2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 4x4 vibration/jerks at stead speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
Today my Liberty started intermittent vibration/jerks at steady 40-50 mph. Have owned this Liberty since it had 10K miles and it now has 235K. Used for transportation only. Replaced engine at 215K with a Jasper engine and it has performed well. The vibration/jerks happens at steady throttle and feel like hitting rumble strips then goes away with acceleration. Hasn't thrown a check engine light yet. Transmission had a full service at 75K but have been advised it could cause problems if serviced again at higher mileage. Now I'm thinking the transmission may be failing. What do you guys think? If transmission is the problem do you suggest rebuild or replace with a Jasper rebuilt? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Reaction score
Today my Liberty started intermittent vibration/jerks at steady 40-50 mph. Have owned this Liberty since it had 10K miles and it now has 235K. Used for transportation only. Replaced engine at 215K with a Jasper engine and it has performed well. The vibration/jerks happens at steady throttle and feel like hitting rumble strips then goes away with acceleration. Hasn't thrown a check engine light yet. Transmission had a full service at 75K but have been advised it could cause problems if serviced again at higher mileage. Now I'm thinking the transmission may be failing. What do you guys think? If transmission is the problem do you suggest rebuild or replace with a Jasper rebuilt? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Had the same issue with mine when I got the Jeep for cheap. Torque converter had went out, and would cause intermittent vibes on a flat surface, but would happen 100% going up an incline.

Had mine rebuilt at a local shop for $2.2K with upgrades.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try a product called LubeGard Instant Shudder Fixx. It comes in a red tube at the auto parts store. I had the same issue as you and MarksmanAkula at 187K miles, and with the recommendation of several people on here, thought I’d give it a shot. The problem was 90+% gone after a week. I don’t expect the friction modifier in the Shudder Fixx tube to be able to fix it forever, and I think a torque converter or a transmission rebuild is in my future, but this helps for now.

Vince Aman

Reaction score
I had the same issue... Shudder Fixx made a HUGE difference. Also, I noticed that this does not happen when I turn off O/D... I was told the long-term solution is fixing/replacing the torque converter. But for now, the Shudder Fixx has made the noise/vibration stop. I purchased a (2) pack on Amazon for less than $15... only used one and was actually surprised how well it worked!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used shutter fixx on two of mine
Plus 7-8 other KJs for customers and has helped a lot with the issues

Latest posts

Members online