04-05 KJ rear Control Arms Recall Coming...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
True, I'd have to be doing some serious cornering before it became a roll-over hazard, but it's still unacceptable.

Ironically, I'm in the Navy and currently attending an Engineering school and I've sat through hours of case studies where seemingly "minor" QA mistakes have killed people and/or caused millions (hundreds of millions in one case) of taxpayers dollars in damage. Call me picky, but I'm big on QA and I think the auto industry should be too.

Sway bar on the rear of the KJ doesn't really do that much anyways Lots of people have ran without them for years now

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep do all of the above, plus have anyone who wants to come to my garage so they can learn how to properly maintain their vehicles :33:

Ok Tom, a bunch of us are heading to your place. Break out the Burgers and BEER.....................:drink_nl:...........:happy160:..........:emoticondancer:(band).:big_banana_Dance::big_banana_Dance:

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
True, I'd have to be doing some serious cornering before it became a roll-over hazard, but it's still unacceptable.

Ironically, I'm in the Navy and currently attending an Engineering school and I've sat through hours of case studies where seemingly "minor" QA mistakes have killed people and/or caused millions (hundreds of millions in one case) of taxpayers dollars in damage. Call me picky, but I'm big on QA and I think the auto industry should be too.

No rear sway bar is fine, but I am 100% with on the QA process. They are lucky that 1. It's just a rear sway bar 2. You cared enough to look.

Had it been something more important...say a wheel....or control arms. Yikes.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Totally in agreement with you. What ****** me off is when you go back and give em an earfull and they shrug like it's nothing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok Tom, a bunch of us are heading to your place. Break out the Burgers and BEER.....................:drink_nl:...........:happy160:..........:emoticondancer:(band).:big_banana_Dance::big_banana_Dance:

Dave

Ya missed it last weekend! Even had people camping in the backyard to be here all 3 days!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Totally in agreement with you. What ****** me off is when you go back and give em an earfull and they shrug like it's nothing.

Do everything yourself and no reason to have to check someone else's work. :shrug:
Mines been through two recalls ( LBJs and rear LCAs ) and has never been inside a dealership yet

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Is it a coincidence that right after I post about being busy you post not one but two different times about being 'too busy'?

I'd love to spend all my time tinkering with my jeeps making sure every little thing that I can give my attention to is done. As soon as I find someone who will do my laundry, cook my meals, clean and maintain my home, take care of the lawn, clean up after me, and work more than 40 hours a week to support me and send my college age kid to school I'll get right on that. :favorites68:

Not to get ya riled up or anything, but it's all about priorities. I'm a single father with 3 kids. Two 7 year olds and a 9 year old. I cook and clean and maintain my home, take the kids to girl scouts, boy scouts, and all the extracurricular activities they're a part of. I work 7 days a week. I get one or two days off roughly every 4 months. I still find the time to maintain my Jeep properly. Like I stated above, it's about priorities. You have to take care of your vehicle if you want it to take care of you.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havnt read every page so i dont know if this has been asked yet but does anyone notice a loud THUMP! when going up for example a curb or something? that is, after having had this recall work done.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havnt read every page so i dont know if this has been asked yet but does anyone notice a loud THUMP! when going up for example a curb or something? that is, after having had this recall work done.

I haven't noticed that at all with mine. Should probably crawl under there and make sure everything is tight.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bring it back. Get under and check it out. Not normal.

When mine was done I had a new squeek every time the suspension flexed.

I sprayed the crap out of all the bushings, etc and no more squeek....:smokin:

Dave

Tiny SWO

Reaction score
His CRD was not originally sold in a salt belt state,he bought it used from a private party.
It also applies to states the vehicle has been registered in, not just where it was purchased. I bought mine in Utah, but I've registered it in VA, IA, and RI which are all salt belt states and I received the recall notice.

Vince Muniga, a company spokesman, wrote that the recall covered vehicles “that were originally sold in a salt belt state or are currently registered in a salt belt state.”

