2005 body yaw when applying and lifting throttle - fix & stay OEM or not with fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MachSilver08

Reaction score
All,

Our (bone stock) '05 Liberty Limited 2wd has an issue where the body sways left/right depending on whether the gas is being applied or not. I've google'd like crazy on this and it sounds as if a rear or upper control arm could be the culprit. I don't really want to deal with, or have the tools to, replacing bushings so I'm looking at buying the entire assemblies.

If others have had this same issue and it wasn't one of the control arms I'm all ears!

Anyhow, any input from you folks on whether I should stay with Mopar OEM parts on this or whether other options (less $) are of similar quality, like Mevotech?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does it sway?

The first thing I would check would be your swaybar linkages. They're generally cheap and easy to fix anyway. Usually when they're broken, it's diagnosed when going over speed bumps or turning corners though. Do you get a lot of body roll with those actions too?

Check the simple things first, then we'll build to the more expensive/complicated :gr_grin:

MachSilver08

Reaction score
It sways a lot, feels like a big wind gust hitting the car when you hit or let off the gas. Bumps and turns don't appear to be an issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
rear lower control arms more than likely, that will make it do what you are describing. Don't go aftermarket, I had to use some in a pinch and tore them up in less than two months

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue, it is the track bars. I replaced mine with bushings from rockauto and have not had a problem and that has been just about 2 years now. The only problem is you need a hydraulic press to get them out. I believe you can buy the whole bar.

MachSilver08

Reaction score
I had the same issue, it is the track bars. I replaced mine with bushings from rockauto and have not had a problem and that has been just about 2 years now. The only problem is you need a hydraulic press to get them out. I believe you can buy the whole bar.

Thanks!

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder if you do replace them you’re self. Make sure you tighten the bolts when the vehicle is on the ground. This will place the bushing in a neutral state and will keep them from tearing.

MachSilver08

Reaction score
Just a reminder if you do replace them you’re self. Make sure you tighten the bolts when the vehicle is on the ground. This will place the bushing in a neutral state and will keep them from tearing.

Yeah, noticed that in the manual. First car I've ever seen that requires that. What a PITA.....

Thanks

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow
I never realized that was how the LCA bushing
was designed ,kind of weak
I have been running Rustys Off Road adjustable LCA's
for 5+ years front and rear on the TJ with no issues
They are BEEFY and come with a very stout oem style
rubber bushing that is cheep and easy to replace
only draw back I found is after you adjust them a quick
tack weld on each jam nut is needed

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bingo....failed bushing. Failed lower bushing shown on the left. Easier to replace arms than I expected. Wrestling the exhaust was a bit of a pain but that was the worst part.

Anyone want to buy old ones for cheap that can be rebuilt?

You must be registered for see images
Yes thats how all of mine have looked figured thats what it was

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when doing a lift loosen them up install lift put back on ground and retighten arms.
Humm maybe add this to lift how to with why for people who dont know to do this when adding a lift.