2002 Jeep Liberty. Too nice for a beater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello JeepKJ! Just joined after buying a silver 2002 Liberty Limited a few days ago. The Liberty will be my 2nd car and daily driver. I originally sought a small SUV after purchasing a new Challenger in June. The 2nd car was a planned purchase and was to serve as my "beater" to save wear and tear on the Challenger and to take to places I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the Challenger (bad parts of town, the stadium, crowded parking such as shopping malls, Lowes/Home Depot/CostCo, etc where large shopping carts and lumber push-carts prowl the parking lot unattended).

I wanted to stay Mopar, so I initially considered buying a PT Cruiser but was put off by the below-average reliability of that vehicle. I then progressed through first gen RAV-4's and Honda CR-V's but found them to be too lightweight and flimsy (the "Cute-Ute's"). I finally settled on the first gen Liberty and never looked back after determining that most KJ's are equipped with 3.7L V6 engines and the all important timing chain. It took two weeks of checking out several Liberty's before I found THE one last Sunday. All silver (perfect for SoCal where the weather humidity gets nasty in September and October) and a one-owner vehicle with complete service records to boot! And it looks way too nice to classify as merely a beater.

Really enjoying the KJ ownership experience. The engine has far more pep and better throttle response than I would have imagined and I like how I sit tall in traffic. Came with a trailer hitch which was a nice plus and all-power throughout. The cargo space utility was a key component of my used car purchase since the Challenger is not the most ideal hauler, and the KJ fills that role nicely.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats! I liked the ride height when I first got mine too ... 4" later and it's just freakin' awesome :D

Weren't you parked next to Leean the other day :joke:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice and in awesome shape for a Jeep that age. Have fun! :favorites13:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome QuickSilver.

Dave

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your warm welcomes. I hope to become a regular contributor. My area of expertise is automotive detailing (I detail part time, mostly for co-workers, friends, and family) and I'm more than happy to lend advice in that area.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice to have another detailer on board....I enjoy detailing too but haven't done anything for money really. :D

Nice KJ too!

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to have another detailer on board....I enjoy detailing too but haven't done anything for money really. :D

Nice KJ too!
I've never charged anyone full price. Everybody always gets a friends/family/senior-citizen/veteran discount. I've also bartered detailing services for mechanic work. My usual fee is $25 an hour, regardless of what part of the detail I'm doing, so I always advise clients they can save nearly $40 off the top by washing their car the night before, otherwise they're paying me my rate to wash it and that's one expensive car wash!