2002 Liberty Alarm issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spectre

Reaction score
I did do a bunch of searching, but couldn't find an answer for my issues..

My mom has a 2002 Liberty 2wd with the V6. Nice little rig to tool around town in..

However a few months ago we experienced a problem. The Alarm just started going off for no reason. You can push the unlock button on the remote and it'll stop going off, but within 10 minutes later it will go off again. The only way I've seen to keep it from going off is to drive it and get it above 30ish MPH. Then park it and it's fine. (This is per the owners manual)

It's not the panic, because when you push the panic button it sounds different.

This has become very irritating.. Being woke up at 2am to drive her car around.

I believe it is the factory alame. It has an oval type remote with the top key being unlock, 2nd is lock, next is rear window release and then last is red panic button.

I appreciate any help. I'm at my witt's end with this thing.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you having any other problems with the vehicle sensors like door open indicators or anything? I just had something, which if I am understanding yours correctly, sounds close to what I had. Mine would randomly start going off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. It ended up that the rear liftgate latch was going bad and, consequently, the system thought the door was being opened while the alarm was armed.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya.. what desertkj said would make sense. Its the horn that sounds, not some other type of alarm, yes?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2006 I can lock the Jeep with the key fob and it doesn't actually arm the alarm. I can reach in through an open window and open the door and no alarm or anything. Does this mean something is broken?

Spectre

Reaction score
Are you having any other problems with the vehicle sensors like door open indicators or anything? I just had something, which if I am understanding yours correctly, sounds close to what I had. Mine would randomly start going off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. It ended up that the rear liftgate latch was going bad and, consequently, the system thought the door was being opened while the alarm was armed.

Not sure about the sensors. I don't remember the last time I looked at the sensor. The rear latch is a good place to start looking..

Our factory alarm arms itself. I unlocked the jeep with the key fob and got something out of it and as I was standing outside the jeep the doors locked and the alarm auto armed itself. Was odd.. Thought it was only supposed to arm manualy. Though it is a good thing because my mom is older and would forget to arm it. :)

In our jeep the alarm going off horn is the same sound as if you push the horn while driving.. The panic is a higher pitched sound as if it was coming from a pa speaker under the hood.. This is just a guess, I haven't verified it yet..

I will look at it a little more tonight.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, did you buy it used? It almost sounds like how my aftermarket alarm functions. It automatically arms 30 seconds after the doors are closed, regardless of if they are locked or not. You could have another alarm on there you didnt know about. My aftermarket also had a speaker installed under the hood.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that sounds aftermarkety. The factory alarm doesnt arm unless you press the button on the fob.

MidnightLiberty- When you lock your doors, do you get a blinking red light on the dash? Is your stock key Grey or Black? I'm guessing you don't have an alarm.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No blinking red light when I lock my door but it lights up briefly when I turn my car on. My key is black and has the key less entry remote built in to it.

The alarm doesnt go off for you kuz you dont have an alarm. Black key means its not a sentry key, no blinky red light confirms it. You can add it if you can find the part -- I did it awhile back.

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midnight- Sorry just read that you're in 2006. Gotta find someone that knows more than me :) I'm pretty sure that what I said is likely true, but not positive.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My alarm (before i dropped $80 on a fob) would go off when i would manually un-lock the doors, every... say 10-15 times i would get in, and would not stop till the sentry key was detected after start. These alarms seem very picky about working properly. Since i've gotten the key fob, I've not had the alarm go off on me since.

Latest posts

Members online