2004 Possessed by The Devil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldwing

Reaction score
Hello all. Looking for some insight on my dad's Liberty. The other night at 2AM the horn started blaring randomly non stop until I pulled the negative terminal. We live in an apartment complex so that was great. So I reattach the neg terminal the next day and the horn is still going bonkers. So I pull the relay for the horn (with battery unhooked). Thinking I at least found a workaround I tell my dad its fixed. Well, he calls me and says the headlights are coming on, randomly, while the car is off and parked and don't shut off. So I look at it again and:

Headlights randomly coming on and staying on until battery disconnect
Dash indicator lights coming on and off while vehicle is off
When you shut the Jeep down, the engine stays running, after the key is pulled out, for about 4 seconds then stalls.
Horn may or may not still be going bonkers, unhooked them at the horns so I'm not sure.

What I've done:
Cleaned and replaced battery terminals
Tested and charged the battery
All fuses checked, OK.

Things to note:
The night the horn went off at 2AM it had been raining all day and night. Don't know if that's related. Haven't found any water anywhere it shouldn't be.

2004 Liberty Sport 4WD w/ 3.7

Fried BCM? I'm guessing it's computer related since its totally random and everything is going bonkers all at once.

Thanks in advance

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with tjkj. The only other thing is if it has an alarm or remote starter installed that could be defective.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have similar issues with mine - but I believe its key related. I had two keys with fobs made 2 years ago. One I used all the time, the other sat on my dresser as a spare. Finally the battery in the one I use all the time began to fail. The spare, sitting there, never been used, also had a dead battery. Replaced the batteries in both, the one that had been failing now refuses to work at all. The "spare" that had never been used will unlock the doors, but sets off the panic alarm every time. Once in the while it sets off the alarm just by being near it. If the shop ever gives the POS back to me I might get new keys - again.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya what fun...it's not just the horn..:icon_twisted:
If it is not shutting down even after you pulling the key, that pretty much screams ignition switch problems!
How old is the battery?Would also like to add that batteries even charged, can cause problems. Get it load tested to confirm if it is any good.
What kind of new terminals did you use? Got a photo?
I would remove both battery cables for 5 minutes reconnect & see if that makes any difference.

The dealer can read much from any stored codes and can even upload new firmware to the BCM if required.
Best-o-luck..

Last edited:

goldwing

Reaction score
Most likely water got into the BCM/interior fuse box/steering wheel when "rain" and all the strange things you said happened.

After digging a little deeper, and pouring water steadily over the roof, I found that water is traveling places I don't think it should be.

Weather stripping with wetness and noticeable deformation
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X_ySl5rkidN3ZHdmtMZWZhdms/view?usp=sharing

Hard to see here, but water made its way to the black plug, and the two ground posts (wires removed) in this picture. Don't know what these are for, but I'm sure water isn't good for them.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4X_ySl5rkidM2FRa2dOZlFxLUE/view?usp=sharing

I agree with tjkj. The only other thing is if it has an alarm or remote starter installed that could be defective.

I am unsure if it has a factory alarm, I've never noticed anything suggesting it does. No aftermarket anything installed anywhere on this thing.

Ya what fun...it's not just the horn..:icon_twisted:
If it is not shutting down even after you pulling the key, that pretty much screams ignition switch problems!
How old is the battery?Would also like to add that batteries even charged, can cause problems. Get it load tested to confirm if it is any good.
What kind of new terminals did you use? Got a photo?
I would remove both battery cables for 5 minutes reconnect & see if that makes any difference.

The dealer can read much from any stored codes and can even upload new firmware to the BCM if required.
Best-o-luck..

No water around the ignition wiring that I can see, could anything near the fuse box getting wet fry the ignition switch or make it malfunction? The battery is 2 years old, we had it tested the day after this happened. Battery has been removed overnight two different times now. When you first hook it back up it seems like its normal for about two minutes then things start to go bonkers again.

Terminals:
You must be registered for see images

Is this thing safe to drive? I mean, it's running fine, I just don't know if the engine will cut off or something randomly. I'd like to get it scanned.

Thanks everyone for the fast replies

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if water is getting at the interior panel. You could take some compressed air & blow it out.
I would not allow those 2 loose wires to touch, as ya never know if one of them is a low voltage sensor/signal wire. Separate them, & apply electrical tape to both ends.
Back to the ignition switch though, if you are going to get it scanned might as well have them check the ignition out, especially as you are pulling the key & it is still running. eek!
Drive it easy and expect anything at this point I suppose....

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

If water is getting in, check here. (Drivers side roof remove weather stripping you'll find 6 screws. Remove them and take the plastic trim off)

I just fixed this issue with mine. Doesn't leak anymore.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
similar happened to mine back in 2007. randomly honk when off sitting parked. lights and dash flickered while driving. new battery fixed it.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy had this problem, all I could get out of him (knows nothing of automotives) was it was the steering column. He ended up taking it in to a shop and he said they replaced the steering column, all wires etc etc.

I've notice my 04 Liberty do quirky things over the past months. Random horn beeps, lights will randomly flicker etc. but I did notice that ever time the lights flicker it's when I'm turning the wheel and I heard the sound of my turn signal arm resetting. (Like when you finish a turn and it clicks back and your turn signal shuts off)

goldwing

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm on the verge of just having him junk this thing because he has a new Wrangler and has been using the Liberty to keep the new one fresh. I am pretty good with simple electrical but this is beyond me. The last thing we will try is finding a new battery to test in there to see if there's any difference, I do find it odd that it goes bonkers more while the Jeep is off and not while it's running.

Latest posts

Members online