2004 KJ Manual Clutch Replacement - Pilot Bearing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bond007taz

Reaction score
i removed the flywheel and used a pilot bearing removal tool and the needle bearings came out but the bushing did not. The KJ manual only mentions the bearing and not the bushing but my clutch kit came with a bushing that is same size as what I circled with the needle bearings as well.

I have tried multiple tools and automotive loaner tools (pilot bearing puller, blind hole puller) and cant get the bushing out...

Am i trying to taking something out that shouldnt come out or should I go the next step of drill and chisel?

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_164601804_LI.jpg
    PXL_20210720_164601804_LI.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What KJ Manual are you using?
The 2004 manual is impossible to get but you can download the 2003 or 2005 manual below.

Just be wary that the flywheel is not flat but has a curve on it. So make sure your clutch disk supplied has the same curve...the flywheel cannot be machined if it is damaged!

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It might be lock-tited in. Have you tried some heat with the pullers?

There are a couple of ways to go. If you have the tools and skills you could drill the center and tap it being carefull not to drill into the crank material. Run a nut on the bolt, add a crosspiece, ***** the bolt in, set some blocks under the crosspiece and use the nut (and heat?) to draw it out. If there isn't enough material in the middle of the bushing try two smaller bolts in the thicker part of the bushing. Your new bushing will give you some idea of how deep to drill.

if that doesn't work drill a line of holes across the bushing being careful not to drill into the crank material. Then start working with a chisel to connect the dots. Once enough material is removed you can punch the two halves toward each other which should relieve the pressure holding it in.

Glenn Humbert

Reaction score
I had the same situation on a 2003. I pulled the whole motor(I wanted to anyway) and carted it to my machine shop guy who promptly popped it out with a much better slide hammer than mine.

I spent hours trying, it seems like it is hard to get a good straight slide with it in the vehicle. My kit came with a pilot bearing and and one already insert in carrier (the bigger donut thing). I do not know how to tell if you can remove the carrier portion, but I wouldn't. Incidentally, the old one was trashed and based on how my clutch sounds, I suspect the replacement is going to get the same treatment.

Hope it worked out for you.