2003 Liberty no crank no start and stuck in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BernieM

Reaction score
:help:Hello all I'm new to the forum and may become a Jeep owner that is if i can fix the problems this one is having. First off my neighbor has a 2003 Liberty 102000+ miles and wants to get rid of it. I took a look at it and he told me the key is stuck in the ignition I got the key out with help from some you tube videos that was an easy fix. The battery was dead and would not take a charge so I put in a good battery I had in my garage went to fire it up and I get nothing no clicks no crank. I was messing around with it and noticed the cable that runs from the shifter to I believe the transmission was off i had to put the shifter to somewhere around neutral not quite sure if it was dead on neutral or not to hook the cable to it i tried to move the shifter and it wouldn't budge i took the cable off and tried to manually change gears and I couldn't get it to move by hand. this cable is to the right of the shifter its not the interlock cable on the left.

My first question is? if the vehicle is not in park all the way would that prevent it from cranking over?
2nd question? How hard is it to move the shifter cable? can it or should it move by hand or do I need to use a pair of pliers or something to move it?

Another thing is he told me both front and read driver side windows don't work I can hear the motors run so I'm guessing they came off the tracks or guides which should be another hopefully easy fix. As i look over this Jeep it seems it just needs some TLC and some work I just want to be able to get it running and be able to move it. If anyone can give me some clues as to what I can try to get this vehicle running and movable I sure would appreciate it. It has me baffled. I'm not to worried about the windows right now my main concern is getting it started and being able to move it from his garage to my garage.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the shifter issues, but do you get dash lights when you turn the key? I think these will only start in park and neutral. I'm wondering if the ignition switch is messed up. There are issues with the actuator pin in the ignition that can cause similar no crank symptoms.

Hopefully some more mechanically inclined members will be along soon.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
You can disconnect the shifter-interlock cable at the ignition switch pretty easily and eliminate that as a variable.

BernieM

Reaction score
Dash lights do come on. I will try and disconnect the interlock cable and see what happens. I also plan on scanning it to see if there's any codes. Thanks for all your help. I will keep you all updated.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep should start if either in Park or Neutral or both.

When you fixed the stuck key in the ignition slot did you re-use the original key?

Early KJs had the SKIS anti-theft fitted as an option usually but if this Jeep has this feature then the key has an imbedded Chip inside the key plastic. This chipped key is read by a SKIM module sitting at the top of the steering column. There is a wire loop surrounding the key slot that reads off the code. Code is sent to the PCM and if the PCM is happy with the code it will allow the engine to fire up.

When you turn the ignition ON if SKIS is installed you should see an amber Icon of a "key" that should stay lit for a few second then go out if the PCM is happy with the chipped code read from the key.
Newer KJs have a red LED on the left of the Cluster instead of a key icon.

So if SKIs is installed the Icon/LED goes out if PCM is happy with chip code.

If PCM does not recognise the code the PCM will allow you to start the Jeep....runs for a few seconds the dies.

If the PCM is happy with the code it received it energizes the ASD Relay under the hood and turns over the engine but if the PCM does not receive a signal back from the ASD Relay that it...the ASD Relay did in fact energize...then the engine will turn over but never fire. I had this problem due to a broken wire stopping the ASD relay energizing.

So first let us know if there is a key icon or red LED that lights up for a few seconds or if the icon/LED flashes at you or if the Icon/LED stays ON all the time on the cluster!

BernieM

Reaction score
Update.....
Scan the Jeep no codes present. Checked fuses and switched relays around still no crank. Tried pushing the Jeep by hand and noticed it moved so now i know its not in park I figured it was in reverse or somewhere. Jacked it up in the front and attempted to move the lever on the transmission a little that was hard to do cause i couldn't figure out how to get then dam cable off. Went and tried to start it and it was magic to my ears the little Liberty came to life sounded great too. Took it off the jack tried to get into drive and shifter wouldn't budge shut it off and again the keys were stuck in the ignition got back under moved the lever keys came out but it wont start again. My thoughts on this is the shifter cable is shot its not moving the lever on the transmission. Now I need to know how to change the cable and howto get the cable off the lever on the transmission i tried a few ways and can't get it off not much room under there.

BernieM

Reaction score
Anyone ever have to replace shift cable? I don't want to break or bend anything trying to get it off of the lever or out of the bracket