'07 Libby sometime will not engage 4hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toonman4

Reaction score
'07 Libby sometimes will not engage 4hi

Of course I find this out "after" it snows....... '07 Liberty, 45K miles.
Tried putting my jeep into 4hi today on the way into work and the handle would not pull all the way into 4hi.
Tried it while it was in motion (approx 25-35mph) and at a stop (in drive & neutral), no change.
After about a block of driving it finally let me into 4hi.
I never had it do that last year or the year before

Last edited:

toonman4

Reaction score
I'll try that when I get home from Work.
It does not feel like it is binding ,it pulls smoothly, it just stops short of locking in.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 4wd more often,once or twice a year will cause shifting issues.You should use 4wd at least once a month for a few mins to keep the shifting smooth and easy(on a slippery surface of course like gravel or a dirt field).

toonman4

Reaction score
Linkages seem ok. No binding
When this happens it takes about a half block before it let's me back in, even at 5-10 mph

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 4wd more often,once or twice a year will cause shifting issues.You should use 4wd at least once a month for a few mins to keep the shifting smooth and easy(on a slippery surface of course like gravel or a dirt field).
+1
At least once every 2 weeks I drive onto a snow/ice/loose gravel covered surface and shift into 4PT, drive around a bit, then shift into 4FT, drive around a bit, then shift into 4LO and drive around a bit. This makes sure that the transfer case is in good working order when you actually need it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one more on the use it more often
also try this to get it into 4wd
driving at ~5 mph
slip the trans into N
quickly shift to 4wd while rolling in a strait line
then back to D
I had to do this to my TJ for the first year I had it
it had NEVER been in 4wd for the first 2 1/2 years of its life ,kind of sad

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o
I had to do this to my TJ for the first year I had it
it had NEVER been in 4wd for the first 2 1/2 years of its life ,kind of sad
Yeah when I bought my '84 F150 in '94 it had never been in 4wd(I knew the original owner),I had to stand in the cab facing out the back window and kick the living s@#t out of the t-case shifter for about 30mins before it would budge out of 2wd.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah when I bought my '84 F150 in '94 it had never been in 4wd(I knew the original owner),I had to stand in the cab facing out the back window and kick the living s@#t out of the t-case shifter for about 30mins before it would budge out of 2wd.

'89 Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 I had a few years ago was the same deal.:eek:

Latest posts

Members online