07 won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull it and take it to a autoparts store and they'll check it for nothing. Did you cross the 2 terminals on the starter with a screw driver? Not the little one The terminal with the red wire from the battery to the wire going to the starter. If the starter is good it will turn over.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know I could pull it and have it tested...I'll probably do that tomorrow, just didn't feel like dropping the driveshaft. Seems like a headache

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you do need to pull the driveshaft, but I don't think you need to drop the exhaust. Mine is down in the pic, but that's because I replaced the ****** and you have to.

You must be registered for see images attach

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in the motor pool, and it's a big deal to take our own cars in there...completely not allowed. We do have a hobby shop on base with a lift and tools etc. for $6.50 an hour, but I'd almost rather just pay my mechanic to do it rather than tow it to the hobby shop and deal with it myself...

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic had a look at it today. Starter/solenoid, grounds, cables, alternator, relay are all good and work fine. They are leaning towards a wiring issue or bad ignition switch or key. We will see what happens next week I guess.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic had a look at it today. Starter/solenoid, grounds, cables, alternator, relay are all good and work fine. They are leaning towards a wiring issue or bad ignition switch or key. We will see what happens next week I guess.

What Porkchop should have said is "Ignition switch problems are very common"

Remove the covers over the steering wheel, remove the ignition switch off from the actuator...small security Torx required...put key in ignition slot and turn ignition switch with a small flat screwdriver.

The actuator assembly that operates the ignition switch commonly breaks.

Last edited:

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently its some shaft that connects the tumbler for the key and the ignition switch that broke, and Jeep in their infinite wisdom doesn't make just that part so the entire steering column has to be replaced. New ones are $950+, but there are 46 on backorder...story of my life.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I found that and informed him...I guess he didn't think to check at Auto Zone? Whatever, it should be fixed soon.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on the road...wife says its quieter, but I think its just cause she's been riding in the mustang for two weeks almost and anything is quieter than that