2002 Interior Water leak.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chargedgolf

Reaction score
My RHD KJ has a water leak in the passenger footwell, it is coming in through a foam seal on the firewall as a steady drip when it rains, I have taken a picture of this location (with a phone so sorry about the quality)
Please can anyone point me in the right direction as to;
1. What is the best solution to stopping it from the inside?
2. Where in the engine bay is the water originating from?

My initial plans are to try to remove the foam gasket and seal it with silicone?????

Cheers in advance...

Attachments

• 2011-08-07 19.38.23.jpg
    2011-08-07 19.38.23.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 50

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Best to un bolt the air box and get a proper seal using a polyurethane. Silicone's do not last or works as well as Marine grade type poly's.
Air is supplied through upper vent/cowling and water does get down around through there but the foam gasket is simply worn out in and along the bottom probably.
Some poly along bottom interior edge should stop leak.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water is either being splashed up onto the firewall or is running down from where the wiper motor is located.
I have a RHD 2002 CRD so I will have a look at my Jeep tomorrow to see what could be the problem.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water is either being splashed up onto the firewall or is running down from where the wiper motor is located.
I have a RHD 2002 CRD so I will have a look at my Jeep tomorrow to see what could be the problem.

Ok I had a look at my KJ...could not see anything obvious.
I agree with the idea of checking the drainaige of the air con but if this only happens when raining then I think seal the leak with some form of rubber-based product.:freak3:

chargedgolf

Reaction score
Chreers for the replies, I had a damn good look at the firewall from the engine bay (having removed the ecu, ac receiver, plastic cover over wiper arms, wiper arms and found nothing wrong, I then removed the filter over the heater intake, binned the foam gasket and replaced it with a 'substantial' bead of sealant.
Inside there is nothing obvious, removing the heater assy looks like a major job and not sure I want to do it. Once everything was back together I put about 5 buckets of water over the wind shield area and nothing made it's way inside.......
I am uncertain that it is the ac drain as the ac wasn't used at all the last time it was leaking......
Fingers crossed that it's solved though......I am confident it was getting in through the foam seal under the air intake filter.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.