03 KJ, Front Speaker Replacement??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you replace the front door speakers with something aftermarket? I see it has an amplified/powered speaker which drives the rear speaker as well on the same side.

If you replace with an aftermarket speaker how do you keep the amp, is it removable from the stock speaker at all?

I want to keep the good performance i have now, i just have one speaker thats rattling like a tin can, the front passenger speaker is kaput.

I had a look on eBay, one front speaker available on there, OEM. I might watch that and toss a bid on it. I'm completely satisfied with the stock sound, just ***** that i have one crappy speaker.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a better handle on this with some reading. It's starting to look like i can pull the amp/crossover off the front speaker and disconnect it from the OEM speaker and connect it to the replacement. Should be easy enough to attach the speaker/crossover to the new speaker with some double sided tape or velcro to keep the rest of the system intact.

The question is this is a component based system, so the speakers in the front doors are just woofers right???

I haven't figured out how to remove the door panel and look it over yet, but i do have the infinity sound system with the built amp/crossover on the front speakers, that much i know.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Door panel is very easy to remove, just two screws and 10clips, if they brake, they ar like 10 cents each.

On the other hand:

Someone over at lost replaced the speakers, was able to use stock amps...he just had to mount the factory amp to the door (inside) and just tap into the the amp. He went with kenwood aftermarkets and he said he could get a decent sound out of it. You just gotta bit a little crafty and simply mount the amp on one of the metal pieces inside the door.

I hope I have his permission to share his creation (I will PM him)
You must be registered for see images attach

The metal piece is actually part of amp, so you can use that.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that's what i am thinking of doing on mine, i'm good at fabricating stuff like this.

I'm almost certain i have the infinity because i have the tweeters up in the dash, but other than taking the door apart and checking for the amp on the front speaker is there another way to confirm that it is indeed the upgraded sound system? Is there a difference in the HU on the infinity that gives it away??

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, had to do it, took the doors apart.

Yep, that's what i have, crappy infinity speakers. The passenger side one is totally separated all the way around, the drivers side is starting with a couple inches that came apart.

Looks like its time to get some better economy priced replacements.

In those pictures what is the replacement woofer that he used??

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said those are Kenwood 6.5" speakers. He did not mention model no but based on grill we may figure out. lets see

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i will have to browse a bit. Also looking at a re-foam kit for the infinity speakers, yeah i know i can replace them too, but for about $20 i can buy the kit and it looks like a fun challenge also!!

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to keep the amplified unit? Is this some kind of perk opposed to installing an aftermarket amp? Also do all the speakers have that set up? I know people refer to the "premium" set up and when I asked how to tell the difference they said read your build sheet. Mine just says "6 speakers". So do I not have this "problem" when it would come time to upgrading my speakers?

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those amps/crossovers on the front speakers in the Infinity system mean it ***** to replace them with regular speakers, and you loose the function of the tweeters in the dash without keeping it or adding another crossover.

The Infinity system is actually plenty loud and good enough for me, sounds good too. But the speakers suffer from foam rot pretty badly. I ordered a set of re-foam kits to try that first, for $20 i figured it was worth a shot to try saving them first.

I saw some pictures on here and a couple other places where someone took apart that amp/crossover. I tracked down the component part numbers in that little black box and its transistor is indeed an amp, so its not just a crossover like some think. It actually amplifies the output from the HU to drive the front speaker its attached to as well as the rear speaker on the same side, and of course the tweeter on that side as well.

I tried a regular speaker in place of the stock infinity without that amp/crossover inline and it ***** at best, not enough power from the HU itself without it. I would guess the HU is running 5-10w of drive to the amp because the transistor used in the amp is rated for a max of 10w drive.

Anyway, i will continue on this in my re-foam thread in the Electronics section on here and plan on doing a write-up with pics for the how-to section if anyone is interested in seeing me re-foam the Infinity's in there now. Should be a fun project!

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had to replace the front door speakers in my 2002 Liberty, that had the Infinity set-up. After reading here and other places, I pulled the door panels, pulled the speakers, unbolted the speakers from their crossover/amp thingies.

I drilled a couple of mounting holes and affixed the crossovers to the inside of each door, just a half inch below each speaker opening with nuts and bolts. I made jumper wires with crimp-on blade connectors to run from the crossovers to the speakers.

Used Pioneer 3-way speakers from BestBuy, about $60 for the pair. They were a little smaller than the hole from the old speakers, so I mounted them low in the opening and caught 3 sides, seems solid, time will tell if I need to do more. It isn't like the stock system pumps out megawatts.

Anyhow, they sound GREAT!!! I guess the old speakers had been gradually deteriorating over time, and I just hadn't noticed. These sound so nice a crisp and clear.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm kinda confused, I have not seen my build sheet but I have replaced my head unit. I am debating changing my doors and dash tweeters sometime this week. I have a sport that came with the stock steel wheels, cloth seats, and single disk HU, so I would think that I have the non infinity, BUT! I have tweeters on the dash from the factory. Will I or will I not have to mess around with amps in the doors?

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm kinda confused, I have not seen my build sheet but I have replaced my head unit. I am debating changing my doors and dash tweeters sometime this week. I have a sport that came with the stock steel wheels, cloth seats, and single disk HU, so I would think that I have the non infinity, BUT! I have tweeters on the dash from the factory. Will I or will I not have to mess around with amps in the doors?

If you replaced the HU you shouldnt have an issue because the wattage in the new HU should be greater than what the stock HU was putting out. So, if you doo have the amps, you could do what others mentioned and take it apart from the stock speaker and bolt it to the door, or remove it all together because the new HU most likely will send more wattage than the stock HU.

I have the Infinity system in my 2002 Limited and just replaced the HU and front door speakers because the passenger side speaker was blown. Im running a Sony Xplode Bluetooth HU @ 52 watts x 4, Sony Xplode 6.5" 4 way woofers, a 10" MTX sub powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch 120 amp. I hooked my door speakers up directly to the HU and they sound great. When it get's warmer Im going to hook up the rear door speakers and the dash midranges to see how they sound. I may replace them down the line but if they can handle the wattage from the HU I'll wait until I blow them. Hope this helps?

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so do the amps in the door speakers use a hi level input? or will i need to run speaker wire from my HU. sorry i'm used to the old infinity head units that said infinity on them and had an amp under the back seat (grand cherokee 1995). i may have to take one out today just to see whats up.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Crutchfield, or visit their website. They have never steered me wrong.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the stock radio in my 05 Renegade with an aftermarket Kenwood. Everything works but the audio. Do I have to bypass the amps in the doors?

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After tons of trial and error along with web searches Ive figured it out. I installed a Kenwood KIV-BT900, and in order to get sound out of the Infinity speakers with out having to bypass the amp/crossover you simply need to just connect the power antenna wires from both after market head unit and wire harness.

Delnorin

Reaction score

The wire harness was not long enough for me to mount it on the door like this. I just laid a hand-towel in the bottom of the door and then laid the amp in the towel and wired right up to the speaker (bought some 6.5" Pionner speakers today). Tada.. $25 to do it myself vs $200 to have the dealer do it.

My task here was done on a: 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition

Win!

Last edited: