2003 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunbunny

Reaction score
I bought this vehicle in a hurry.

Let me explain: I own two TJ Wranglers, but only one is roadworthy at the moment. My wife just wrecked her 2003 Mini Cooper and we had to borrow my Mother-in-law's car to keep our family mobile.

My wife is actually handling the repairs to the Mini herself (yes, actually wrenching, to my surprise) but it is taking quite a long time to finish. The MIL actually started to complain about us borrowing her car.

I had two choices, either get the little 2.5L TJ back up and running (just started a hack-em-up :sawzall: propane rock buggy build) by putting it all back together. That's not as easy as it sounds, as I scavenged a ton of parts to put on my 4.0 TJ. Cost- about $2000

my other option (and what I went with) was to find another vehicle. A quick search of craigslist for a manual transmission vehicle turned up the black-on-black '03 Liberty Sport we just purchased. Yes, it cost a bit over $2000 in regards to the rock buggy project, but I'd rather keep working on the little 2.5L as it is.

That being said, I am pleasantly surprised by the performance and handling of the Liberty. A little history here: back in the early 2000's when the KJ was first introduced, all of us YJ and TJ owners lifted our noses at the little IFS bastard that Chrysler created. I even saw a few on the trail here and there, but never seen them get off anything harder than the green runs.

We even made fun of the 3.7 minivan engines the Libertys came with, and the subsequent JKs.

I have to laugh at my younger self now, as our Liberty is much nicer to drive on the highway and can tow a lot more than my 4.0 TJ. Don't get we wrong, I love the TJ's, but when modified to run on the trail they loose a bit of the on highway handling.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums
I bought a KJ new in 04 to be a DD
Been building Jeeps since the 70s ( CJs/ XJs/ YJs ) but said I would never do anything to the KJ
Well that didn't work :emotions34:
With a few things done they'll even surprise you even more
Suspensions are a huge downfall on these since they are so weak
My 03 I bought recently was sagged over 1.25 inches with only 81,000 original miles
Have fun with it and again welcome

gunbunny

Reaction score
My 03 I bought recently was sagged over 1.25 inches with only 81,000 original miles

Just how do you tell if it's sagged? Is it the springs, or does something else wear out? I'm planning on towing this fall with the Liberty; I usually pull 2000lbs of wood pellets at a time for my heating stove.

I'm also planning on a 2000 mile round trip to Florida with the family pulling a small box trailer packed with our inflatable and camping supplies. It shouldn't be more than a few hundred pounds, though.

Just to add, it's running 235-70-R16 BF Goodrich TA's. It's what actually came on it. Funny thing is, I have the same size tires on my 2.5L TJ, except they are 15" rims. It appears I have the lower numerical gears, along with a cursed Dana 35. Will TJ axles fit the KJ? How about lockers for a TJ Dana 35?

Last edited:

BARGASPJ

Reaction score
I'm new to this. I have a 2005 Liberty Sport 4x4. I always wanted a wrangler, but ended up with the Liberty. It's been a real life saver, especially in the cold Oklahoma winters. Recently the window regulator broke. So I have been waiting on the part to fix it. Problem there are clips on it. I don't know whether to put them back on during the install or leave them off. I'm not really impressed with the replacement part. It's plastic . Looks like I will be doing this again a couple o years.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
just how do you tell if it's sagged? Is it the springs, or does something else wear out? springs go south rather quickly, example i've had several into my place that had 75-80,000 miles and sagged over 1.5 inches, shocks blown etc. I picked up an 03 last fall for a new build with 81,000 miles, one owner, babied and was 1.25 inches below new stock height. Measure from middle of the wheel in front to very bottom of the flare. New after april 12, 2002 was 19 inches. i'm planning on towing this fall with the liberty; i usually pull 2000lbs of wood pellets at a time for my heating stove.
if towing i would suggest an upgraded suspension for sure. When i bought my 04 new i swapped out the suspension by the time it had 20,000 miles on it, rode like crap stock.
i'm also planning on a 2000 mile round trip to florida with the family pulling a small box trailer packed with our inflatable and camping supplies. It shouldn't be more than a few hundred pounds, though. upgraded suspension will ride way way better than stock does , stock springs are only rated for 310 lb in front and you feel every little bump/dip/ etc in the road

just to add, it's running 235-70-r16 bf goodrich ta's. It's what actually came on it. stock size tires or one of the stock sizes funny thing is, i have the same size tires on my 2.5l tj, except they are 15" rims. It appears i have the lower numerical gears, along with a cursed dana 35. Will tj axles fit the kj? How about lockers for a tj dana 35?

should have the 3.73 gears unless its the dreaded 4 cylinder
i would find a 8.25 and switch over personally
lockers would work since they are the same but.....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to this. I have a 2005 Liberty Sport 4x4. I always wanted a wrangler, but ended up with the Liberty. It's been a real life saver, especially in the cold Oklahoma winters. Recently the window regulator broke. So I have been waiting on the part to fix it. Problem there are clips on it. I don't know whether to put them back on during the install or leave them off. I'm not really impressed with the replacement part. It's plastic ��. Looks like I will be doing this again a couple o years.

WHERE DID YOU GET THE REPLACEMENT FROM, SOME ARE A LOT BETTER THAN OTHERS.
I HAVE SEVERAL KJs AND NEVER HAVE HAD ANY ISSUES WITH THE WINDOWS BEFORE BUT KNOW OF OTHERS WHO HAVE