03 KJ, Front Speaker Replacement??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done running new wires into passenger front door. What a bi@tch!!! I ended up taking the door off to run the wires through the boot. There's a void in the orange connector that you can snap some plastic out of and it makes a perfect hole for a speaker wire. This would be nearly impossible with the door on.

Also found out I don't have the premium sound. I thought I did all along. I have tweeters in the dash and I thought only the premium sound came with tweeters. Guess I was wrong.

Does anyone know where the driver door speaker wire can be tapped into without running a new wire into the door? When I was doing the passenger I tried finding the wires inside by color, but couldn't see them. Haven't looked at driver door yet, had enough for today.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the easy way out for the driver door. I found the wiring schematic online and the driver door speaker is dark green + and brown/red stripe -. That's for an 04. they vary from year to year or something. all I know is that an 06 is different.

Found those wires inside the kick panel and cut and spliced my new speaker wire to that. Took 30 minutes compared to about almost 3 hours for the passenger door taking it off and everything.

So, if you find the wiring diagram for your year it is possible to just cut and attach your new wires to the existing wires. The speaker wires seem to be a decent gauge already, so why not. They seem to be about 16 gauge which I believe is plenty for those speakers.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o have heard that if you have the steering wheel sound and radio controls then you have the premium sound system. just fyi

Mojo_kj

Reaction score
ok....forgive my ignorance, as Im new to this particular Jeep set-up.
in any other vehicle that I have owned, without stupid amps on the speakers, i installed a new HU, and those wires went straight to the speakers, no prob. SO...I have installed a new HU in the liberty, and have purchased new speakers, as the paper wonders are all torn.....when disconnecting the stock speaker/amp, I noticed 10 wires in the harness.
does ANYONE know where to find what these wires do?
I imagine that 2 go to the dash speaker, 2 are input for the rear speaker, 2 are then output for the rear speaker, that leaves 4 wires, if 2 are for the speaker in that location, what are the other 2 for?
Can we not just snip off the connector, join the rear speaker straight through, and then wire up the remaining wires to an aftermarket crossover that comes with a nice new set of components?!
This is my aim, as the head unit puts out enough power for the speakers, an amp is nice but not needed.....but I cannot for the life of me find a wiring diagram that labels these wires.
If anyone has some insight, please let me know!!! It shouldnt be necessary to run new wires from each speaker to the head-unit as all the wire is already there - we just need to figure out which ones to join to what!
If someone can get me a wiring diagram, I`ll be the guinnea pig and do the install, ill take pics and post em for everyone too!!!!

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cousin hooked my 03 Liberty Limited with the 2 amps in the front...

All 4 speakers...From what I remember he just found the 2 colors (pretty much by guessing) that ran to the after market speakers and worked....Then he taped off the other 100 wires (maybe 5!) and drilled 4 screws into the panel so it was secured on...

The rear door speakers were easier...

Mojo_kj

Reaction score
Here is what I did, some may want to keep the amps, but I thought Id show a nice easy way to upgrade the whole system. I installed a pioneer HU with bluetooth and all that for only $150 or so from amazon.com, then I picked up a set of front component speakers from Futureshop - Kenwood KFC-P709PS. They are usually $169.99 - on sale for $129.99. They arent B&O or anything, but they do much better than the stock paper speakers that were nicely torn!
First, disconnect the harness from the rear of the amp. You will see 10 wires here - follow the link i posted a few posts up from this one, and youll find what all those wires are by the color codes.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next, I snipped off the Rear Speaker+ input, and the Rear Speaker+ output, and joined them together. Then I did the same with the Rear- in and Rear- out, so power from the headunit will flow straight to the rear speakers.

Next I snipped off the Dash+ and Dash- speaker wires, and connected them to the "tweeter side" of my crossover. There are many different looking crossovers, mine look like this.

Next, I snipped the Front Door Speaker+ and - and crimped on female connectors - these will connect to the speaker...

Mojo_kj

Reaction score
Now you should be left with 2 wires in the amp connector - These are the 12v+ and the Ground wire to power the amp - that I removed. So you can either wrap this whole thing up in a ball of tape, or you can snip the wires off individually, and isolate them (wrap the wire up in tape so that I cant make connection with anything else).

I then taped up all the wire, and the crossover, and tucked it inside the door - towards the front of the vehicle - just passed all the window track. This way nothing will get in the way of the window operation.

Mount the provided speaker trim ring (provided with my particular speaker kit - sold seperately with others). I was then left with 2 sets of wire - the 2 speaker wires from the headunit (the ones I crimped connectors onto) and the wires from the crossover for the woofer. I connected both + leads to the + terminal of the speaker, and the - leads to the - terminal of the speaker.

Mount the speaker - and there you have it - good sound at a good price - no goofy amp! - Only took about 25 mins per door - including door panel removal and re-install. Actually one of the easiest vehicles I have ever done this to.

I hope this helps?! Next thing is to remove the dash speakers and install the tweeters.....More pics to follow!!!

Mojo_kj

Reaction score
This was much easier than I thought....
Once the dash cover was removed and the speaker exposed:
Remove the 2 srews holding the speaker in - socket wrench will work much better under the windshield..

Underneath you will find a quick connect. Dis-connect it, and remove the speaker.

You could do this several ways, but I chose to cut off the quick connect, and attatch it to the wires of the tweeter.

***If the tweeter will be housed in a basket - or something that the wires have to go through, do that BEFORE attatching the quick connect. Unlike me, who had to take it appart and do it again!!***

I was actually able to bend straight some of the supplied mounting clips, and use them to attatch to the tweeter basket, so that they would line up with the stock mount holes. (As the 1" tweeter is much smaller than the stock speaker) Doesnt look pretty, but its SOLID. No movement or vibration. Just clip the quick connect back in place, install the speaker (however you choose to rig up yours) and replace the cover and a-pillars.

Now just sit back and enjoy the sweet sounds....then sit up, and change the rear door speakers!!

jimithing78

Reaction score
This was much easier than I thought....
Once the dash cover was removed and the speaker exposed:

Mojo - thanks for the great writeup and pics. Quick question on the dash cover - how does it come off? Are there screws holding it in place or does it just pop off with a little prying?