I guess if you bought outside a salt belt state but lived in one & kept your registration back home (as many military, college, & seasonal work folks do) you won't automatically be eligible for the repair. In any case, crawl under there and take a look. Despite doing most of my driving in salt belt states since 2006, mine had very little corrosion on them.

If there is a lot of corrosion there, Chrysler would have to really be stupid to not replace them for free as the recall explicitly states they are liable for lower control arms breaking due to excessive corrosion. They couldn't stand up in court and say someone's liberty was bought & registered in FL, therefore it was only driven in FL, and therefore they aren't liable for any problems from their known defect.

I'm assuming the dealer won't be picky about it either as Chrysler is paying them to do the work, so it shouldn't be any skin off their back at all.

Last edited:

DankyDanko

Reaction score
Chrysler has announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall of some 2004 – 2005 Jeep Liberty sport/utility vehicles that may experience excessive corrosion on the rear lower control arms. Approximately 267,353 Jeep Liberty models (209,746 U.S. and 24,727 Canada) produced from July 3, 2003 through July 14, 2005 are affected.

Corrosion on the rear lower control arms could lead to a weakening of the component and potential fracture resulting in a decrease in rear suspension stability. Failure of the rear lower control arms may cause a loss of vehicle control and increase the risk of a collision. The recall specifically affects vehicles sold or operated in the “salt belt” regions of the U.S. and Canada.

“The excessive corrosion is a result of extended exposure to road salt, which is why the campaign is limited to vehicles originally sold or currently registered in salt belt states as defined by the NHSTA,” said David Dillon, Head of Product Investigation and Campaigns, Chrysler Group LLC.
(from truecar.com)

I had my recall done a little more than a month ago. This was a fun thread to follow. People were heated about it. This post shows. A. It was not a forced recall by all means considering it is called a voluntary safety recall. B. People can complain all they want about how jeep is stupid because it is consumer neglect, but some of those same people waited the 45 minutes to 2 hours for the free parts and labor when they stated that their control arms were perfect before even making the appointment. Just everyone be calm because Free Parts=Awesome. I'm not a ****** customer and demanded free stuff. I just got the letter saying go have some free stuff.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler has announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall of some 2004 – 2005 Jeep Liberty sport/utility vehicles that may experience excessive corrosion on the rear lower control arms. Approximately 267,353 Jeep Liberty models (209,746 U.S. and 24,727 Canada) produced from July 3, 2003 through July 14, 2005 are affected.

Corrosion on the rear lower control arms could lead to a weakening of the component and potential fracture resulting in a decrease in rear suspension stability. Failure of the rear lower control arms may cause a loss of vehicle control and increase the risk of a collision. The recall specifically affects vehicles sold or operated in the “salt belt” regions of the U.S. and Canada.

“The excessive corrosion is a result of extended exposure to road salt, which is why the campaign is limited to vehicles originally sold or currently registered in salt belt states as defined by the NHSTA,” said David Dillon, Head of Product Investigation and Campaigns, Chrysler Group LLC.
(from truecar.com)

I had my recall done a little more than a month ago. This was a fun thread to follow. People were heated about it. This post shows. A. It was not a forced recall by all means considering it is called a voluntary safety recall. B. People can complain all they want about how jeep is stupid because it is consumer neglect, but some of those same people waited the 45 minutes to 2 hours for the free parts and labor when they stated that their control arms were perfect before even making the appointment. Just everyone be calm because Free Parts=Awesome. I'm not a ****** customer and demanded free stuff. I just got the letter saying go have some free stuff.

...also you need these done for insurance reasons.

Got mine done about a week ago. Was a very pleasant experience! I don't see a difference between mine (which had a little outer rust) and the new ones. Same shape.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just got my first recall for the rear lower control arms today. It's states the issue on 04-05 KJs and displays my vin number as being one of the KJs with the faulty arms. However, I have a 06 model that was built in April of that same year. Has anyone else received a recall noticed for a KJ not built between 04-05?

Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my recall letter for my 06. It once lived in New Jersey, then it moved to Arkansas.

My letter covers from 04 to 07 year models