04 liberty 3.7 blown head gasket, I'm looking for a little advice please, here is my story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

char2004liberty

Reaction score
My 04 jeep liberty had a blown head gasket, replaced both head gaskets and had them machined before installing them, started it up and it ran good for 10 seconds, then I heard a metallic sound and it instantly shuddered, I turned it off at the same time. not sure what I should do, I'm thinking I need to tear it down before starting it again so that I don't do anymore damage or is it too late, the damage is done, spin it and see what happens?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say right off, but i think i’d pull the valve covers and have a look for a thrown/broken rocker.

But I did not hear the noise, so it is just a guess.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what kind of damage it could have caused?
If it is a rocker, little to none, possibly. I had my 06 throw 2 off back last winter because the lifter collapsed with the low oil pressure at start up. I was dumb enough to drive a mile home, and lucky enough that the only issue was rough running. Think of it as a hard miss, because one of the valves can not open to let the cylinder breathe. I ended up replacing all the lifters and let the rockers alone. There are 2 style rockers. Early engines had a rocker with a big oil weep hole drilled in the rocker. Messy when the engine is running because it slings oil everywhere. The newer ones have a much smaller weep to keep more oil in the lifter and push rod.

If it is a thrown lifter, it’ll be pretty obvious.

char2004liberty

Reaction score
If it is a rocker, little to none, possibly. I had my 06 throw 2 off back last winter because the lifter collapsed with the low oil pressure at start up. I was dumb enough to drive a mile home, and lucky enough that the only issue was rough running. Think of it as a hard miss, because one of the valves can not open to let the cylinder breathe. I ended up replacing all the lifters and let the rockers alone. There are 2 style rockers. Early engines had a rocker with a big oil weep hole drilled in the rocker. Messy when the engine is running because it slings oil everywhere. The newer ones have a much smaller weep to keep more oil in the lifter and push rod.

If it is a thrown lifter, it’ll be pretty obvious.
That's good information, thank you for you input. Im hopeing that is my problem!