06 Towing Question Liberty sport?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fourwheelin2you

Reaction score
my first post here, just bought a06 Liberty Sport this week end has only 53000 miles on it.. ya baby has a class three hitch on back .going topull a 2500# camper with it. don't think it has a tow pac .is a atuo ****** 3.7L. should I add anther cooler? Thanks..

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you have the 42rle with the external ****** cooler. I'd say no for that size trailer but you can do the HD cooling fan upgrade just to be safe. BTW Saw you on the other forum. Just follow this and add the fan:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/hd-cooling-fans-installed-finally-51919/

Twobobskj described the addition of extra ****** cooling in this thread too.

Edit: Sorry I actually meant "no" you wouldn't need to add the extra cooler for that size trailer.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have an external transmission cooler. ~TECHNICALLY~ to bring the tow capacity up to 5000#, you need to just add the manual clutch fan. I believe that is it. I think you would be fine with a 2500# trailer.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I towed a trailer with a gross weight at least that on two different occasions for a length of 400 miles. This was over the western end of the PA Turnpike, so lots of hills. Not even a wink from the high transmission temp light. You should be fine.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belive it's 3500 without tow package. 5k with (auto only). Wouldn't hurt to add the mech fan though if you will be doing it alot.

fourwheelin2you

Reaction score
Thinking,oh that can get me trouble..Allready have hitch,just got to wire in my brake controller & lights, already fab. ahitch to come out far enought to clear the spear tire.You think with another cooler it should work don't have a ****** tem gauge,just eideit light.We do have some big mountains here in Oregun.Does

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking,oh that can get me trouble..Allready have hitch,just got to wire in my brake controller & lights, already fab. ahitch to come out far enought to clear the spear tire.You think with another cooler it should work don't have a ****** tem gauge,just eideit light.We do have some big mountains here in Oregun.Does

I wouldn't. The transmission in your Liberty is a light duty unit originally designed for small and midsized front wheel drive cars that was modified to be used in RWD. I've seen a lot of Liberties parked due to transmission failures and engine failures.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so your saying, they make a heavyer ****** for the tow package?

No.

Ultimately it would be a good idea to install the mechanical fan with the shroud. Go ahead and service the transmission and put a new filter in it, only use ATF+4 fluid.

If you worried, install a transmission temp gauge.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so your saying, they make a heavyer ****** for the tow package?

No, they don't make a "heavy duty transmission" for a Liberty after mid 2003. Even with a tow package I wouldn't use one for towing much, and certainly not in mountains. Others will most definitely tell you differently but that is my opinion based on my experience.

fourwheelin2you

Reaction score
Ya didn't do my homework on this rig, sighn the papers on it two weeks ago because it on only had 53000 miles on it.And wasn't going to be there long just got it in. Had to get now, I am stuck with it .With a New camper that weights 2500# so I am going to make do..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine towed a 3500 lb trailer from Florida to Wisconsin without an issue. If you keep fresh fluid in the ****** and make sure you don't over heat it you should be ok. Add the mechanical fan too.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they don't make a "heavy duty transmission" for a Liberty after mid 2003. Even with a tow package I wouldn't use one for towing much, and certainly not in mountains. Others will most definitely tell you differently but that is my opinion based on my experience.

Only ''Heavy Duty'' anything for transmissions are the coolers which you have to go aftermarket for. Then its a radiator for the transmission you shove in front or behind the standard radiator that's about half the size of the standard radiator. I call it excessive overkill for transmission cooling, unless you feel the need to push your towing to the absolute limit. Of course in my time I've seen that put to the test, nothing like a Caddy Deville towing a 25ft Crown Cruiser on the interstate.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP: you will find an innumerable number of threads on here about towing. I think you'll find if you don't try and drive like an Andretti while towing you'll do fine.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two trailers, open 5X8 with 2 foot side boards that I can stack full of wood and still go down the road easily enough. Also a 6 X 10 enclosed that I have pulled thousands of miles all around Ohio, two trips to Boston and back and two to Orlando and back
All with no issues just have to know when to be careful etc

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Liberty Sport c/w the factory tow package.
Which means I have the additional trans cooler, Class III hitch and ten pin trailer wiring socket. I've added an electric brake controller for my big trailer.

I often tow a 16' floater trailer and max out my capability. The 3.7L gas model is rated for 5,000 lbs and my trailer plus load equals 5,000 lbs. It's not an easy pull.

While towing it's recommended to turn off the auto transmission's OD otherwise you will overheat the transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only ''Heavy Duty'' anything for transmissions are the coolers which you have to go aftermarket for. Then its a radiator for the transmission you shove in front or behind the standard radiator that's about half the size of the standard radiator. I call it excessive overkill for transmission cooling, unless you feel the need to push your towing to the absolute limit. Of course in my time I've seen that put to the test, nothing like a Caddy Deville towing a 25ft Crown Cruiser on the interstate.

The 42RLE transmission in the Liberty was modified from a FWD transmission used in small and midsized Dodge cars. Its a light duty thing that adding a cooler does not make it a good towing transmission. It was used in the base full size Ram and it is well known for its high failure rate. The 45RFE and variants (545RFE) were used in full sized pickups and vans behind V8s.

Depends on the Deville. If its a 70s car it has the 472 or 500 CI engine and TH400 transmission - a heavier set up than most 3/4 ton pickups. 80s will have any from a 4.1 to a 7.0 liter engine and could still have TH400 transmission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Thats not a problem, its an opportunity to install a lift
Heck I have to run at least a 6 inch drop to get my trailers to sit level

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.