15k ques..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm near 15k miles on my KJ and I looked at the maintenance guide on what is the next recommended check up. I see it tells me to change the fluids on the Axle/Diff (front and back) since I have a 4x4., flush the power steering (I assume change), and bleed the brakes. Is this really necessary to change the diff fluids and power steering? I would think I drive it to 30k before changing.

What does it mean to bleed the brakes?

As you can see I am not a car or a Jeep expert, but I am learning :)

BTW, I got my maintenance guide in 2 places - (a) http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Liberty/Fluid_Capacities_&_Intervals and (b) my manual

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont really need to change the power steering and bleed the brakes at 15k. I changed the power steering fluid out at 30k though.

I would at a minimum change the rear axle fluid to get all the break in metals out. If you dont offroad or tow alot then it 'should' be ok for awhile(60k or so). If you tow or offroad alot I would do it a little more often. Ive always thought every 15k was a bit much for a DD'er.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15k seems really low. I'll change the diff fluids at 30k. Power steering, maybe I'll do it. Never have before and at 130k and 150k my cars were doing just fine. Bleeding brakes? 15k is WAY too low for that IMO. Again, maybe 50k.

I don't know that I'll follow the maintenance schedule to a "T". I am more of a 50k/100k/150k mile maintenance kinda guys. It's worked out well for me in the past.

Not to mention, I put on over 18k last year alone.

By the way, bleeding brakes means to change the fluid. You can't just dump out the old fluid and refill as you will get air lines. So, there are bleeder valves. You have to open them up and pump the brakes to get the reservior low (fluid comes out the bleeder), then refill the master cylinder reservior and pump some more. Bleeding brakes *****, one of my least favorite automotive jobs.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the dealership remind me that at 15K it's recommended to have a fluid change in the Front and Rear Axles. I'm considering it since it has to go in at 15k anyways for a tire rotation and i need to get my Turn Signal Switch fixed. I'll probably have them put in Full Synthetic as well.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check out the interval they recommend then.

I don't see the need, but I want to maintain my warranty (I only have 3/36). As i am at 18k, I should probably do it then.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
do it yourself and save money! I wouldn't trust the dealer to even rotate the tires, thats also easy to do and good excercise!!!! Not at all hard to do. I change everything out the first time early to get all the loose stuff out from when it was put together. Front and rear diffs/ transfer case on mine were done at around 12000/45000/75000/100,000.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'll be doing it myself. I don't trust the dealer either. I just want a record that it was done in case something happens in the next 18k.

My original plan was to change trans/TC/diff fluids at 36k.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its ok to stretch out the intervals once you change it the first time. There is a pretty good lot of metals on the magnet the first time Ive changed the oil in a Jeeps diff. Ive done a few now.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the differentials at 15k per the manual, but now @ 30k they are calling for it to be done again. WTF is that about? The fluid should be good to like 60-90k at least now.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every 15k is a bit much since 99% of the liberty population are curb crawlers. For people like me that offroad regularly and tow heavy campers or boats in the hot summer months, every 15k is expected. Its people that crawl around on blacktop that are killing the Jeep name. Jeep wrote sch B expecting people to use and abuse their Jeeps.

Look at schedule A in the manual, I bet it doesnt even call for the diff's.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say I am in between. I've towed two VERY light trailers and taken it offroad 3x's in the year that I have owned it. Hope to go a little more this year.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our salesman made it sound like if we didnt' follow sch. B our warranty would be void lol.

Anyways, i've been mainly following schedule A (I only do my oil every 5k miles and i'm running synthetic). I will probably forgo the diff flush. We only offroad a few times per year (probably 15-20 hours a year total). We'd liek to do more, but gas is so damn expensive I can't justify the lift, tires and skids any more lol.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I may go get my diff changed at 15k, though I'll have to bring it to the dealer. Unfortunately I am not an expert at changing the oil nor do I have the proper equipment to do so. The dealer I will be going to will charge about $200 to change the diff on a 4x4 (front and back). Is that average and how long would it take?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THat's what mine charges, but you can do it yourself for about $20. It seriously is VERY easy.

1) Remove fill plug
2) Remove drain plug (with oil pan under it)
3) Replace drain plug
4) Fill diff with gear oil through the fill plug until it dribbles out
5) Replace fill plug.

DONE! Put $180 in your pocket and smile.

Honestly, there has to be a KJer near ya that can show you how for a beer and pizza ;)

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. sounds easy enough,

Is there a particular type oil I should purchase to the diff?

Any pictures or diagrams of the fill plug for both the front and back diff?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, trans is kinda a mess and you'll smell like ATF for a day.

I get a cheap $1.50 plastic drop cloth to put down when I change trans fluid.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just reading in my manual the easiest way to drain the rear diff fluid is through the filler plug hole with a suction pump. No need to open the diff cover at all.