04-05 KJ rear Control Arms Recall Coming...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and North/South Dakota are now considered "Tropical States"...(banghead)
Damn you Al Gore and your global warming....

Seriously?! I'd be hard pressed to acknowledge Florida as a tropical state, it's cold up there!

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and I was thinking of calling my dealership to see if this recall was going to be extended to the UK. Before I could, however, they phoned me this afternoon to tell me about it, and I'm now booked in for first thing Monday morning.

Tinkrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 05 KJ done yesterday took 1.5 Hrs
To-day I installed a BlueOx baseplate so I can tow the Liberty behind another vehicle.
Tommorrow I will install the Breakaway switch, for the Brake Buddy, and install the trailer lighting in the tailight housings

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I called the dealership this morning and asked them if our KJ would be included in the recal due to it coming from a province that uses salt regularly in the winter.
The service manager said he'd look into it and call me back either Friday or Monday and let me know...

Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Right?

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with the control arms as it sits.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check on the website, no need to waste time calling the dealer.

Jeep - Contact Us

I didn't even call to ask or wait for the letter. I just called to make the appointment and that was that :D

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and I was thinking of calling my dealership to see if this recall was going to be extended to the UK. Before I could, however, they phoned me this afternoon to tell me about it, and I'm now booked in for first thing Monday morning.

Lancer,
I suppose this would not apply to my KJ to, I have a 2003, shame as I could do with getting them up dated on mine.

Fil.

Last edited:

04 Silver Renegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine replaced on 4/20 in the morning. Dropped it off at 0730, got a phone call at 0900 to pick it up. Nice to see new lower control arms... Ride feels a lil better unless it's all in my head ha ha.
Just in time too cause I am installing my OME/Bilstein Lift next week :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its really funny that people replace all kinds of other bushings in the front end but never think about the rear. Now that you all are getting free ones its like Wow it handles better. Why of course it does :happy175:
:whip::whip::whip::whip::killit:

KJJ

Reaction score
You can check on the website, no need to waste time calling the dealer.

Jeep - Contact Us

I didn't even call to ask or wait for the letter. I just called to make the appointment and that was that :D

I had mine done on 3/24/12. I was at the dealer for some brakes on the '05 and they asked if they could go ahead and take care of the recall. Lucky me, I didn't even have to be inconvenienced by having to go back a second time. Got my notice for the recall last week.

As it was explained to me the part was being recalled because of a design defect that made it more likely to rust and fail. I wish I had known about it before hand so I could have crawled under there to compare the '05 to the '06. You know what, I am one of those people who don't regularly wash the underside of my jeep. I have a full time and then some job, a house and yard to keep, and am a parent. Simply put, I'm busy. I've shelled out quite a lot of cash to purchase not one, but two Liberties so to me its nice to know that Chrysler isn't going leave mine or my kid's life hanging on the question of whether I managed to get to a car wash weekly. Also, coming from the perspective of someone knee deep in corporate America, I seriously doubt they would have spent one red cent on this recall if it was purely user error. Corporations are kind of cold blooded like that.:emotions33:

ETA: I forgot to mention that around here when the temp drops below a certain level the car washes close so even if you can find the time to go you might not be able to get a bottom blast until the temps rise.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Its really funny that people replace all kinds of other bushings in the front end but never think about the rear. Now that you all are getting free ones its like Wow it handles better. Why of course it does :happy175:
:whip::whip::whip::whip::killit:

Yeah no shit Tom.
But most people don't even do regular maintainance either.
They're Too busy" and too cheap, and have all sorts of other excuses!

Last edited:

KJJ

Reaction score
Yeah no shit Tom.
But most people don't even do regular maintainance either.
They're Too busy" and too cheap, and have all sorts of other excuses!

Hmmm... Is it a coincidence that right after I post about being busy you post not one but two different times about being 'too busy'?

I'd love to spend all my time tinkering with my jeeps making sure every little thing that I can give my attention to is done. As soon as I find someone who will do my laundry, cook my meals, clean and maintain my home, take care of the lawn, clean up after me, and work more than 40 hours a week to support me and send my college age kid to school I'll get right on that. :favorites68:

Tiny SWO

Reaction score
So I drop my Liberty off this morning to have the recall repair done and they call me before 9 am to let me know the repairs are complete. At lunch, I pick it up & head back to work. When I get out I decide to take a peek at the new control arm and this is what I see on both sides where the sway bar attaches to the control arm.

You must be registered for see images attach

I take it back & they apologize for their "oversight" and torque the bolts down. I ask them about their QA process to ensure that this doesn't happen & I get a bunch of mumbled answers. I ask them if they do anything like a QA audit or survey when they have a QA problem like this and the answer was "this rarely happens". I've filed a complaint at the corporate level and we'll see what happens from there.

In the meantime, if there's any fellow New Englanders here, please avoid Clare Dodge in Middletown, RI.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens all the time I bet. Years ago I had front end work done to the rustang I had and they forgot to torque down the caliper bolts. Did realize anything was wrong until going under an overpass and hearing a grinding. Then I noticed severly decreased braking. I made it to were I was going by utilizing the e brake. Needless to say I've never been back to them and still today I tell people the story when they say they're going there.

This really isn't that severe of a safety hazard. You can take the rear stabilizer off with no I'll effect.

Tiny SWO

Reaction score
True, I'd have to be doing some serious cornering before it became a roll-over hazard, but it's still unacceptable.

Ironically, I'm in the Navy and currently attending an Engineering school and I've sat through hours of case studies where seemingly "minor" QA mistakes have killed people and/or caused millions (hundreds of millions in one case) of taxpayers dollars in damage. Call me picky, but I'm big on QA and I think the auto industry should be too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Is it a coincidence that right after I post about being busy you post not one but two different times about being 'too busy'?

I'd love to spend all my time tinkering with my jeeps making sure every little thing that I can give my attention to is done. As soon as I find someone who will do my laundry, cook my meals, clean and maintain my home, take care of the lawn, clean up after me, and work more than 40 hours a week to support me and send my college age kid to school I'll get right on that. :favorites68:

Yep do all of the above, plus have anyone who wants to come to my garage so they can learn how to properly maintain their vehicles :33:

Latest posts

Members online