05 Jeep Liberty Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bearxox

Reaction score
When I start my 05 Jeep Liberty up in the morning and go, it loses the drive train while I am coasting, sometimes once, sometimes a few times, but then it pops back in in about 5-10 seconds. After that and it has warmed up, I can run it all day with no problems like this, it runs perfectly fine never doing this at all. The next morning it does it again, and on a hot day, I have no problems, it mostly does it on colder mornings. What I was wondering is, can this be a control module problem? Has anyone had any issues with this? I had a transmission put in it about 20,000 miles ago, but now it is starting this. I am not sure if it is a transmission thing or a control module. I get no error codes from it.

bearxox

Reaction score
When I start my 05 Jeep Liberty up in the morning and go, it loses the drive train while I am coasting, sometimes once, sometimes a few times, but then it pops back in in about 5-10 seconds. After that and it has warmed up, I can run it all day with no problems like this, it runs perfectly fine never doing this at all. The next morning it does it again, and on a hot day, I have no problems, it mostly does it on colder mornings. What I was wondering is, can this be a control module problem? Has anyone had any issues with this? I had a transmission put in it about 20,000 miles ago, but now it is starting this. I am not sure if it is a transmission thing or a control module. I get no error codes from it.

Oddly enough my Jeep Liberty finally spit out some codes P0700 (mainly) and gear 1 P0731 and gear 2 P0732 looks like it could be the sensors on the transmission. I ordered both input and output off ebay for $24. Will let you know if it fixes it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough my Jeep Liberty finally spit out some codes P0700 (mainly) and gear 1 P0731 and gear 2 P0732 looks like it could be the sensors on the transmission. I ordered both input and output off ebay for $24. Will let you know if it fixes it.

Those codes would indicate that the Clutch Value Indexes (CVI's) for those gears are not in spec with the input shaft speed and the output shaft speed - meaning the clutches are slipping. When the clutch packs go it's time for a rebuild.

But since you just replaced the ****** 20,000 miles ago that seems weird. Did the shop use ATF+4 fluid? I'm talking the real ATF+4, not a "well, it says universal on the label..." type of fluid. Was the replacement ****** a new/rebuild or a used one?

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And those sensors from eBay will probably give you the same codes. Get Mopar sensors and be done with it....

bearxox

Reaction score
Those codes would indicate that the Clutch Value Indexes (CVI's) for those gears are not in spec with the input shaft speed and the output shaft speed - meaning the clutches are slipping. When the clutch packs go it's time for a rebuild.

But since you just replaced the ****** 20,000 miles ago that seems weird. Did the shop use ATF+4 fluid? I'm talking the real ATF+4, not a "well, it says universal on the label..." type of fluid. Was the replacement ****** a new/rebuild or a used one?

Bob

It actually was pulled from another Liberty, that is what the warranty paid for. I got the sensors this afternoon, will see if it does anything. I am not sure what type of ****** fluid they put in when AAMCO did it.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double A BEEP BLEEP mco ( spoof off the old commercial) and only my opinion.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, AAMCO used their standard ****** fluid with additives. Not ATF+4.

Not even close to the same...