06 crd daystar 1.5in kit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I will check that out and I really appreciate all the help.

thanks again and I will keep ya updated on any solutions on my end.

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear you are talking about the rubber boot on the outside of the shock. For example the rigged rubber squishy cover or the actual hard plastic cover on the shock itself?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate it and it basically means that this can occur with any lift not just the obviously dreaded "daystar lift" which is what concerns me.

I have spoken with several people that have crds and my spacer kit and have never encountered issues.

And then I go on here and its 50/50 vs several different types of lifts with some people even saying the OME is better than the FrankenLift etc. It is just very confusing and contradictory.

My concern is that even if I were to spend the money on an OME lift like yourself it appears I will still have issues.

VERY slim chance of that happening, we've installed over 35 lifts here at my place and NONE have ever had this issue. Been on the forums for over 12 years and maybe 1 out of 500 have issues with that sleeve rubbing. Of course a few never install them and leave them off . Most get bent somewhat during install I'd say so makes them rub
As far as CRD owners running the daystar , I know of very few who ever tried running one and most all were in the early days and was quick to change.
As far as Frankenlift or OME, Frankenlift uses OME springs and shocks so no difference really, just the way the Franky is sit up with the pucks. I've ran a muddified Franky, some of their parts , some of mine and while good see no reason to go the extra $$ when the same height can be had with a clvis and top plate

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be clear you are talking about the rubber boot on the outside of the shock. For example the rigged rubber squishy cover or the actual hard plastic cover on the shock itself?

He is talking about the cover that comes down over the shock

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tommudd, I really appreciate the feedback and time to reply. So It seems like my next step would be getting the OME CRD Heavy Duty package which runs around $900 for the parts?

Thanks again,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock CRD springs are rated at 410 pound, OME 927s are rated at 400 pound, OME 790s are rated at 500 pound.
I have personally ran the 790s on a gasser with an ARB up front.
Most go with the 790s
Last one I did for a customer from kentucky was a full OME kit with 790s front and 948s rear, OME shocks and JBA UCAs. Rode great

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Tom and I am having my other trusted mechanic look at them this weekend since I have another shop put the lift/struts on.

I think what my be the issue is the cover over the strut is old and the strut is new creating this noise like you stated. This did not occur before.

I am also going to look into an OME left for the CRD. From your expertise how many hours/labor would the OME kit be for my jeep?

thanks again!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again Tom and I am having my other trusted mechanic look at them this weekend since I have another shop put the lift/struts on.

I think what my be the issue is the cover over the strut is old and the strut is new creating this noise like you stated. This did not occur before.

I am also going to look into an OME left for the CRD. From your expertise how many hours/labor would the OME kit be for my jeep?

thanks again!!

Front 2-2.5 hours with just front coil / shock replacement depending on rust , who's doing it etc although some it takes 3-4 hours :shrug:
Just did mine replacing UCAs, tie rod ends, full adjustable coilovers and front took me 2 hours, but then I have done a few so couple of tricks

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Since my last post the creaking slowly got quieter. The issue im having is my tires are cupping and im not sure if its due to the lift or the tires themselves. It's only in the front and ive rotated them and had a full alignment. They are cupping in the middle of the tire

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cupping happens when your vehicle is bouncing, if its bouncing every time it hits down on the road it will cause a " cupping type wear pattern. This is caused by loose or worn parts. Could be bad shocks, wheel bearings , bushings worn out, or even things like a bent part ( LCA etc) if you’re bouncing, eventually, cupping happens.
Most times center cupping is from weak or worn out shocks.
Smaller cupping / scallops could be an issue with underinflation , but if they are larger then could be the above or unbalanced wheels or wheel bearings.
If you had cupping on the edges then it would be other issues
Another reason could be as simple as cheap tires they will sometimes cup.
But no matter what, once a tire starts to cup, its done for , no rotation is going to make that tire stop wearing the way it is now .

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd,

Thank you for the reply. I just recently changed out my lower control arms, upper and lower ball joints and struts. The tires were rotated and the cupped tires in the back are now smooth again but worn down. I have Kenda M/T Klever 245/75/r16. I want to go to a smoother AT or Street Tire but just concerned that the cupping may occur again.

I hope it isnt the suspension

Latest posts

Members online