2002 Oil Puff on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought son a 2002 Liberty v6 with 128k miles. Runs smooth and strong. On cold start, there is a very short and light oil puff. Changed the plugs recently and there is no indication of heavy oil burning. Plugs are clean and light. Oil was changed recently and was full/clean.

What do you guys think? Signs of things to come? Valve guide seal leaking? Known problem? Did a search and didn't find anything. New to jeep and need help (other than CJ I owned years ago).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed mine do that sometimes if the jeep has sat for a few days only, does it do it every day?
Are u using 5w-30 oil?
Since the PCV valve is cheap try replacing it with a new one.
Also look inside air filter box and see if Mr Sponge Bob is soaked with oil.
(thats the small square filter inside air box that fits on right side in air box)
I really dont worry about a small puff of blue occasionally.
You could try a stem seal conditioner added to oil like this and see if it helps.
LUBEGARD BIO-TECH Engine Oil Protectant

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what I hate worst additives in my food or in my oil. Unless its additives in my oily food, fryed food is had to pass up dang it.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check that small square out and look at the pcv valve. Is there a pcv on the passenger side? I've seen the driver side one.

Thanks...

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
The PCV is on the side of the oil fill spout. Those things at the back (both sides) are additional breathers. Why they didn't put the PCV back there is beyond me. Would have eliminated all that sludge from the front in the cold weather. I guess there is a relocation procedure out there for that era 3.7 and 4.7s.

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Ok, thanks. Thought I read someplace here that it was on the back of the valve cover.