Fuel filter in 2004 jeep liberty HELP PLEASE!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
Ok so after reading through many threads on here, and watching YT videos. I purchased a fuel filter from auto zone. The "external fuel filter that is held on by a 10mm bolt." And I am telling you guys... I have removed the floor panel. Disconnected all lines. Dropped the fuel tank. Pulled the sending unit. Inspected the fuel pump. THIS FILTER IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!?!? I am not a mechanic amateur. Admittedly I am pretty new to jeeps. But I have changed many fuel filters... and never have I ever had this much trouble locating one. I see some posts that say it's inside the fuel pump. Immediately followed by posts claiming that is wrong. It's external. So which is it? Because I'm telling you. I have a 2004 Jeep liberty 3.7L 4X4 and it does not have this external fuel filter... can somebody please help me out here? I just want my jeep to run right again...

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if that's what you bought, but
Number 14.

You must be registered for see images attach

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
Ya its definitely number 14, as per that diagram. But it's the craziest thing. It's like it's just not there. The number 15 is there (leak detection pump). And almost everything else looks normal as per that diagram. But no filter! I can take a few photos this evening to help you see what I am talking about.

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
So I took a few shaky pictures this morning when I was running out the door to work. I noticed that the gas tank had writing on the top that said "fuel pump 01-21". However I'm wondering if they bypassed the fuel filter when they did that??? I'll show you some pictures. I see what should be the leak detection pump on the front of the gas tank. And on the pump, one of the flared ends says "filter" on it. However there is a compression fit line running from the part that says "filter". Instead of one of the quick release lines that seem to be attached to everything else. I am just stumped.

Attachments

• 20240523_055931.jpg
    20240523_055931.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240523_055945.jpg
    20240523_055945.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 18

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they probably bypassed it. I would have thought they just managed to swap in a later 05 and up pump assembly with the filter in the tank but the fact it says "filter" on that one hose makes that unlikely. Unless they managed to fit the newer pump assembly to the old tank with the original flange?

You're probably going to need to pull the pump out and look...

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
Ok can you tell by looking at the fuel pump if it is an 05 or newer? And is that in fact when they went to an "internal filter that cannot be serviced?" I will attach a picture. If the fuel filter was in fact bypassed, is there a way for me to put it back in? Or would there be no need with the internal filter?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523_095742_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_095742_Gallery.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 13

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you put a filter where it should be and see what happens?
Maybe when someone replaced the pump they just didn't order the filter that was really broken.

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
Well the initial reason I am asking. Is because my vehicle is cutting out terribly bad. I think what i will do, is order a fuel pump as well. Just replace that while I've got everything out. And then I will also install the proper fuel filter. And everything should be back to normal. And all of this, just to try and diagnose what's going on with it. The vehicle sat for a long time before I got it. So I'm guna scrape the throttle body, and replace the 6 fuel injectors as well. I've allready done the air filter, spark plugs, and ignition coils. My very first vehicle was a jeep liberty. And I've been in love ever since.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok can you tell by looking at the fuel pump if it is an 05 or newer? And is that in fact when they went to an "internal filter that cannot be serviced?" I will attach a picture. If the fuel filter was in fact bypassed, is there a way for me to put it back in? Or would there be no need with the internal filter?
That looks like the correct pump for an 04. They must have bypassed the filter. Look on rockauto.com for images. Even if you never order from them, there is a ton of information and images on the site.

I see you're changing the injectors, I'd flush the whole system while you are at it.

JibeHo22

Reaction score

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
So not trying to argue with any of you, so please don't take it that way. But I believe you are mistaken about the fuel pump being from an 05. From the research I have been able to do, starting in 2005 they began combining the fuel pump and fuel sending unit into one. It's a big, tall part. However in 2004 the fuel pump and fuel sending unit were still serperate parts. The pump is smaller and rectangular. And yes the fuel filter was done away with, starting in 05. In fact the sending unit does not even have a hook up option for it. My 2004 sending unit still does. So as far as I can tell, the last owner bypassed the fuel filter. And just relied on the little mesh screens that are inside the fuel pump. And if that's the case, no wonder my fuel system is so "f*****d up right now. If I'm mistaken please correct me. But that's what I have discovered from doing my own research.

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
That appears to be an exact match for the pump I've currently got in my tank. It does have 2 mesh screens. One on the fuel entrance, and then 1 right before it exits the pump. But I believe that even with that pump, a filter should still be used right?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That appears to be an exact match for the pump I've currently got in my tank. It does have 2 mesh screens. One on the fuel entrance, and then 1 right before it exits the pump. But I believe that even with that pump, a filter should still be used right?
Yes

Dave_too

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters... When I had a similar issue with my 07, I found myself in the same boat, unable to find a filter. Replaced the fuel pump and problem disappeared. Draw your own conclusions, but I think at some point Chrysler integrated the filter with the pump and never looked back.

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors from 04 or 05 onwards have an inlet filter.
Is this a substitute for a fuel filter?
If so, 05 or later seems to be easier to maintain.

You must be registered for see images attach

mike

Reaction score
Injectors from 04 or 05 onwards have an inlet filter.
Is this a substitute for a fuel filter?
If so, 05 or later seems to be easier to maintain.
I have an '07, 72,000 miles. If these are a substitute for a fuel filter they seem to be much easier to replace than getting to the pump in the tank. Cheap, too! Where did you find them? I'm gonna guess that the injectors are much easier to get to. I'll be watching for an answer to your question!

DCRAIG61611

Reaction score
Allright thank you for the advice everyone. So as of now, here is my plan. I am going to replace the fuel pump, install the filter properly, flush the system, replace all 6 fuel injectors, bang my head and knuckles a bunch of times, cuss a whole bunch, and see if that fixes the issues. I will check back in here let you guys know. Thank you alot for pushing me in the right direction.

Latest posts

Members online