16x7 versus 16x8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
North Carolina, US. Originally So. Maryland.
I'm about to order wheels and was told that there is not much difference between the 7" and 8". I currently have the stock aluminum wheels, 16 x 7 with 235/70 R16 Wrangler SRA's. Will my current tires fit the 16 x 8 wheels?

Are there any advantages to getting an inch wider?

Looking to order today. Any help is appreciated.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes your stock tires will fit on either rim 16x7 or 16x8. Is there an advantage to wider rims? Well that depends on the tire, since you are keeping the stockers then no advantage that I can see.....

What kind of rims are you ordering Cragar Soft 8's??? What rim backspacing??

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes your stock tires will fit on either rim 16x7 or 16x8. Is there an advantage to wider rims? Well that depends on the tire, since you are keeping the stockers then no advantage that I can see.....

What kind of rims are you ordering Cragar Soft 8's??? What rim backspacing??

Yes, the Cragar Soft 8's. The backspacing is 4" for the 16 x 7. I'm not too familiar with the laws of backspacing, but I think the 16 x 8 have a 5 inch backspacing.

I think the 8" will be advantageous in the future when I upgrade tires.

What do you think about the backspacing?

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you can order whatever backspacing you like. I have 15x8 with 4" backspacing with 31x 10.5 and the stance is very wide. Look for my Before and After post to see pics.

The smaller the backspacing number, the more the rims set out from the hub, and conversly the higher the backspacing number the narrower the stance will be.

That's where the tires you pick in the future will be affected by the rim backspacing you choose now. If you choose a 4" backspace rim, be prepared to do some pinchweld pounding.

revolutionwanted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's where the tires you pick in the future will be affected by the rim backspacing you choose now. If you choose a 4" backspace rim, be prepared to do some pinchweld pounding.

Well I think I'll go with the 16 x 8's then. Especially if I'm going to upgrade tires in a year or so. I just bought my Wranglers last summer and have a bit of life on them.

The 16" diameter, will that be a disadvantage when upgrading in the future? I see many people who have 15".

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 235/70 will be a pain to mount on a 8" rim,the installer will hate you to no end.Better off with the 7" rim,less rubbing also.Since you can't really go above a 32" tire on a KJ anyways a 7" rim is the best choice.My 265/75's have stamped on them to mount on a 7" rim only.You can easily mount up to a 265/75 or 31X10.50 on a 7" rim and it will be it's true height also,a wider rim will net less height from the same tire.Offroading a 7" rim will also be better since when you air down a narrower rim will hold the bead better then a wide rim,and did I mention you will have less rub with a 7" rim also?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a b*tch of a time trying to mount my 235/70's on the 8" wide Rubi rims, I just thought that was because of the sharp inside edge on those type of wheels.
I mounted thousands of tires on many different size rims with no problems at all until I ran into the Rubi's.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 235/70 will be a pain to mount on a 8" rim,the installer will hate you to no end.Better off with the 7" rim,less rubbing also.Since you can't really go above a 32" tire on a KJ anyways a 7" rim is the best choice.My 265/75's have stamped on them to mount on a 7" rim only.You can easily mount up to a 265/75 or 31X10.50 on a 7" rim and it will be it's true height also,a wider rim will net less height from the same tire.Offroading a 7" rim will also be better since when you air down a narrower rim will hold the bead better then a wide rim,and did I mention you will have less rub with a 7" rim also?

yup
X2 on all of this

and my .02
why sped money and add weight ,that will cost you more money in the long term
on some thing that you already have and that works just fine like it is?