2004 Jeep Liberty “Jessie”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m Martin and I post on the forum here and there. This here thread is going to be a log for my kj build like I seen others do. I’m always excited to get something done to my Liberty’s and I’ll like to keep better track and also share the experience of kinda rescuing this kj from the scrapper, the particular one I’ll be posting about is my 04. Feel free to share advice experience or heck any comments lol. Thanks ya

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 16

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always awesome to save a vehicle from being crushed when it doesn't need to be, and to be able to document all the progress/things done/places gone in the kj.

I don't have any kj info to add for ya yet, but maybe a mod can move your thread over to the member's journals section? That's where I've seen everyone posting theirs, so I followed the herd on that one and posted there.

It's under the general forums section, at least on the computer, I would think it'd look the same if viewing on phone.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Always awesome to save a vehicle from being crushed when it doesn't need to be, and to be able to document all the progress/things done/places gone in the kj.

I don't have any kj info to add for ya yet, but maybe a mod can move your thread over to the member's journals section? That's where I've seen everyone posting theirs, so I followed the herd on that one and posted there.

It's under the general forums section, at least on the computer, I would think it'd look the same if viewing on phone.
Original the car had a bad valve cover and was smoking pretty bad every time it ran, ole lady was just trying to get a few bucks back for some mechanic work she said she got done to the thing. Shoot I just realized that if Im able to move it I will if not it won’t hurt that much to move it over

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m Martin and I post on the forum here and there. This here thread is going to be a log for my kj build like I seen others do. I’m always excited to get something done to my Liberty’s and I’ll like to keep better track and also share the experience of kinda rescuing this kj from the scrapper, the particular one I’ll be posting about is my 04. Feel free to share advice experience or heck any comments lol. Thanks ya
Cool that you have some work to do to Jessie, feel free to post a few photos of the 04 Jeep ! (we like pics) :)

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Here’s a overview of what has been done since the initial purchase

- Valve cover gaskets, Camshaft position sensor, pcv, Oil change,gas cap and bleed coolant (165834)

-NGK Laser Double Platinum Spark Plug (6) plus rear shocks (165888)

Yesterday i had some free time and busted out the old lower ball joints and sway bar links, they definitely deserved to be changed. Luckily I had a friend at a shop press them in while I ate a quick lunch. Axle and struts are shot so is the rack and pinion bushing. I’m interested in swapping in a 4.10 rear differential possibly a project next spring depending on how I advance with this.

Attachments

• 5C811BFD-9A13-4560-A515-04AC0338401E.jpeg
    5C811BFD-9A13-4560-A515-04AC0338401E.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 5D78581F-62E4-43E8-A949-E9812D80CA93.jpeg
    5D78581F-62E4-43E8-A949-E9812D80CA93.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 15

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a overview of what has been done since the initial purchase

- Valve cover gaskets, Camshaft position sensor, pcv, Oil change,gas cap and bleed coolant (165834)

-NGK Laser Double Platinum Spark Plug (6) plus rear shocks (165888)

Yesterday i had some free time and busted out the old lower ball joints and sway bar links, they definitely deserved to be changed. Luckily I had a friend at a shop press them in while I ate a quick lunch. Axle and struts are shot so is the rack and pinion bushing. I’m interested in swapping in a 4.10 rear differential possibly a project next spring depending on how I advance with this.
Get rid of those spark plugs unless you want misfires etc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As Tom mentioned, the double plats can cause issues.
The copper core will make it run well !
You must be registered for see images attach

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Get rid of those spark plugs unless you want misfires etc
I’ll be getting oem copper spec spark plugs soon, it was fun while it lasted with the laser spark plugs plus, it was a fun experiment and it also lit the fire to get the 4.10 differential swap. Might have to do it sooner then spring. Also is it recommended to to swap the front diff to 4.10 if your swapping the rear diff to 4.10

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be getting oem copper spec spark plugs soon, it was fun while it lasted with the laser spark plugs plus, it was a fun experiment and it also lit the fire to get the 4.10 differential swap. Might have to do it sooner then spring. Also is it recommended to to swap the front diff to 4.10 if your swapping the rear diff to 4.10

Yeah, you'll have to match the gear ratios otherwise its a grenade in 4wd

You can get away with say a 4.10/4.11 combo if those were the gears available

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll have to match the gear ratios otherwise its a grenade in 4wd

You can get away with say a 4.10/4.11 combo if those were the gears available

I’m doing some research right now, seem like it’s plug and play. I want to make sure I do it the right way and get what I need

I honestly rather do this then fixing the flaking clear coat

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m doing some research right now, seem like it’s plug and play. I want to make sure I do it the right way and get what I need

I honestly rather do this then fixing the flaking clear coat

If it's the whole axle housing/assembly with internals it's quite plug and play. Harder to find the units with 4.10s in them, than to swap them lol

Front whole assembly will be the same.

I believe rears changed 06/07, they changed how the wheel speed senors picked up at the axles as opposed to a ring in with the diff.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
If it's the whole axle housing/assembly with internals it's quite plug and play. Harder to find the units with 4.10s in them, than to swap them lol

Front whole assembly will be the same.

I believe rears changed 06/07, they changed how the wheel speed senors picked up at the axles as opposed to a ring in with the diff.
Hmmm I’ll keep an eye out maybe I’ll run across one these following months

Will it be fine if I did the rear axle first and strictly drive it in part-time mode ?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I’ll keep an eye out maybe I’ll run across one these following months

Will it be fine if I did the rear axle first and strictly drive it in part-time mode ?

