2004 Liberty need PID for trans temp with Torque Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mduclow

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I am trying to get transmission temperature through Torque Pro with an ELM327 OBD2 adapter. FTR, there are no codes being thrown at all, nothing, I have finally got it all fixed. I just want to track a few things, trans temp being one of them.

It is running on the J1850 protocol and all the usual stuff is fine and reading correctly, like rpm's, coolant temp, etc...

I have been searching, tried a bunch of different stuff, nothing is giving me a good reading.

I have installed the Predefined PID's for the Chrysler/Jeep, those didn't work. I've tried some different custom PID's, none of those worked.

I have gotten some of them to give a reading, but it's always way off, and it is usually static, not changing if that means anything.

Does anyone have the custom PID to work on this Liberty with the 42rle in it?

Marc

mduclow

Reaction score
Nothing? Really? I figured there were more than a few people using that.

Ok, What are you guys using to read transmission temperatures through an OBD2 adapter?

Usually, I am a gauge guy, but it's just a little too easy and cheap to read it through a phone app and the adapter, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.

Marc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No one here is using those new fangled cellular phones I guess LOL
Plus for me I do not want all that stuff on my phone and have to keep looking at it

Lot of us use a scan gauge for most readings

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a smart phone with the torque app and the ELM bluetooth OBD adapter but was never curious about the trans temp. I finally put the torque lite app on my new phone today as I wanted to see the Coolant Temp reading. I am not sure if either of my other scan tools will show the trans temp on it as I don't think I ever hooked them up

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't there some reason though that it would not work on KJs
Seems like I remember that but someone may have found a way around it

mduclow

Reaction score
So far I have tried all of those. Thank you for the links.

I am getting a reading right now, but the equation/formula seems to be wrong. I just don't know what is going on, but was hoping I could get it to properly read the trans temps this way.

Maybe that is going to end up wishful thinking.

Marc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can search for transmission temp with other vehicles from the era, like the TJ, LJ, WJ, WK, Dodge Dakota, etc. (the last 2 had the same 3.7L as us). Might get lucky. I was able to make my 08 work by getting codes from a JK forum.

mduclow

Reaction score
I think I might have tried them, but I'll go back through them again, thanks for the suggestions!

I have a thread going on in the Torque forum also, but have not had a response yet.

We'll see what happens.

I am running a big 3-core all aluminum radiator with the trans lines coming from the trans to the radiator and then on to a 7" x 12" Hayden plate cooler and then back to the trans. Also running the clutch fan, so there is good airflow across the radiator and trans cooler always.

I'm curious about temps because running it through the radiator first should do two things, absorb temperature spikes so the plate cooler doesn't see them and can cool consistently, but also help warm up the trans fluid running it through a "hot' radiator.

I know the trans likes about 175 degrees for optimal temp and am curious just what my temps are with the current setup.

I would also like to know how much it will fluctuate with this setup. Does it warm up to a certain temp and no matter what stays around there? Or does she fluctuate more with different load and heat situations.

There are no problems with my Liberty (right now), I'm just very curious about the transmission temps.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing? Really? I figured there were more than a few people using that.

An actual (correctly working) PID that you're seeking may not even exist yet for your vehicle. Torque works great (I hear) when accessing global generic OBD live data but, when it comes other stuff, you're at the mercy of whatever extra PIDs that happen to have been developed for the vehicle in question. If you can't find anything that works, I hear you can make a suggestion on Torque's website that one be created.

You may want to make sure your ELM is actually the genuine article and not some rip-off/clone device. Most 327s sold out there apparently use cloned chips, which apparently have been known to cause problems limiting Torque's functionality,

Last edited:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using this Android App which was made by a member from Germany. It is the only way I have found for real time trans temp monitoring. It has been very helpfull for me. It is also in Celcius. Hope it helps...
Jeep KJ Transmission Monitor

Shupaz

Reaction score
I am using this Android App which was made by a member from Germany. It is the only way I have found for real time trans temp monitoring. It has been very helpfull for me. It is also in Celcius. Hope it helps...
Jeep KJ Transmission Monitor
Hello,
Can you please send me the obd app you are using for reading transmission temperatures?
I can't seem to find one that will read trans temp on my 2004 KJ

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the link above... It was written by a member from Germany. The only issue is that the app stops after a while, at least this is my experience. Therefore, I installed a gauge in my PML Transmission pan in order to always have the trans temp available when I am off-roading.

Latest posts

Members online