot depends on Dad’s maintenance habits. Regular oil changes etc.

I’d bid low due to having to deal with the rockers. I hate body work.

On the coolant leak, likely the water pump. If you are tearing it down, replace the thermostat too. Mopar stat. Installed in the correct orientation. Proper coolant. No universal stuff.

My ps lines leak in winter on the 04. The ps reservoir actually has foamy fluid when ‘winter cold’ until she warms up.

How much can you do yourself vs. having a shop handle?
Thanks for the response! He was good on the basics oil changes etc so I'm not too worried about the engine in general... As far as replacing the water pump and thermostats I've done these things before so I could do it myself... The rockers seem like something that I would have a shop do. Or depending on the price we agree on maybe just look at this is a 2-3 year vehicle...

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are well on the way!

They are great rides. I’ve got 2 - an 04 just got brakesx4 and an almost total front end rebuild.

06 i rescued from a frustrated young owner who had enough of her jeep’s quirks and just wanted it gone.

Both are daily drivers for my teen/young adult sons.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely make sure you only use HOAT ant-freeze...not Universal Green stuff that turns into porridge. Either get it from the Dealers or there is a Zenex product...other Members here can give you the correct Zenex number.

You can download the 2005 Jeep KJ Service Manual here if you do not have it!

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely make sure you only use HOAT ant-freeze...not Universal Green stuff that turns into porridge. Either get it from the Dealers or there is a Zenex product...other Members here can give you the correct Zenex number.

ZEROX not zenex

maynard

Reaction score

Thanks! Appreciate you sending the manual link. They couldn't find the original.

Latest posts

Members online