2002 jeep liberty sport Engine Light, speedometer bouncing, Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teamfreedom

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize these symptoms. My wife was driving our jeep one day, and then all of a sudden the Engine light came on, the speedometer started bouncing from 0 to 100 and back and forth, and the jeep randomly stalls??

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Failing speed sensor (or wiring) that lives above the rear differential can cause a multitude of oddball things like that.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grounds

Check the grounds for poor contact. Get an electrical diagram and start checking the grounds one at a time until you disconnect and clean them all. Had a similar thing with a Honda Passport and it turned out to be a ground in the engine bay. Saabs are also susceptible to hinky things happening when grounds deteriorate. Start with battery cables, engine ground, and then all other grounds in the vehicle. Don't stop even if you find one which is really bad until you do them all. This is a worthwhile exercise in a 13/14 year old vehicle even if it isn't the root cause of your problem, but this where I would start. Tell us what you find.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the speed sensor can suffer from cut or just poor connection in wiring at rear diff.
Would recommend that you read the codes or try the key trick, to get stored problem codes, and post the codes here.

Onebigwrenchy

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize these symptoms. My wife was driving our jeep one day, and then all of a sudden the Engine light came on, the speedometer started bouncing from 0 to 100 and back and forth, and the jeep randomly stalls??
Hmm don't think the speed sensor in trans will cause a stall.
Seen this in 3.7 v6 engines.........
I think she might have seen the tachometer go nuts or both.
Run codes. Take to auto zone or a good parts store alot of them will run obd for free!!
It may be a cam or crank shaft timing sensor. Or a loose timing chain.. hope not the latter.
Sensor on cam is located on passenger side just below front portion. Of rocker cover.
Crank is located passenger side lower side of block right above line where oil pan meets the block.
Have fun.