I'd say it's most ideal to plan it out and do them both at the same time.

I would pull the front propeller shaft/driveshaft out if you end up regearing only the rear first. Eliminates the human element, and if in a dilly of a pickle you have a low gear to choose.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
I'd say it's most ideal to plan it out and do them both at the same time.

I would pull the front propeller shaft/driveshaft out if you end up regearing only the rear first. Eliminates the human element, and if in a dilly of a pickle you have a low gear to choose.
It does sound like the responsible thing to do lol

I was looking around the area and it seems like some fella is parting out his 06 kj crd with the 2.8 (cracked engine block)

Is it possible to use the 06 front diff on the 04 or are there abs humps to get over?

For the rear differential I think I see one less then a 100 miles away at a salvage yard from a 04 without abs

I also have a 07 KJ is this year compatible with 4.10 rear differentials that have abs or will a non abs rear differential always be ideal

Thanks !

Last edited:

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like the responsible thing to do lol

I was looking around the area and it seems like some fella is parting out his 06 kj crd with the 2.8 (cracked engine block)

Is it possible to use the 06 front diff on the 04 or are there abs humps to get over?

For the rear differential I think I see one less then a 100 miles away at a salvage yard from a 04 without abs

I also have a 07 KJ is this year compatible with 4.10 rear differentials that have abs or will a non abs rear differential always be ideal

Thanks !

I believe all front diff housings are the same throughout the years from all the reading I've done. I have a 07 and got a front end from a 05 and they are identical minus the drain plug. Abs is through the wheel bearings/hubs up front, so that won't be any issue.

For the rear on a 07 which is like mine, the wheel speed sensors used for the abs are out on the axels ends. I think it was 06-07 where they changed the abs pickup on the axles, and prior to that it was a ring on the differential carrier which picked up the signal at the center of the axle there. I've been told if you swapped axles into a rear end with the center abs pickup you can maintain your abs. I haven't read or done the work myself yet to know if a non abs rear can just have the axles added for an 07 yet.

I've had a hard time finding a rear with 4.10's that's a direct bolt up, if I can't locate one for mine I'll buy a ring and pinion and just do the gear install, gears are about 3x cheaper for the rears with how mass produced they are. Most all kj rear ends are the chrysler 8.25, although I believe a few earlier ones came with a dana 35, you can google what the diff cover looks like on each and confirm that you most likely have the chrysler 8.25 as one way to identify them.

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
I believe all front diff housings are the same throughout the years from all the reading I've done. I have a 07 and got a front end from a 05 and they are identical minus the drain plug. Abs is through the wheel bearings/hubs up front, so that won't be any issue.

For the rear on a 07 which is like mine, the wheel speed sensors used for the abs are out on the axels ends. I think it was 06-07 where they changed the abs pickup on the axles, and prior to that it was a ring on the differential carrier which picked up the signal at the center of the axle there. I've been told if you swapped axles into a rear end with the center abs pickup you can maintain your abs. I haven't read or done the work myself yet to know if a non abs rear can just have the axles added for an 07 yet.

I've had a hard time finding a rear with 4.10's that's a direct bolt up, if I can't locate one for mine I'll buy a ring and pinion and just do the gear install, gears are about 3x cheaper for the rears with how mass produced they are. Most all kj rear ends are the chrysler 8.25, although I believe a few earlier ones came with a dana 35, you can google what the diff cover looks like on each and confirm that you most likely have the chrysler 8.25 as one way to identify them.

Appreciate this information. I’m plotting my build right now, to be honest this is going to be my first time dropping a differential assembly none the less opening the diff and changing the gears. If I’m able to I’ll grab both front and rear diff from the part out 06 crd and save the rear diff for the 07 kj
With the 6-speed
I seen that it can be quite difficult acquiring these differentials for our Liberty’s. I was about to stash the idea of doing it till I came across the part out crd. Now I’m actually kinda excited

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

VERY VERY few just the first ones out the door , after that all 8.25s

Noclutch

Modern DIY
Reaction score
Another day, today I replaced 1 o2 sensor bank 1 it was easily accessible so it didn’t hurt to change plus it wasn’t rust welded on and I also replaced the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor) what it took to get the MAP Sensor out was removing serpentine belt and a couple 15mm and don’t forget 2 (1/2) to get the ac compressor and alternator out the way after that you can disconnect knock sensor and you’ll have better access to both 7mm bolts holding the sensor in (I used a extension and also 7mm wrench) Cleaned up years of grease and dirt put everything in the reverse order to complete the replacement also while reinstalling everything I let the battery terminal connections touch for about 25 minutes see if that will help out also. Sensor replacement really does help.

(Plus does anyone else have that o2 sensor socket bolt thing on the exhaust? )

Attachments

• 77CEECDA-F7E7-41F4-ACDB-FDD9BEC70332.jpeg
    77CEECDA-F7E7-41F4-ACDB-FDD9BEC70332.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 17
  • 8EAB4A24-0ABF-40A3-8E5B-8EED79890FDE.jpeg
    8EAB4A24-0ABF-40A3-8E5B-8EED79890FDE.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 18BC1AAD-C3A0-40EA-ADDF-00054120DC17.jpeg
    18BC1AAD-C3A0-40EA-ADDF-00054120DC17.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 17
  • FC7D9A8C-F9FA-4A5D-AA0A-3B4FD94E2280.jpeg
    FC7D9A8C-F9FA-4A5D-AA0A-3B4FD94E2280.jpeg