2004 Liberty Over heating but temp gauge stays the same

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Ramsey

Reaction score
So that's it, the car will overheat but the temp gauge stays right in the middle and doesn't show overheating. I've replaced the thermostat and the fan motor but still overheats. There are no codes saying the PCM is bad.

Thanks
James

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Temp gauge is an idiot gauge , it does not show accurate temps at all
What brand of thermostat did you use to begin with ?

James Ramsey

Reaction score
Thanks, Tom
I'll have to get information on that, But one thing I didn't mention is the fan does not cut on after sitting idle and the temp is going up. That's why I replaced the Fan motor also.

James Ramsey

Reaction score
Have you checked fuses and swapped over Relays?;)
Yes. I am using the code reader in the dashboard setting so I can get exact temperatures. Here's the problem: the engine starts boiling over at 210°. The cooling fan is not supposed to turn on until the engine reaches 219°. As soon as I turn the air conditioner on and the fan comes on the engine drops back to 193°. And yes I have swapped the relays and check the fuses.

Lando

Orlando
Reaction score
James

I had the same problem with boiling coolant (low radiator level alarm will come on) but very little movement on the gauge from half way. I reckoned the cooling system could be dirty and did multiple caustic radiator flushes and 1 acid clean for good measure until it look clean. It surely fixed the temperature gauge that got very lively after that procedures but it stuff-up the radiator for good. Unknowingly to me at the time, the inner core of the radiator block, and when I go extended uphill climbs or high rpms on the highway the temperature gauge will go up and up till it hits the red line or I release the gas / go downhill. But not once I recall it ever boiled / loss engine coolant again. I don't know if the thermostat it protected in a sleeve housing or how the actual arrangement looks like but that it my 10 cents. I only had to replaced the radiator which was a consequence of my troubleshooting actions and that was 8 years ago.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Lando, I am in White River just up the road from you!

Do you still have your Jeep?

What year/model Jeep do you have...3.7 Gasser or CRD?;)

Lando

Orlando
Reaction score
Hi Lando, I am in White River just up the road from you!

Do you still have your Jeep?

What year/model Jeep do you have...3.7 Gasser or CRD?;)

Hi Bill

2003_ 2.8 CRD Cherokee/Liberty with 200,000 km (The 3.7L fuel consumption was a major draw back for me on selection in 2010 and today the CRD also digs deep into your pocketo_O) And what which model do you drive ?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a May 2002 2.5 L fixed-turbo CRD, 5 speed Manual 172,000 km. in Dark Metallic Green.

Likewise I did not even consider the 3.7 gasser....it had a great test report but the fuel consumption was frightening!:eek:

This was one of the first KJ CRDs in SA.
Has Drum brakes at the rear, no ABS and only has the Viscous fan for cooling.
Months later the CRD came out with
Disk Brakes at the rear, ABS available and fitted with an Electric Cooling Fan as well as the Viscous fan.:confused:

In December 2007 my GF at the time drove it into a tree that jumped in front of her...Panelbeaters drove it without water...when I picked it up the "Low Coolant" warning was ON! Got them to fill up with about 4 Litres of water...drove it around the block and handed keys back to them as the Jeep was very unhappy!:mad:

Took Legal action against them but it was their word against mine so I got nowhere! Cost me R60,000 to have the engine re-built!:(

The electrical wiring got damaged by this...every so often I have to diagnose a wring problem and have replaced about 15 wires with new ones.
Fortunately I know my Electronics so am able to carry on...I always drive with my Laptop with all the KJ Manuals loaded, a Multimeter and other tools and a Large hat to protect my bald head if stuck on the side of road diagnosing problems!;)

Even so I love my Jeep to bits...best vehicle I have ever had!:)

I am a bit worried though about going into the Kruger Park! I really do not feel like trying to fix a wiring problem with a Pride of Lions surrounding me!:eek:

The Jeep Agents here were originally not too bad but the latest Agency we have is really pathetic...I avoid them at all cost!:(

Last edited: