'07 Tailgate Lock Deactivation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you-all know… The tailgate auto-locks independent of the door-locks. How do I deactivate this? If necessary to remove the inside tailgate cover… How is this done? Thanks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only locks when I use the rear wiper.

Must be something they added after 2004. Probably cant stop it unless you have the tool the dealer uses to hook up to the Jeep. You can unhook the lock for good but then it would never lock.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only locks when you use the rear wiper?
Mine locks automatically with the rest of the locks, like it that way

Not sure about the wiper thing since I removed mine and threw it away back in 2004!:shrug:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the auto locks disabled but yes, mine also locks with the rest.

I just meant it never locks independently of the door locks other than it locking when I use the rear wiper.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the solution is in the manual... I can't seem to decipher it

If the solution is in the manual... I can't seem to decipher it. I read there are more options if you have the overhead console… Which I do not on my Sport. So keep the suggestions coming please! Thanks!

Clapperc do you have the owners manual, it may state in there about the lock settings.
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html
I think if the wiper is on, or up on the glass, it is locked. That must protect from damaging wiper assembly. Have to try that sometime....

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that about the rear door lock, because I also deactivated the autodoor lock function but the rear locks anyway. It may be worth noteing that mine only locks after the vehicle is put into gear and has started to move. I have not looked at the Body Diagnostic FSM yet but I bet there is a signal to lock it once the ****** is engaged.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find the answer... Please let me know!

Funny you should mention that about the rear door lock, because I also deactivated the autodoor lock function but the rear locks anyway. It may be worth noteing that mine only locks after the vehicle is put into gear and has started to move. I have not looked at the Body Diagnostic FSM yet but I bet there is a signal to lock it once the ****** is engaged.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's a safety feature so nobody can sneak up behind your Jeep where you CANNOT see them AT ALL, and open the door and hop in. They can be seen from the sides, but not from the rear. Probably not gonna happen.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kopkrab.gifkopkrab.gifkopkrab.gif Makes sense I guess.. But it's still annoying! :icon_lol:

It's a safety feature so nobody can sneak up behind your Jeep where you CANNOT see them AT ALL, and open the door and hop in. They can be seen from the sides, but not from the rear. Probably not gonna happen.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm digging this one back-up 'cause... I have the tailgate cover off.

Does anyone know how to re-wire/re-configure to get the auto-lock deactivate?

kopkrab.gifkopkrab.gifkopkrab.gif Makes sense I guess.. But it's still annoying! :icon_lol:

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you read a wiring diagram???

Snip #4 ???

You must be registered for see images attach

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have issues hahaha
I use my gate almost 10 times a day since I'm on the road doing calls all the time. Never even thought about it bothering me. I get out, all doors unlock automatically,(since I put in the overhead console I think), open the gate, I get my stuff, lock up and walk away. I come back, unlock my doors, open gate, put tools in, close gate, get in and drive to next call.... what's so annoying about the rear door locking automatically?

EDIT
I just re-read your post... so your gate doesn't unlock with the rest of the doors when you get out? You must be able to change a setting with a few key turns and a dance or something without having to install an overhead console???

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works sort-of... If the doors are locked... The tailgate handle will not raise the lift gate window. Thoughts???

I think you would need to re-wire and put a new button or two on your dash to get this to work. but I'm not sure.

The real issue I have is that if you have your doors unlocked and you simply back out of your garage for instance the rear door locks. Insert scene. Wake up, take shower eat breakfast go out to garage and start the Jeep to leave for work, (birds chirping as the sun rises in the East). Get out of garage and... oh crap, I forgot to take out those groceries last night. Get out of the Jeep and walk back and pull on the handle. CRAP! its locked. Walk back to driver door as blood pressure rises a little, open the door and hit the unlock switch. Catch breath observe the nice sun rise "AGAIN" and get the stuff out of the back door. END SCENE

seriously tho, there's no way around it as I can tell. I keep it like this because I don't want to put extra wear on all the door locks every time I get out of the Jeep. When I get out I just push down the stem on the door and I'm off. :smokin:

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have issues hahaha
I use my gate almost 10 times a day since I'm on the road doing calls all the time. Never even thought about it bothering me. I get out, all doors unlock automatically,(since I put in the overhead console I think), open the gate, I get my stuff, lock up and walk away. I come back, unlock my doors, open gate, put tools in, close gate, get in and drive to next call.... what's so annoying about the rear door locking automatically?

I just re-read your post... so your gate doesn't unlock with the rest of the doors when you get out? You must be able to change a setting with a few key turns and a dance or something without having to install an overhead console???

I don't have the overhead console... But all the functions of it can be programmed thru the computer-port. I have great dealership folks... No options to deactivate the auto-lock of the tailgate/glass. Both the dealership guy and I thought by cutting wire #4 would do it... It did! But... The residue is the pop-up glass, controlled by the tailgate handle, deactivates at 15-mph. As a result, when the tailgate handle is lifted it no longer pops the glass as part of opening the tailgate.

Yeah this is no-biggie in the scheme of life... But I enjoy the challenge. Although the solution would be nice!

FYI: I have some spare-time since my Grand Wagoneer is in the paint-shop. When I get her back in a few weeks... I'll stop bugging you-all so much! :buffer:

The Jeep Fleet:

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third visit to the dealership... Many wiring diagrams, snipped/cross-wires, diodes... No-go. Seems this signal's control traces back to the front-bus.

I'm going to try a new approach... Stay tuned!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.