05 KJ - Odometer and Trip meter not working, but the speedo works fine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZACH4

Reaction score
I have (my wife drives it) a 05 CRD and a recently she told me the trip meter stopped working. The next time I drove it I realized the odometer was not working either. The odometer just sits at the same mileage and the trip meter just displays 0. I have searched on here and from what I have found it is most likely the speed sensor on the rear diff (Part# 56041393AA), but everyone else seems to have problems with the speedometer malfunctioning, my speedo works perfectly fine. I took a look under the Jeep and the wires to the sensor don't appear to have any problems, I pulled the plug and cleaned up the connections and also removed the sensor and cleaned it. Nothing has changed. Before I get the replacement sensor is there anything else I should check or anything else I should get also (maybe something to replace the wiring harness for the sensor).

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
When my speed sensor wiring went, everything did not go out at once... it went in stages. I lost my odo/trip meter, lost my ABS, lost my speedo, lost the cruise control, eventually the brake idiot light came on, and then finally the CEL.

It might be beneficial for you to crawl under the rear of your jeep and check out the wiring that is coming off of the top of your rear diff... the plug/sensor on my KJ wasn't faulty. Instead, the wiring coming off the sensor had been rubbed through by the e-brake cable. I ended up ordering a new wire pigtail and splicing it to the existing wire, and then securing it with zip ties so it wouldn't rub again. Saved a lot of money that way.

Just a thought.

ZACH4

Reaction score
It might be beneficial for you to crawl under the rear of your jeep and check out the wiring that is coming off of the top of your rear diff... the plug/sensor on my KJ wasn't faulty. Instead, the wiring coming off the sensor had been rubbed through by the e-brake cable. I ended up ordering a new wire pigtail and splicing it to the existing wire, and then securing it with zip ties so it wouldn't rub again. Saved a lot of money that way.

Just a thought.

I looked at the wires, but maybe I missed it. Any idea what the part number is for the wire pigtail?

ZACH4

Reaction score
I'll have to look it up... it was given to me by another forum member.

If you could find that it would be great, Thanks. I'll continue searching the forums, maybe I'll stumble upon something, If I do I'll post it here.

ZACH4

Reaction score
So I replaced the wires that go from the rear diff to where it goes into the body of the Jeep. this still did not fix it, Then just for the hell of it I unplugged the sensor and drove up and down my driveway, the speedometer still works with the sensor unplugged, so apparently this "speed sensor" has nothing to do with the speedometer! So I'm going to replace the sensor and see if that fixes the odometer.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but does anybody know exactly how the axle's speed sensor functions? Is it picking up the revolution of the carrier/ring gear?

I've tried to research the topic but I can't seem to find a breakdown of the axle.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zach4 I think you will find that if you go for a longer drive with the axle sensor disconnected that the speedo does move but it tops out at a low speed of about 25mph no matter how fast you go. This I found out on my 2002 CRD. Also, after replacing my sensor...the speedo acted like this untill I had done probably 200 miles when some timer obviously decides that all is now well and everything started working properly again. Edit to add...I think the problem with your Odometer not working will only be resolved by visiting a dealer as you will need the right diagnoses equipment to fault-find that area.

Last edited:

ZACH4

Reaction score
Zach4 I think you will find that if you go for a longer drive with the axle sensor disconnected that the speedo does move but it tops out at a low speed of about 25mph no matter how fast you go. This I found out on my 2002 CRD. Also, after replacing my sensor...the speedo acted like this untill I had done probably 200 miles when some timer obviously decides that all is now well and everything started working properly again. Edit to add...I think the problem with your Odometer not working will only be resolved by visiting a dealer as you will need the right diagnoses equipment to fault-find that area.

Thanks for the info.

Like I said before I will replace the sensor and see if that helps.

Going to a dealer will be absolute last resort.

ZACH4

Reaction score
I replaced the rear speed sensor and nothing changed, so I started searching through forums and found on LOST that it could also be one of the front wheel speed sensors, and that the right front wire is often the culprit. I went out looked and sure enough the cable was almost worn all the way through. I cut and spliced the wires back together and now everything works. I taped up the splice good and zip tied it out of the way so it wont wear again.

OZZYKJ

Reaction score
I was really excited to find this thread, thought I had solved my problem...... but alas no. I too have no ODO, but I also have ABS light on.... I have inspected all of my wires, and I can't see any damage........ Stealers in Australia charge absolutely ridiculous prices, so I guess I'll replace the rear axle sensor, then the front wheel sensors..... I'll have to buy a 36mm Socket to get the front rotors off..... so this could end up a costly exercise..... I heard a rumour you can get the codes up in the ODOMETER display..... anyone know how??

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was really excited to find this thread, thought I had solved my problem...... but alas no. I too have no ODO, but I also have ABS light on.... I have inspected all of my wires, and I can't see any damage........ Stealers in Australia charge absolutely ridiculous prices, so I guess I'll replace the rear axle sensor, then the front wheel sensors..... I'll have to buy a 36mm Socket to get the front rotors off..... so this could end up a costly exercise..... I heard a rumour you can get the codes up in the ODOMETER display..... anyone know how??

Check to make sure the connection for the front right hand side in your case driver side to make sure its where it's supposed to be under the hood. There is a bolt that the loop connector goes down on.. They sometimes dislodge and slide near the engine block getting too hot. I found that out on my way to Florida, after putting the connector back where it was supposed to be I had no more ABS issues.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OZZYKJ, I have replied to your other thread about the sensors.

There is a key trick to pull codes which I believe works up to the 2005 KJs but I am pretty sure that it does not pull out ABS codes....you can give it a try:

Turn the ignition switch ON/OFF rapidly 4 times without starting the engine.
After the 4th ON action leave the ignition ON. (some people say 3 times...4 times always works for me!)

The Odometer display should display the stored codes in sequence from very old..which may no longer be relevant... to the newest.

Codes are only stored once so even if you get multiple codes for say a front sensor...the code only displays once.

Codes are not deleted using this method.

This method has a habit of sometimes transposing the last two digits so a code of P0152 for example may show up as P0125...if the code makes no sens then try swap the last two digits over.

You have to try this method a few times before you get the speed right and the amount of ON/OFF actions but I believe it works on the 2005 model.

Of course if your Odometer display is not working then this will not help you.

Excercise the Cluster gauges, cluster LEDs, Odometer etc. by holding in the Odometer Trip Reset Button while turning ON the ignition....this is not a diagnostic!

The gauges should go back and forth a few times, LED lights light up and the Odometer display should give you some display...it always ends with something like "04.1" which is the firmware level of the cluster.

OZZYKJ

Reaction score
Thanks Billwill....... i got codes P0540 and P0531..... search the forum but nothing.... where do I find out what they mean??...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Billwill....... i got codes P0540 and P0531..... search the forum but nothing.... where do I find out what they mean??...

P0504 brake switch trouble
P0531 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Latest posts

Members online