2" Lift w/ no new shocks???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O4Jeep

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a 2" lift out there that requires no new rear shocks with lift??? I am planning on doing little to mild offroading, and don't want to spend alot of money. thanks for all input. I have a 2004 Lib Sport 4x4

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason you need new shocks is not because of the type or brand of lift.

You need new shocks because your rear end sits lower than it used to and you need to compensate for the extra wheel travel.

IE: stock shocks aren't long enough.

Some one please fill in the blanks if I've left any.

O4Jeep

Reaction score
ok thanx, i saw a 2" lift from some website but forgot which one it was but they had said u could lift with needin new shocks, i thought that was wrong but just wanted to make sure.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a 2" lift, rear shocks are not needed. Its a good idea to get new front struts though, either rancho or OME.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new shocks aren't *necessary*, but they are a Good Idea. Some lift kits say the stock ones are "long enough" (but they will top-out and make noise). Some lift kits come with an extender for the shock (limits your travel). The right thing to do is just replace them, they aren't that expensive, ($50-$60 each or so).

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
new shocks aren't *necessary*, but they are a Good Idea. Some lift kits say the stock ones are "long enough" (but they will top-out and make noise). Some lift kits come with an extender for the shock (limits your travel). The right thing to do is just replace them, they aren't that expensive, ($50-$60 each or so).

2nd that.

welshman

Reaction score
just about to have a rusty's 2 1/2 " lift fitted. what type and length of rear shocks best suited ????

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just about to have a rusty's 2 1/2 " lift fitted. what type and length of rear shocks best suited ????

Many people here use the Rancho 17004 shocks (along with myself). If someone looks them up they will come up for the Dodge Dakota trucks, but these are the ones you want. They are longer than stock so you can achieve more stretch. You may want to also add a couple more washers on the tops when you bolt them in. The top mounting location has a smaller bushing than the stock shocks and can cause the shock to wiggle (very annoying sound to!).

I'm sure others will give you more information on another brand. Rancho is the only one that I have experience with and they have been great!!

Good luck!

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my ome lift from rustys I had them substitute their shocks for the ome rears N132 that they have. Cost 50 bucks more. Rustys are the standard size which will work. All J has the long travel version, N132L, for 84 bucks. You can get rustys kit without the rears and get the long travels from all j. I think I am eventually going to replace my standard ome with the long travels from all j. You will get more travel with the N132L but the N132 standards from rustys will work just fine unless your doin some really heavy wheeling.

Here is the link to All J's

http://www.boulderbars.com/OME-N132L_jeep_liberty_long_travel_shocks.htm

Members online