05 KJ Wont Start..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the GM ignition problems
-had a 97 LeSabre with a Security issue resulting from ignition chip voltage mismatch or something
-had a 99 Grand Prix that randomly would not release the key from the ignition - became a PITA quickly

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-had a 97 LeSabre with a Security issue resulting from ignition chip voltage mismatch or something
-had a 99 Grand Prix that randomly would not release the key from the ignition - became a PITA quickly
The fun ones are the lock cylinders that do not like to turn,have to wiggle the key about 500 times before the key will actually turn,about 1 in 5 of all GM cars that come in have that problem.

ROHO

Reaction score
I honestly dont care the least bit if it would cause accident,fire,and/or death. It SHOULD be recalled..

Went to jeep today and got " oh, we cant sell you just that part, but we can sell you a new steering column." Me - " how much would that be?" Jeep - " It would be $700."

That's complete BS. Did some research and this is a well know issue, that Jeep refuses to do anything about. Great service!! :mad:

ROHO

Reaction score
It's not the switch by the way, even though i replaced that too. It's the part between the key cuff and the switch. I tiny bit of metal fell off it.

ROHO

Reaction score
I know it wont happen, just seems really low and shady to ignore a issue thats occuring a lot, even if it's not dangerous. That's all i was trying to say.

Thanks for the help Tony. Im going to check some junkyards. I called one today and he thought he had the part then checked and it had already been taken. I'll see if i can get a pic if i can find my memory card.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can DEFINITELY VOUCH for that, My Pontiac Grand AM 99 did it to me and it had 34 000KM on the ODO (bout 21K miles roughestimate). It got on warranty but these poor fellows at GM had a heck of a speech straight up in the stealership's showroom with 3-4 possible clients in-room... I dont know if they bought any GM that day buit they sure did get to know that was a PITA for 1 year old vehicule .... The problem was the adjustment between the ignition switch and transmission as they told me ... They did fixed it and i never got any more problems with it for the next 8 years old ...

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
It's not the switch by the way, even though i replaced that too. It's the part between the key cuff and the switch. I tiny bit of metal fell off it.

This is the piece that goes between the lock cylinder and the switch?, did it break or just wear off? If you have the piece of metal, a small drop of super glue sometimes does wonders.
Have you tried a lock smith, sometimes they have universal pieces.
Just throwing things out here.

ROHO

Reaction score
Fixed! The exact same part comes on dodge neons. Got the part for $0.00, and installed it. Not to bad compared to Jeep's wonderful price of $700?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if anyone knows the part number for the piece that broke and could let me know, this same thing just happened to my jeep and i can't really stomach paying that much for a little stupid piece of metal. thanks in advance

Mrbankangler

Reaction score
O.K., I am now in the same boat. I have my jeep torn apart in the steering column and I am currently using a screw driver and the key to start my jeep. FUN!!!!

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I was so mad at the time I almost sold my KJ.

It's a common problem and Jeep knows about it. If they didn't make crappy parts we wouldn't be dealing with this bull.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I was so mad at the time I almost sold my KJ.

It's a common problem and Jeep knows about it. If they didn't make crappy parts we wouldn't be dealing with this bull.
Not common,this makes about 12 cases that I have heard of out of 1.2 million KJ's built.Now GM has a common issue with there ignitions.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least five people on here have had the issue. There are far from 1.2 million users on this forum. So to me it's a common issue. A Jeep technician I talked to even said it was a common problem.

It shouldn't happen at all.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
if it was that little peice would the key not spring back to the run position from start position? im having a similar problem everyting works but it wont start and the key feels sloppy and when you turn it to start and let go it stays there instead of returning back to run position. sound like the same issue or just a bad switch?

The Outlaw

Reaction score
ok folks the aftermarket one works like a charm. $40 and no super glue... every parts store i called sells it but all had to order it and have it there the next morning
part name "ignition switch actuation pin"
part # DORMAN 924-704
@napa BK 6201414

it includes the whole peice plastic and all

Latest posts

Members online