2005 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mthompson413

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 Liberty with a knock in the motor. It is in great shape other than the motor. I am looking for a used motor from an auto salvage yard. The only one I can find in my area is from an 04 Liberty. The salvage yard says it has to be an 05 on his interchange list. Does anyone know what the differance is on a 2004 and if it can be made to work with an 05.

mthompson413

Reaction score
I saw the sticky but it talks about going from 02-03. I wasn't sure if that meant 04-05 was as simple swapping motors. I was concerned because the salvage guy said an 05 is the only motor that will work with in a 05 on his interchange guide. I have never had a Jeep and know nothing about them so I wasn't sure and don't want to get a motor that doesn't fit. I am hoping to do this in a day or two with the fewest problems possible. I looked all over the internet and this forum and most topics discuss the 02-03 being different not the 04-05. Just trying to get it right the first time. Thanks guy for your help.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live?

I'd check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

All the junk yards (well, most) register their parts into the system and it will show up.

Other option is to look on Craigslist in the Auto Parts section but that is more risky. The junk yards give warranties on their motors and are usually pretty good.

ALSO...When you look on car-part there is an option to enter your vin...That will show you what is compatible...Or just call the dealership to make sure..

Her Jeep

Reaction score
Is it a knock or a tick. I have a 2005 2.4l with a delightful tick. I am going to pull the head and see if I have any burnt pistons or just a bad valve.

P.S. If I may ask what did you pay for it?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the very first post in that sticky it looks like everything 04-05 is the same (except for the cams, 05+ cams are a hair hotter than than 02-04).

mthompson413

Reaction score
It is definately a knock. I'm going to take it out and see if a crank kit will fix it. I just want to have a motor I can pick up if needed. I paid $500 for it from a friend. He was going to sell it to a scrap yard just to get it out of his driveway.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you end up using the 04 engine, you might want to swap cams (then hold on to the other cams to get them reground) as the 04 and 05 cam timing is different.
2004 valve timing is:
Intake
Opens (ATDC) 0.0°
Closes (ATDC) 236°
Duration 236°
Exhaust
Opens (BTDC) 233°
Closes (ATDC) 17°
Duration 250°
Valve Overlap 17°

2005:
Intake
Opens (BTDC) 5.6°
Closes (ATDC) 240.1°
Duration 245.7°
Exhaust
Opens (BTDC) 241.5°
Closes (ATDC) 20.1°
Duration 261.6°
Valve Overlap 25.7°

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some states have a law that the same year or newer engine must be used. :)