2002 lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read through many of the lift threads and still have some questions. I almost have permission :shrug:to get a lift kit so figuring things out!
I have a 2002 pre-lowered KJ with about 108k miles.
Hub to flare measurements are lf 19.5/ rf 19.25/ lr 19.75/ rr 19.5 on I assume original or well worn springs/shocks. What type of 'after' measurements can I expect?
Thinking of going with HD 927/948 OME's with JBA kit or same springs with Rancho RS5764/RS5248. I will need to keep my 245/70r16 Dynapros for awhile but may go with a 245/75r16 later. With this combo (245/75r16) should I add any extra spacers or isolators?
The biggest thing confusing me is the amount of lift on a pre lowered vehicle. I guess any numbers would be approx .75 inches less than spec'd for a lift?
Thank in advance for any help!!
Here's what I'm starting with:

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When you install new springs it does not matter if its an 02 or 07, they are all the same at that point
Just springs you'll be around 21.50 If you add a 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis in front you can jump that up to 22.50-22.75
Of course you have to add to the rear either one or two extra upper isolators
also don't forget front Teraflex bumpstops and hockey pucks in the rear

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I think I was over thinking the prelowered part in figuring how much lift over what I have now.
May go with just springs or would a 1/4 plate and 1 extra rear isolator give an even lift? Don't want to go too much as I'll have the smaller tires for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have some pics I'll post up later of ones I have done here with 245-70s and the full lift that I do ( which is springs/top plate and clevis with two extra upper isos in the rear). Give you a better idea of what it would look like

ACWeller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, what kinda of lift could one expect with just springs and top plate? I'm really only looking for the rear/front to be as near even as possible.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, what kinda of lift could one expect with just springs and top plate? I'm really only looking for the rear/front to be as near even as possible.

About 22 with top plate/927s in front
rear one extra upper iso and 948 springs
should sit you pretty much level when settled in

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
with 245-70s, 927/948 combo with 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis in front, 2 extra upper isos in rear
before

after before it settled in or an alignment done

Same setup 245-70s etc

Just a few thats been through the garage here on various size tires

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and info!
I hope to be ordering stuff soon and will probably go with an ome/rancho setup as I can get the ranchos through one of our local vendors ( I work at a dealership.) I may do just the top plate and 1 extra in the rear but not sure yet.

sleepyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install new springs it does not matter if its an 02 or 07, they are all the same at that point
Just springs you'll be around 21.50 If you add a 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis in front you can jump that up to 22.50-22.75
Of course you have to add to the rear either one or two extra upper isolators
also don't forget front Teraflex bumpstops and hockey pucks in the rear

The above with 927 and 948 springs and some shocks, what would be the cost for parts?? I am ready to get my lift, read tons and just want to know what $$ I should expect to pay........Install cost also?

Jim

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...... Just ordered all my lift stuff!! Should be here in about a week I hope.
I ordered 927/948 springs, tereflex bump stops, top plates and rear upper isolators through JBA. Ordered rancho shocks through shock warehouse.
Total cost $769 for all parts shipped. One of my techs and I will be doing the install so don't know what labor would run.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...... Just ordered all my lift stuff!! Should be here in about a week I hope.
I ordered 927/948 springs, tereflex bump stops, top plates and rear upper isolators through JBA. Ordered rancho shocks through shock warehouse.
Total cost $769 for all parts shipped. One of my techs and I will be doing the install so don't know what labor would run.

Awesome! If you can take some pics along the way that would be great for those who are considering lifting their Libby.

Bob

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all goes well, I'll be lifting the Jeep tonight. Still not sure if going to do the clevis lift and 2 isolators or just the top plate and 1 extra rear. The largest tire I plan is either a 245/75-16 or 265/70-16. Should both of these be fine without the clevis/2 isolator lift?
This will be 90% highway/ road driving so I really don't need a huge lift and figure it would be easier to lift the front later instead of removing the conduit nuts if I later decide so.
Also, when aligned, do I set it factory specs?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all goes well, I'll be lifting the Jeep tonight. Still not sure if going to do the clevis lift and 2 isolators or just the top plate and 1 extra rear. The largest tire I plan is either a 245/75-16 or 265/70-16. Should both of these be fine without the clevis/2 isolator lift?
This will be 90% highway/ road driving so I really don't need a huge lift and figure it would be easier to lift the front later instead of removing the conduit nuts if I later decide so.
Also, when aligned, do I set it factory specs?

245 75 16 on stock wheels will fit with just the top plate or clevis but you will more then likely need to remold your front fender a little with a heat gun when you go to that size. Depending on alignment, nuking of the pinch weld.

If you add the top plate you don't have to do a complete reassembly to add clevis after if you want some more. but changes will require another alignment, perhaps when you go back for your second one in a couple months post break in you'll be ready to decide if you don't go all at once.

The rear is much easier to do especially since you have have a shop lift and adding the extra Iso.

For your alignment set Camber at -0.4 on both with Caster ending up on the steeper side of 3 degrees with toe set correctly.

Make sure cross caster is within 0.5 degrees. You don't have the JBA arms so I'm unsure how you will end up at the end as I did those at the time of my lift and never ran lifted with factory UCA.

In short alignment is factory except for caster.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again! I think I'll start lower and then raise a little more when ready for bigger tires.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got bumped to Monday after work to do this. Too much work in here today to start on mine :(.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally did the lift tonight. All went pretty well and no surprises. I went with the JBA top plates and 1 extra isolator in the rear and sitting at an even 22" all around!

I will have some more pics soon.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

Did you get it aligned yet? If you have go ahead and bang it around a bit to get things settled in. Then let us know what you think of the ride and handling.

Bob