07 won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my Liberty since February with no issues at all. Put 8k miles on it in that time, done all routine maintenance and some tune up stuff (spark plugs, air filter, etc.). It's been over 4k miles since I've done anything to it (the oil change at 130k) other than check the oil and drive it. Yesterday, a friend borrowed it. When they came back out to start it, it wouldn't start at all. Everything has power, all lights turn on, horn works, etc. It won't turn over at all, and won't start from being jumped. I took the battery in to have it tested anyways, and was told it's in 100% health still. It will not turn over, and I only hear a very faint clicking when the key is turned, and only when the hood is popped (that's how quiet it is). I cleaned all the terminals, and checked connections and pulled all fuses. Everything seems straight. Also crawled under and looked at the starter and checked the wires going to it, which all seemed tight as well. I'm stumped...any tips?

It's an 07 Sport with the 3.7, 4x4

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission interlock switch? Clutch pedal position switch(if manual) Starter relay? solenoid on starter? Starter? I hope it's not the ignition switch.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To remove the starter you have to loosen the exaust down pipe so you can remove the front drive shaft. Per factory manual for up to 2006 but the 2007 should be the same.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think it's the transmission interlock switch, as I've had problems with it being sticky before and not letting the key come out of the ignition.

It's an auto so not the clutch switch.

Last time I had an ignition switch crap out (on a 91 Prizm), the key spun freely in the ignition slot. Would it do the same thing on my Jeep?

I'm leaning towards starter, solenoid, or starter relay.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To check relay: 1. you could but power to it and check if the secondary circuit closes and opens. You would need some jumpers and a volt/ohm meter. 2. You could have someone turn the switch as to start it while you have your hand on the relay and feel it click. !. would be better, 2. might work.
The solenoid could be checked by running battery power directly to the solenoid. Just be very very careful.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See how much a new relay costs and pop it in. Shouldn't be that expensive. If it's too expensive, you could jump (with a piece of wire preferably with a couple of spade connectors on each end) terminal 30 and 87 MOMENTARILY to see if the starter will turn. The numbers are printed on the relay and use the corresponding recepticals in the Power Distribution center.If it does turn, you need a new relay. If it doesn't it's your solenoid or starter.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any way to determine if it's the starter or solenoid if thats what it comes down to?

use a screwdriver to jump the starter at the posts, if it turns its the solenoid, if it doesn't its a bad starter.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to drop the exhaust down pipe it might be worth putting in a starter and a solenoid. A quick look at Rock Auto looks like you can't buy just a solenoid. It might be a dealer part. :shakehead:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to drop the exhaust down pipe it might be worth putting in a starter and a solenoid. A quick look at Rock Auto looks like you can't buy just a solenoid. It might be a dealer part. :shakehead:

To get to the start you only need to drop the front driveshaft I believe. Starter and starter solenoid are sold as one part I believe.